Riding with kids

MikeP

Just wondering if anybody has any kids old enough to rides the trails. My kids are 10 and 8 and I'm trying to pass the bike bug down. I take them to CCC which is about 2 miles from my house atleast once a week. They both have Trek 220s with front shocks and grip shift. I have shortcuts to keep the clims to a minimum. Sucks that their bikes are so heavy. I call out what gear to be in since they really don't understand shifting, so 12 is little ring/2nd cog. So anybody else ride with kids?

Attachments

• briride.jpg
    briride.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 148
  • renegade1.jpg
    renegade1.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 144
I work for a day camp that has a specific mountain bike program for kids ages 10-14. Even with the young ones, I see a variety of abilities - for some it's their first off road experience...others can definitely hold their own. I think its what they are exposed to at home/with family and their interest...

All of the kids have their own bikes. A lot of the older kids have the Trek 3 series and they do great on them. Funny how the smaller bikes weigh more than the kids themselves!

We take the kids to Allaire, 6-Mile, Hartshorne, Huber Woods, Clayton and Jacobsburg (PA)...the older/stronger ones can handle KVSP and Deer Park...

Last edited:
I just started riding with my six year old on the Sussex Branch trail starting off from waterloo rd to cranberry lake. He rides a haro flightline 20. Its great to see the progression in him. He only started riding 2 wheels at the beginning of the summer and just last monday we did the waterloo rd to cranberry lk and back twice. Next up the bryam trail and maybe a little single track. After watching the vids of the kids at 6 mile I think I might want to bring him down there.

My son is 9 and although we haven't really gone anywhere other than some little local trails but he does pretty well. Once I got him this bike with gears he improved a lot. My daughter still has a ss and is only 7 but she joins us sometimes.

My 8 year old girl and 6 year old boy are starting to ride the trails. She is on a Gary Fisher 20" wheel bike. It is funny in that she likes to pick flowers and shys away from anything athletic because she doesn't like to sweat! However, she loves riding over roots and rocks on her mountain bike.

The 6 year old is still on a singlespeed (like his Dad) with 16" wheels. He is getting better every day and is showing potential.

My 8 year old girl and 6 year old boy are starting to ride the trails. She is on a Gary Fisher 20" wheel bike. It is funny in that she likes to pick flowers and shys away from anything athletic because she doesn't like to sweat! However, she loves riding over roots and rocks on her mountain bike.

The 6 year old is still on a singlespeed (like his Dad) with 16" wheels. He is getting better every day and is showing potential.

You ride a 16er ;)? Seriously though, it's great to see so many other riders passing it down.

Those are cool vids Ilya!

6-Mile looks really fun for the little guys (unless some TT madness is going on). I will have to get down there with my son.

Two videos with my daughter at 6 Mile Run 2 years ago (she was 8 at that time):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOssOZ8MYhQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEaVHYIQfxI

She had a Trek 220 with Rock Shox Sid and carbon stuff instead of steel handlebars, seatpost and ect. The bike is light and I gonna sell it soon.

cool vids my daughter has the same bike, funny I did change out her to a carbon seat post that my dad gave. She's almost tall enough to ride my wife's old 13 inch Trek 930 and eventually my son can ride my Killer V on trail rides, 6 Mile looks nice.

The other thing I forgot to mention is to invest in a trail-a-bike. We destroyed one over the years with my oldest daughter (now a senior in high school :cry:). Especially with my 6 year old we ride nearly everything I would on my own and can stay out for two hours versus 30 minutes or so solo. It is a great experience to be able to ride longer and talk the whole time. Plus they quickly lose the fear of speed and realize the capabilities of the bike.

I ride with my 6 and 8yr old boys. We pull the 4 yr old behind us on a tandem. I have brought them to Clayton, Core Creek and then other places outside the area. They unfortunately think Mtbing is a 'girl' sport since their mom does it. But they love it once we are out on the trails. Cool vids Kush....reminds me that I need to bring the boys out more often.

When I started with the MTB bug two years ago I had taken my, then 9 year old and 13 year old sons along with my wife to Allaire. We rode for a little while and everybody said they liked it and would keep doing it. Well, coincidental to this post, just last week I got both my boys to try it again. The now 11 year hated it before he wiped out and will probably not do it again for a while. My now 15 year old hated it at first, wiped out pretty hard and then said he wants to do it again.

At least there's hope for one of them.

I've been riding with my son/daughter, Ryan/Marina since they were rug rats:p. Now they are 16/13 years old. They both like single trac, but only for fun. My son Ryan needs to save up for a new bike, so thats kinda put a damper on the rides, lately....

I have been taking my son since he was 6. He is now 8 and is riding a 24" trek. We mostly go to jungle habitat, but sometimes do wawayanda. We go about once a week...we would welcome the company.

Back
Top Bottom