Roadie Tips To Stay Alive...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
all you need for a phone to receive radio frequency is an antenna, and in many cases, headphones plugged into the phone is all you need for that. if an app were to receive a frequency then turn it into a signal the LDW systems sees then it should be pretty simple.

edit- gps would be more efficient but you get the gist of it, whatever It, is.
edit.2- if Dominos can create a self driving delivery car, then i think this technology would be a simple feat.

airplanes do this now using ADS - they transmit their position so everyone can hear it (using GPS) - everyone that can hear it gets it directly,
others that can't, get it through a repeater (down to ground, up to satellite, back to plane) - that is 3 dimensions, and unrestricted turning,
and the alerts are very accurate - put it in 2D and limit it to roads. This "hive" mentality is what will eventually eliminate the ethical problem of
should a car kill/injure a pedestrian or occupant if the decision needs to be made, cause the car will know about the pedestrian way before it becomes a problem.

Last edited:

RobW

airplanes do this now using ADS - they transmit their position so everyone can hear it (using GPS) - everyone that can hear it gets it directly,
others that can't get it through a repeater (down to ground, up to satellite, back to plane) - that is 3 dimensions, and unrestricted turning,
and the alerts are very accurate - put it in 2D and limit it to roads. This "hive" mentality is what will eventually eliminate the ethical problem of
should a car kill/injure a pedestrian or occupant if the decision needs to be made, cause the car will know about the pedestrian way before it becomes a problem.
Cool! The link I posted talks about vision systems utilizing lazer technology... all I think about is Dr. 3vil “lasers”. However, vision systems have come a long way just in manufacturing and I am sure the type of system Kevin was talking about will come to fruition. It just takes the marketing to make it launch.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i cut through neighborhoods whenever possible

I don't like riding on roads, but I do like riding from my house to some local trails. A favorite pastime of mine is to look at Google satellite imagery and find parking lots, apartment complexes, corporate centers, driveways, railroad tracks, etc that I can cut through to minimize road riding.

RobW

I don't like riding on roads, but I do like riding from my house to some local trails. A favorite pastime of mine is to look at Google satellite imagery and find parking lots, apartment complexes, corporate centers, driveways, railroad tracks, etc that I can cut through to minimize road riding.
I still do that Bc I don’t know the roads in this town yet

rick81721

Lothar
It's a 2 lane road with a bike sharing lane on the right. They moved from the right lane to the left in preparation for a left turn at an approaching intersection when they got hit. At least all were wearing helmets.

Update: one of the cyclists never regained consciousness and was taken off life support. RIP

Don't remember if I posted this but these "experienced" cyclists blew it. They should have never moved into the traffic lanes where they did - too far from the intersection, especially with a car barreling down in one of the lanes. And add bright, low angle sun in the driver's eyes.

Mahnken

Update: one of the cyclists never regained consciousness and was taken off life support. RIP

Don't remember if I posted this but these "experienced" cyclists blew it. They should have never moved into the traffic lanes where they did - too far from the intersection, especially with a car barreling down in one of the lanes. And add bright, low angle sun in the driver's eyes.
Even if they moved over too early, shouldn't you slow the fuck down if there sun is blinding you? That means that she would have plowed into anything that was on the road. She would have plowed into a car that had slowed down because of the blinding sun. You can't just keep driving blind.

rick81721

Lothar
Even if they moved over too early, shouldn't you slow the fuck down if there sun is blinding you? That means that she would have plowed into anything that was on the road. She would have plowed into a car that had slowed down because of the blinding sun. You can't just keep driving blind.

Didn't say she was "blinded", just that it made a bad situation even worse. They swung in front of her and she never saw them.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It is also because people dont care if they are late to work (or care less) because you are only eating into company time. On the way home, you are eating into their time....

Agreed. I asked Fred about this years ago, and he confirmed. Far more accidents post-work as compared to pre-work.

rick81721

Lothar
2003 Strava Challenge?

also.. "An FHP spokesperson said there is an ongoing traffic homicide investigation"

Missprint - I think I read elsewhere it was 2013. Highway patrol still investigating but I doubt anything will change. Jack was in the rear and got hit first. As experienced as this guy was, I don't see how he would've made that lane change until he just blindly followed the leader.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i corrected the title - not sure how long it has been bugging me. let me know if you even noticed....i'll change it back.
if you have no clue what this is about, that is fine. Continue your day.

rick81721

Lothar
More thoughts about the rider who died. I wonder if the "law of averages" caught up with him. This guy averaged 18,000 miles a year the last 4 years - all on the road and all in congested areas. He spent 5 spring/summer months on Cape Cod, the rest in Florida. That is a hell of a lot of exposure to bad drivers. Just this August he got right hooked by a car on Cape Cod and broke his collarbone.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/1032213

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
More thoughts about the rider who died. I wonder if the "law of averages" caught up with him. This guy averaged 18,000 miles a year the last 4 years - all on the road and all in congested areas. He spent 5 spring/summer months on Cape Cod, the rest in Florida. That is a hell of a lot of exposure to bad drivers. Just this August he got right hooked by a car on Cape Cod and broke his collarbone.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/1032213
Things like this give us a time to reflect and assess our practices on the bike/life. Time on the bike doesn’t nessciarily make you safer or more knowledgeable of how to be safer while riding. We do what we can to stay safe.

bigW

Careful route selection for the ‘right kind of roads’.

Become very familiar with all the route quirks.

Watch out for drivers doing ‘the usual’.

On my biking commute route which I have logged 10,000 plus miles I have had very few occasions to have a car incident despite the the urban setting. Familiarity is a big help as well as bike friendly road selection.

Hit the drivers door of a short bus who pulled out from the curb direct into an unbroken U-turn. More recently hit the passenger door of a cargo van that made a sudden right turn without signaling. Happy to have stayed upright on both and not had the risk of getting a little bit run over. On both occasions the vehicle had not previously seen me and I was overtaking them. ( clearly not using their mirrors )

Likely gonna get ‘doored’ eventually and the sudden right turners are always a risk.

Be safe out there..

W

rick81721

Lothar
Things like this give us a time to reflect and assess our practices on the bike/life. Time on the bike doesn’t nessciarily make you safer or more knowledgeable of how to be safer while riding. We do what we can to stay safe.

Yeah I agree. I still think these guys blew it and made a major mistake. My thing is visibility - I gotta believe it makes some difference. I did note from the pics and video from the crash scene that none of the bikes had blinking red lights behind them. It is not required in Florida between sunrise and sunset - I think they should change that.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
An interesting article about wearing a helmet:
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/11/com...FR6gSuofEuTfej7s48JZqfcjMHatTKycc4ZKEaPQiK9bY

Not sure how I feel about the idea... for me, wearing a helmet is like wearing a seat belt in a car - I just feel really uncomfortable without one. :confused:
I read the article, I can sorta see his point and if I run errands around “Town”, I don’t throw one on either. Am i goi g to stop wearing on otherwise, probably not. The funny part is that the most “dangerous” activities I have done, were with no helmet ??‍♂️

Top Bottom