Road Tires on MTB

KnightRider

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some guidance as I'm not sure where to start or what's possible.

I want to get a cheap road bike (<$150) so I can spontaneously ride it and get myself into road riding a little more. I'm just not ready to make a big investment yet as I purchased by first bike, a 2013 Trek Mamba MTB, this year (and am still paying it off...).

It was suggested from someone that I put road rims on my MTB and swap tires out as I need to. This has the benefit of using my current frame, well maintained bike, at around the same price range I'm looking. So here's what I'd like to know:

• The spoke length of my bike and if any road rims come in that size? (Not sure if I should be measuring my spoke or the distance between the mounts on the front and rear)
  • I have disc brakes and would like to use them on a potential road rim. Is this possible?
  • Same goes for my cassette (though I know I'd likely need a new one, least I take off my current one during every conversion) so I won't have to adjust my derailleur every time.
  • Am I better off waiting until a good deal comes up on CraigsList? I'm in no rush so can take my dear sweet time deciding what to do and researching.

Have any of you done something similar and can provide some advice / drop some knowledge?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

My current bike specs:
-2013 Trek Mamba
-29" wheels
-Rims: Bontrager AT-850
-Hydraulic Disc Brakes (Hayes Dynamo)
-11-34 9-speed crankset
-Shimano Deore Front/Rear Derailleurs
-Not sure what other information is relevant, but I can provide if need be.

My advice:

Buy a good set of tire levers and change out the tires and tubes when the urge hits to road ride.

The continental sport contact tires come in 700 x 38 ... These should fit just fine with narrower tubes.

A second set of wheels is a good deal of money. Money better saved to buy a road bike.

My advice:

Buy a good set of tire levers and change out the tires and tubes when the urge hits to road ride.

The continental sport contact tires come in 700 x 38 ... These should fit just fine with narrower tubes.

A second set of wheels is a good deal of money. Money better saved to buy a road bike.

This. I spent 5 months riding a FS mountain bike on roads (and with really knobby tires) before finally getting a road bike - what a difference!

My advice:

^this!

yup - what J said -

assuming you aren't tubeless - you'll be able to change out your tires in 10 minutes after a little practice.

the 700x tires fit the 29" rims....but you've probably seen that on the web somewhere.

38mm is about 1.5" - you may be able to use the same tubes...

Back
Top Bottom