Rumble in the Jungle 2012 Edition

GPS is tough at the Jungle - trails are close together. For anyone who is interested, we will be doing a very beginner paced ride on Thursday, May 17, meeting at gate at 5:30 p.m. We'll do the Cat 2/3 loop. If you don't want to do our pace/loop, but have some questions, come on out, we're happy to help you out.

We plan on starting to mark the course Friday afternoon (with the understanding that the small changes between the 2 courses will not be completely taped off until race day), it should be ready by late Friday.

Planning on Thursday night 5:45 PM

Shooting for 2 laps of Cat 2 loop :getsome:

Be forewarned I know the park fairly well but staying on the course is another story - GPS works like your in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle up there

I'm not racing but may join you to give you some motivation:)

After discussing with someone last night, I'll throw this out there. I'm not sure that drop off the concrete block is a wonderful idea to have in the course. I think there's too much of a chance something bad happens there.

I'd also cut the vines off that 1 log. Those are pedal grabbers for sure.

I'm more concerned with outside the fence line up top. I'll make sure there's someone in both places.

I'm more concerned with outside the fence line up top. I'll make sure there's someone in both places.

With the grass growing in that's a sketchy spot for sure. The ground drops off quick before the turn back into the singletrack and there are a few nice endo spots that are not obvious when coming up on them with speed. Is the plan to shout a warning to racers as they approach the spot or something else?

Total Jungle Habitat newbie question: how does this race stack up against Waywayanda, bumpy-bits-wise? I suck on rocks (and flat stuff) and am a bit concerned that I'll be in over my head again, as I am at Wayway every. freaking. time. Will I live? Should I line up a blood-donor in advance?

In my opinion, Waway is a touch smoother and flowy than Jungle. Jungle has plenty of rocky/bouncy sections. However, This year the promoters have done a good job with trail choice to make the Jungle race a bit more enjoyable for all levels.

Total Jungle Habitat newbie question: how does this race stack up against Waywayanda, bumpy-bits-wise? I suck on rocks (and flat stuff) and am a bit concerned that I'll be in over my head again, as I am at Wayway every. freaking. time. Will I live? Should I line up a blood-donor in advance?

Generally Jungle is tighter and rockier than Waway. However, the cat 2 loop at Waway included all of Hoferlein, White Dot and Sitting Bear so I would give a slight edge to the Waway loop as far as rockiness goes. The jungle loop is tighter, even the double track is not that wide and there is no fire road at all(with the exception being Safari 1 which is actually a tar path). Most if not all of the singletrack bits are too narrow to pass. I always feel that Jungle reveals how good or bad you are at steering more than Waway. The climb up otter slide when compared to the big climb on red dot is not as demanding cardio-wise but is much more technically challenging. You should get out and do the loop, both places are awesome in different ways.

Sean if you survived waywayanda, you will be fine on this course. Jungle will usually beat you up a little more in that the surface has more small rocks to knock you around, but this loop is overall less technical than the waywayanda loop.

Piyxchick! Jimf! Play! Utah! Thanks very much for the info. I'm still on the fence. I took a nice header at Wayway, and I might wait til after the scabs're off before I go drawing on myself with the rocks and dirt again. That said, come evening, I'm always one beer away from signing up for something silly...

Back
Top Bottom