Recommendations or help with MB Sprinter van stereo upgrade/installation

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
thanks for the help.
car audio was my first hobby I wish I was in your shoes lol

Wool insulation is very mold resistant, I won't bore you with links.
So long as there is no risk go for it

Understood on the battery power connection. Where can I find those distribution blocks? Everything I search for looks like plastic garbage. I found some made by XS that is similar.

I bought stuff from this guy back in the day verify you get the right one for your battery terminals

I'm pretty sure the alternator is 220 amps. I'm not looking for front row Metallica volume so I think it will be under 1,000 watts of power so I think I'm okay but we'll see. It's only going to be 2 speakers in the door, 2 tweeters in the dash, and a subwoofer (a smallish one).
1k rms is a lot do the math it's half of your capacity if you max it out

You lost me with the "tap into it from the back of the headunit so you can grab 4 channels..." Because I am using the factory headunit I will not have RCA jacks behind the head unit. So I either have to take the speaker wires behind the headunit and use an LOC to convert to RCA and then RCA to the amp OR get an amp that has speaker level inputs.
chop the speaker wires behind the head unit and go loose wire to rca so you're sourcing all from one spot and not running wire from all over the place. Kicker should take speaker signal straight also a dsp would have RCA and usually are small enough to drop behind the radio.

Then run new speaker wires from the amp to the door speakers. Then I was going to use the disconnected center channel speaker and run that as audio to the powered subwoofer
perfect

unless the amp I get has just an audio out (I'm not sure if this is even a thing).
im lost lol

I also now understand I have to have a signal wire to tell the amp and maybe powered sub to turn on. I can work this out with Crutchfield. I've pretty much have a high level picture of what I need to do but feel free to keep throwing thoughts/ideas it is helpful.
you need
power
ground
amp turn on
signal from source
wire out to speakers

you got this I need a nap

Rogers

@cdrmtbiker Let me know if you are interested in a set of 6.5" JL Audio components. I have a set collecting dust in my basement that I could either let go for cheap or trade for some MTB gear. These things were awesome back in the day.
Thanks for the offer but I have a system all spec'd out with Crutchfield.

Rogers

Ok. I have the system spec'd out with Crutchfield. I'm am getting pretty deep into this project. I've learned a shit ton over the last few days.

I'm going to pull audio from the unused rear speaker harness under the drivers seat (I don't care about f/r fade) I won't even need to touch the factory head unit. So speaker wire level input from under drivers seat to DSP...then RCA to amp...then speaker wire to all speakers including non powered sub. I'm building a box for a 10" speaker. The amp has an auto turn on function when it receives a signal from the speakers. This is the plan my brain is fried...easy peezy. :rolleyes:

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Ok. I have the system spec'd out with Crutchfield. I'm am getting pretty deep into this project. I've learned a shit ton over the last few days.

I'm going to pull audio from the unused rear speaker harness under the drivers seat (I don't care about f/r fade) I won't even need to touch the factory head unit. So speaker wire level input from under drivers seat to DSP...then RCA to amp...then speaker wire to all speakers including non powered sub. I'm building a box for a 10" speaker. The amp has an auto turn on function when it receives a signal from the speakers. This is the plan my brain is fried...easy peezy. :rolleyes:

It's easy peezy I can't wait for live troubleshooting!

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Been pretty busy here. I'll try to respond later. For now here is a photo dump.

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 3.15.25 AM.png

20200914-190916.jpg

20200914-190910.jpg

20200914-191456.jpg

20200914-190840.jpg

20200914-190836.jpg

20200914-190902.jpg

20200914-190821.jpg

20200901-174551.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I think I'm capable of being a pretty patient person, and I still can't imagine the patience I'd need to muster for navigating all of that wiring.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I think I'm capable of being a pretty patient person, and I still can't imagine the patience I'd need to muster for navigating all of that wiring.

An amp once you know what your doing should take less than an hour from box to powered headuint is less than 30 and each speaker is like 30 min

It's not bad

Top Bottom