Ringwood Crazies

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've ridden at Ringwood several times now.

One time I went, I started at the Sheperd Lake and went up to Blueberry, then Poison Ivy, then Cats Nest (Renegade) and came back down to the main road. Poison Ivy was a blast, but I wasn't really feeling Blueberry and Renegade. I mean they weren't bad, but they were a bit wider and didn't really feel like true single-track like Poison Ivy. Did I hit the right Blueberry & Renegade? In general, I felt that some of the trails that are marked as "Single Track" on the map are not really single track.

Other times I went, I've mostly started at Lot C and climbed up went up the fireroad to the red & blue and stuck around mostly there. The red & blue around there are true single-tracks, but a bit technical for me. I still have fun there.

I haven't tried out the race trail yet, is that true single-track? Also tried to find 6 bridges once when I started from the school lot, but never found it. Does 6 bridges have a single-track feel? How about the trail that heads down to the convent from the Sheperd Lake lot?

BTW, today I heard this loud noise of metal against rocks coming toward me on the red trail, like some kind of freakish machine. It scared the heck out of me. It was another rider, but he was riding with NO BACK TIRE, just a RIM! I thought maybe he blew out his tire or something and was heading back, but then instead of making a right down the fire road at the intersection, I saw him climb to do the rest of the red toward Skyline. It actually looked liked a 69'er (29 up front and 26 in back - without the tire). Has anyone run into this person or are they on the board?!

Last edited:
I dont think you rode Cats Nest/Renegade or what we locals call Fire Hydrant trail :) What ever you want to call it, it is a true single track.

All of those trails were once single-track. Now they are called over-used. :mad:

Due to the technical nature of the trails, riders take all kinds of lines to find an edge. Over time, this makes the trail wider. The tree canopy in that area is inhibiting the low vegetation from growing and helping to define the trail. That's just the way it goes. Most of the trails used for the race course look like that.

Thanks for the info. I will have to try to find Renegade again. I think I might have hit it actually, there was a really small unnoticeable unmarked single-track off of one of the fireroads (heading up north). Road in for about half a mile, but turned back cause it was getting too dark. Will have to check it out again next time, if I can find it LOL .. the access road confuse the heck out of me there!

All of those trails were once single-track. Now they are called over-used. :mad:

Due to the technical nature of the trails, riders take all kinds of lines to find an edge. Over time, this makes the trail wider. The tree canopy in that area is inhibiting the low vegetation from growing and helping to define the trail. That's just the way it goes. Most of the trails used for the race course look like that.

Little story that pertains to Fire Hydrant.

About 2-3 years ago as I was riding this trail I came across a person that was taking the rocks out of the rock garden. I stopped and asked whatcha doing? This person said to me "I can't make this section so I'm making it easier" :getsome:

Soundz, it is easier to find the trail head of Fire Hydrant off of the lower fire road which means you will be riding up Fire Hydrant. Upper fire road the trail head is less noticable, and you could ride right by it.

Soundz, it is easier to find the trail head of Fire Hydrant off of the lower fire road which means you will be riding up Fire Hydrant. Upper fire road the trail head is less noticable, and you could ride right by it.

Almost positive I hit it then for the 1st half mile then .. I hit it from the southern side going up as you suggested. It was kinda un-noticeable even from that direction but I guess that's a good thing :D

Funny you should mention that...Trail destruction

I have noticed that same issue creeping back into the trails at R-wood. People feel that they are for some reason entitled to be able to "ride" everything at Ringwood and Skyline (Ramapo) and they will do whatever it takes to ride it- that used to mean ride it over and over again until you cleaned it, then it became just ride around it, and now I have seen the worst of it- just take the rocks out or fill it in until you can do it. It is sad to see what that whole area has become.

People spend a lot of time a. building sustainable trails and b. learning to ride them.

But this is societal- everyone needs to be accommodated for and need to be winners. I promise you that you will have a much better feeling of accomplishment when you ride a section that you didn’t just build up or tear down. People need to ride the trails the way they find them.

Rider’s works hard at building trails and riding them is a privilege- Leave the trails alone.

GET OFF AND WALK! We have all done it and there will be a time when we all will do it again (hopefully).

I will now get off my soap box...

Yes, it is better to stay on the trail and walk than create a new line. Some trails have been designed with optional lines out on rock, which is fine, but that does not mean that people can go move boulders and cut down trees to make new lines. The park belongs to everyone, and things may be a certain way for a reason. Best to get involved and find out these things before taking them into your own hands.

I've ridden at Ringwood several times now.

BTW, today I heard this loud noise of metal against rocks coming toward me on the red trail, like some kind of freakish machine. It scared the heck out of me. It was another rider, but he was riding with NO BACK TIRE, just a RIM! I thought maybe he blew out his tire or something and was heading back, but then instead of making a right down the fire road at the intersection, I saw him climb to do the rest of the red toward Skyline. It actually looked liked a 69'er (29 up front and 26 in back - without the tire). Has anyone run into this person or are they on the board?!

That was good ole Dave Van Wort. He was leading the group ride the other day and reallized after he got a flat that his spare was flat so he pulled the tire off and continued on his ride. That's our Dave. The rim is toast by the way. There is absolutely no lip left on the rim

That was good ole Dave Van Wort. He was leading the group ride the other day and reallized after he got a flat that his spare was flat so he pulled the tire off and continued on his ride. That's our Dave. The rim is toast by the way. There is absolutely no lip left on the rim

That's actually kind of funny I got a real answer for my question :cool:

I have to say that I agree with tionegear. While i understand the need for trail maintenance....there is a difference between maint and destruction. This is mountain biking and should be challenging. Each time we go out we come across new areas that were once extremely challenging that are all but paved now by removing rocks and adding dirt. Logs and rocks added in front of downed trees that were a challenge to clear. Rocks being removed because someone says they keep hitting their derailier (sp?) hanger on it. UGH! If you want easy trails take up road riding....but leave the trails alone. Sorry all for the rant!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions