Running With the Foghorn Leghorn

I think the off road segments are a little wonky in general given the lower quality GPS data under tree cover and less land marks/ definable areas to make segments and the greater potential for taking different trails for longer segments (ie six mile). Adding that all together and I think it takes away from their validity.

Reactions: rlb
I think the off road segments are a little wonky in general given the lower quality GPS data under tree cover and less land marks/ definable areas to make segments and the greater potential for taking different trails for longer segments (ie six mile). Adding that all together and I think it takes away from their validity.

I have a Garmin 8,000,000. Problem solved.

I have a Garmin 8,000,000. Problem solved.
I know it is just a gauge to compare against but, as you know, this consumer grade stuff is +/- up to 150' from what we have seen from testing. I mean, they can be sub 10' but that is in perfect conditions. So even if we are at 25' accuracy, if it grabs a point plus 25' at the end of the segment, you are 25' faster than reality. Roads segments will be better but still could have that error.

I was looking at some of the segments at Mercer and shit, I have no idea how anyone can follow some of them due to the spider web of trails. I guess some place like CR, that is less of an issue.

I know it is just a gauge to compare against but, as you know, this consumer grade stuff is +/- up to 150' from what we have seen from testing. I mean, they can be sub 10' but that is in perfect conditions. So even if we are at 25' accuracy, if it grabs a point plus 25' at the end of the segment, you are 25' faster than reality. Roads segments will be better but still could have that error.

I was looking at some of the segments at Mercer and shit, I have no idea how anyone can follow some of them due to the spider web of trails. I guess some place like CR, that is less of an issue.

But the box says more better.

same goes for the phones. there are times when i am riding with people when i am out in front and it shows me behind them the whole time on flyby, or that it took me longer to get down a section (because i knows i ain't beating anyone up anything) even though i am waiting at the bottom for them. just means i have to go even fasterer next time. makes it more funnerer. i think my phone is either high or records at soundz 1.5x times speed so playback is slow.

same goes for the phones. there are times when i am riding with people when i am out in front and it shows me behind them the whole time on flyby, or that it took me longer to get down a section (because i knows i ain't beating anyone up anything) even though i am waiting at the bottom for them. just means i have to go even fasterer next time. makes it more funnerer. i think my phone is either high or records at soundz 1.5x times speed so playback is slow.

Quit talking about me :D

Re: strava segments/KOMs since I'm not the fastest rider around I like to create obscure segments in areas most people don't ride. Then if a real speedster comes by and blows away my KOM time, I follow Norm's friend's lead and delete the segment - I'm all about sportsmanship!

I feel like my iPhone 6 does a better job in my pocket than a Garmin 705 in my pocket. In such a scenario, a straight line looks like a straight line recorded with my phone, but the Garmin tends to be more jagged. I guess because it's using a combo of cell tower data, wifi data and gps.

phone using gps-a, and GLONASS - garmin is not.

----

do the commercial units also receive WAAS? atmospheric and positioning correction data..

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Talking about a Strava segment with stb is like rolling a ball of yarn in front of a cat. Rlb is usually next in line. Yes indeed it may not be the most accurate tool in the world but neither is the English language and here we are stuck with it. The takeaway is that a top 5 is better than a bottom 5. Iggy also can't help himself.

I find that the off-road stuff never gets easier, it only gets harder. Every TM in CR adds distance or turns to the trail. Over time it just gets harder, never easier. See the overall Six Mile KOM. Is that beatable on a motorcycle at this point?

Serious question. Is drama a de facto virus of the mind? Just think about that before you answer. I think it may be. This comment is not about Strava segments.

I felt compelled to prove or disprove @clarkenstein's concept ride today but it was supposed to be an easy day. In the end I rode 2:10 and hobbled home exhausted. It was a cool ass road that time has kinda forgotten in a way. I don't know why but the road was really neat in an exploratory way. Maybe because I've literally ridden by it 350 times and had no idea it was there. Some cool houses and some stuff that time forgot. An overgrown tennis court is always interesting to me.

I'm sick of that area though. Lake road closed again. 202 south closed again. They really suck out there.

LoseIt tells me I am about 6000 calories in the hole already this week. That seems a lot but I do tend towards OCD behavior at times. So far this week has been good. But less satisfying on an eating level. But probably necessary if I want to take the White Climb of Death back.

I love this job. Almost total control of my work & hours and it allows me to ride & work everything together really well right now. I think I have 35 hours in this week so another 5 tomorrow and I'm set for the week. I like banking hours early so I can take half days to ride. Of course I'm exhausted today so I won't be doing much tomorrow.

As tempted as I am to make a video I'm gonna wait until Tuesday.

Last edited:
Wednesday, May 7, 2015
Serious question. Is drama a de facto virus of the mind? Just think about that before you answer. I think it may be. This comment is not about Strava segments.

thought about this many times - in so many cases, drama works.

"OMG, this <blank> is killing me."
No it isn't - suck it up, and stop complaining.
see, i matched drama, with drama.

the big one is with kids, we take them from youngins, where we can tell
them the right thing to do, or that they were wrong, to some very low double digit age, where "telling them" produces some drama from both sides....
so it takes awhile to realize, just because "we" know the right thing, doesn't mean taking the role of director is the right one.

same crap at work or family. i alluded to it in a previous post - moving a person off a position can be damn near impossible without giving them a path
to walk down with their head up.

defending a position produces drama

you also mentioned language - what happens when command of the language falls short of communicating the point begin made.
kid, "I hate you" - really means "i was thinking about that ice cream trip all day, and now you are tired. You have disappointed me"
(of course kids don't anticipate anything more than 15 seconds away, which is why doing homework before 9pm......)

adult, "i hate you" - could mean "i'm jealous of your..."

Drama ensues.

saving add'l material for my thread :)

good egg layers? planning to build a coop this fall for fresh eggs
how do they hold out in NJ winters?

they get eaten by the fox/racoons/etc....start again with new ones in the spring.

seriously, my brother's that didn't get eaten were fine in a closed in area out of the wind.
he may have put a heating pad in on the coldest nights, and has a water bowl that doesn't freeze too.

good egg layers? planning to build a coop this fall for fresh eggs
how do they hold out in NJ winters?
they are the best egg layers. they are not hardy.
rhode island red are very hardy, good egg layers.
get some golden comets or red sex links. they are hybrids that do very well. half rhode island red/white and half something else.
the sex linking is key so you don't wind up with roosters.

Wednesday, May 7, 2015

Talking about a Strava segment with stb is like rolling a ball of yarn in front of a cat. Rlb is usually next in line. Yes indeed it may not be the most accurate tool in the world but neither is the English language and here we are stuck with it. The takeaway is that a top 5 is better than a bottom 5. Iggy also can't help himself.

KdQR0q.gif

I know cr as well as anybody. Seriously, i know every rock in that place.

I have no idea when these segments start or end. I don't think I've ever really been confident on knowing the start or finish for any except for the climb up yellow and maybe the guard rail climb.

I should just ask @Clapper....I know he's got all them memorized.

Though I've been to CR more than any other park in the last 6 months, two lefts and I'm lost
pretty frustrating when I only have an hour. Fine with Red, blue and white as the trails are well ridden, but can't seem to avoid getting lost on yellow and orange every time I get out. I'll figure it out, not sure GPS will help much

Back
Top Bottom