Road bike or training bike?

Pampa

I've been told that riding a road bike will help me improve my training
(as opposed to just ride my MTB). I don't like the idea of riding on the road in NJ in general (at least the areas I think I'd be riding on) so I was thinking about getting a good training (fixed) bike.

The pro's I see for the training bike are less "setup" time for each ride (I don't have to drive anywhere), I can ride even if the weather is nasty outside or if it's dark (I know you CAN ride in both of those conditions if you really want but that's even less safe than in normal conditions), you can do the specific workouts exactly they are prescribed since you don't have to deal with traffic, stop signs, hills/downhills, etc. Lastly, I think the training sessions on a training bike would last less than those in a real bike on the road since one is pedaling all the time.

I know that a fixed bike is more boring that riding a real bike on the road but I'm willing to put up with that.

What would be your advice?

Thanks!

OMG, you have great road riding right out your front door. Riding indoors would be a crime.

Road bike for sure. There are plenty of roads up here for you to ride!

Road bike. From mt olive you don't have to travel far to get to some of the best roads around.

Traffic/NJ Drivers - takes a little getting used to, go on ride with others at first to get comfortable. I was hesitant for a while, but now the road bike is what I ride about 90% of the time. You get a much better workout right from your front door.

There is a joy that can be found in riding a road bike. Don't look at this only as a means of training for mtb races. Yes, you can pinpoint training on a road bike to get specific results for racing but there is also the pleasure of hitting the open road.

For real? You live near the best roads the state has to offer. Traffic? Where? People drive out here to ride the road. You need to discover just how good you got it. Get the road bike and I will bring you to road biking utopia.

Didn't I see you riding on the Columbia trail one morning? If you can get there, like Ben said, you have killer roads....

Get a road bike

I expected more people to be for a road bike than for a training bike but not the absolute majority :) So, road bike it is. I can always put in on a trainer as someone suggested above.

BTW, I did a bit of road biking when I was living in Waco, TX and enjoyed that. I lived outside the city (i.e. in the countryside) and the roads had little to no traffic and were very open. I also did a bit of road biking here 3 years ago (training for a triathlon) and it was a total different experience. After a couple of failed rides I starting going out on the Wed night rides out of Marty's Randolph and those were fine because I was in a group, although sometimes we were riding alongside cars for a while too. On Sundays I was driving up to Morristown to do the Sun morning rides of Marty's out of some park there. Those were on more open roads (I guess also b/c they were early on Sundays).

Anyway, thank you for the input. Matty, I'll take you on that.

Didn't I see you riding on the Columbia trail one morning? If you can get there, like Ben said, you have killer roads....

Get a road bike

You saw me RUNNING, you were riding :) But point taken I have ridden my MTB there and while running I saw some people on - what I thought were - cross bikes, which brings me to the next question (see next thread :) ).

I was told the same...that if I wanted to get better at mountain biking, pick up a road bike. I resisted it for a while - and finally broke down and got one.

Two years later, I have no regrets and love riding the road. I am lucky to live in an area of great roads to ride on, which also helps. I now spend more time on the road than on the mountain bike, mostly because of convenience/riding from my door.

I know the area you live - I used to live in Flanders and Budd Lake...there is great riding in Long Valley/Califon and out near the Benders. My fiance is also a local to the Hackettstown area - and I've ridden those roads. I can certainly get you some routes if you can't get out with the Benders.

As for the trainer - I have one...and during the winter, I will get on it midweek when I get home and it's late and dark. I thought I would spend more time on it this winter, but braving the cold and getting outside was so much better!!!!!!

Good luck!

You saw me RUNNING, you were riding :) But point taken I have ridden my MTB there and while running I saw some people on - what I thought were - cross bikes, which brings me to the next question (see next thread :) ).

I actually just ride the Columbia trail once in a while. I take it from high bridge to middle valley road.... that's where the pain begins....:D

Back
Top Bottom