Raritan 911: Robocop

Parent of 2 16-year-olds here. I'll just say that these days, shit is different. There's no way they can get away with the same stuff we did as kids. You literally cannot skip school anymore - the school calls you. Every parent knows where every kid is, pretty much every day all day. While shit still slips through the cracks, it's just nnot like it was when I was in HS. I mean, not even close.

Also, after you have spent a considerable portion of your life driving them around like a taxi, you will longingly await the day when they can drive themselves to practice/school/anywhere else.

It doesn't sound like he's worried about skipping school - more what goes on after school and on weekends. Unless you have a GPS tracker on your kid's car, you won't know where they are - or in the described scenarios - in someone else's car. That hasn't changed that much since we were in HS.

It doesn't sound like he's worried about skipping school - more what goes on after school and on weekends. Unless you have a GPS tracker on your kid's car, you won't know where they are - or in the described scenarios - in someone else's car. That hasn't changed that much since we were in HS.

Read the whole post, old timer.

TLDR: every phone is effectively a GPS tracker. Kids cannot live without their phones,

The HS comment was just a specific example of how kids cannot do what we did when the T-Rex still roamed the earth.

@THATmanMANNY

No one likes to hear this but...

You were at fault. Meaning, if there was a collision caused by you pulling into traffic, you would be at fault. You are entering the roadway and have to yield the right-of-way to all vehicles already traveling on said roadway. And that's regardless of whether or not they are traveling at or above the speed limit. Yes, if a car is driving completely reckless, maybe 30+ MPH over the speed limit, no lights on at night, weaving quickly between lanes on a 4-lane roadway, or something, then it would be a contributing factor. But the standard 10-15 MPH over the posted speed limit is not "reckless". That's moving with traffic in NJ.

No one involved in accidents wanted to hear this. It was a joy to be the messenger at times.

Your parking lot story rings true. I am getting a vasectomy in the morning so I won't ever have to worry about door dings or Cheerios in my cars.

I gave you a similar scenario and you said the same thing: pulling into 3 lanes of traffic when the closest lane has a "gap" but then someone in another lane zips into said gap. If we hit - it would have been my fault.

Read the whole post, old timer.

TLDR: every phone is effectively a GPS tracker. Kids cannot live without their phones,

The HS comment was just a specific example of how kids cannot do what we did when the T-Rex still roamed the earth.

He was very clear:

"More specifically, their friends driving days. And boys. I clearly recall all of the dumb shit I did as a 17,18,19 year old driver and I'm horrified at the thought of my kids being passengers in that sort of environment."

So you track your kids' phones?

It's built in with the iPhone. I generally don't look much but yes, I can tell you where all 3 kids are right now. I'm not going to look because I assume they're in school. And frankly, if I look and they're not, I really don't want to know.

It's built in with the iPhone. I generally don't look much but yes, I can tell you where all 3 kids are right now. I'm not going to look because I assume they're in school. And frankly, if I look and they're not, I really don't want to know.

When the phone is on. Kids aren't any dumber than we were - if they don't want someone to know where they are, they can do it.

I have to be honest, not living in NJ for a few months and then coming back to NY/NJ for a week, driving here is like some post-apocalypse Mad Max shit on a daily basis.

Also, I'm renting a Jeep Wagoneer. These things should be illegal. I'm sure if I look underneath the undercarriage there's some pedestrians I took out without realizing.

The time to use it is when they are supposed to be somewhere and aren't, and won't answer the phone/txt.
Very useful for the non driving kid.

Our son started driving a couple weeks before COVID. So we always knew where he was. Mom likes to check his progress when he drives to college (4 hours)

Could set up a geofence. Kid shouldn't be in Newark or Camden etc. Just get an alert.

he can track us to.

He was very clear:

"More specifically, their friends driving days. And boys. I clearly recall all of the dumb shit I did as a 17,18,19 year old driver and I'm horrified at the thought of my kids being passengers in that sort of environment."

My son is 22, graduated from college and is still being tracked. We told him he can get his own phone plan or stay on ours, but the tracking stays on. I mean, he's 350 miles away so it's meaningless.

My son is 22, graduated from college and is still being tracked. We told him he can get his own phone plan or stay on ours, but the tracking stays on. I mean, he's 350 miles away so it's meaningless.

And in all that time, has he ever turned it off to hide where he was? AND if he did, how much shit did he get for that?

Unfortunately, most kids (and let's face it, adults) cannot go 15 minutues without checking the phone, let alone hours.

And in all that time, has he ever turned it off to hide where he was? AND if he did, how much shit did he get for that?

Unfortunately, most kids (and let's face it, adults) cannot go 15 minutues without checking the phone, let alone hours.
just read the above and typed this from my phone so yeah thats true too.

So you actually think he is monitoring his kid's phone 24/7? 🤣

Parent of 2 16-year-olds here. I'll just say that these days, shit is different. There's no way they can get away with the same stuff we did as kids. You literally cannot skip school anymore - the school calls you. Every parent knows where every kid is, pretty much every day all day. While shit still slips through the cracks, it's just nnot like it was when I was in HS. I mean, not even close.

Also, after you have spent a considerable portion of your life driving them around like a taxi, you will longingly await the day when they can drive themselves to practice/school/anywhere else.
You think this is true. But wait until they all drive and have cars. One more thing to worry about

Back
Top Bottom