Quick Release Installation

JB1

What side is the QR supposed to be mounted on? I noticed in the installation instructions for Magura brakes that they say to mount the quick release on the opposite side of the brakes. My QR's are stock but they are on the same side as the brakes. Does this make a difference?

It does not make a difference. Traditionally, the lever is on the left side. Since the introduction of disk brakes, people sometimes put it on the right. Some fear touching a hot rotor. I keep my lever opposite the disk so that I don't hit it if my hand were to slip off the lever. It is also easier to get a good grip on it when the rotor is not in the way.

But once again, it doesn't matter.

Park Tool's Big Blue Book of Bike Repair Second Edition, says that the quick releases should be installed on the opposite side of the gear, dérailleur and chain.

Also my bike came new from Marty's Reliable in Randolph done like that and my bro's bike, ditto(but his is used and built by some shop in South Jersey).

Park Tool's Big Blue Book of Bike Repair Second Edition, says that the quick releases should be installed on the opposite side of the gear, dérailleur and chain.

Also my bike came new from Marty's Reliable in Randolph done like that and my bro's bike, ditto(but his is used and built by some shop in South Jersey).

This is what I always knew to be true but like someone said it really doesn't matter.

On all of my MTB's, the QR lever is non-drive side on the rear and drive side on the front. I dont like havig my QR lever close to the brake assembly up front because its not as easy to use. On the rear, having the lever close to the brake (rather than the derailleur) is the lesser of two evils...

It really doesnt matter which side you choose as long as you can get the lever to close completely.

In all honesty, It does not have make any difference where the QR lever is placed. In the rear it makes sense to have it on the non drive side due to the fact that it might interfere with the RD cable, but in the front, it makes no difference. The Cam on the QR is designed to produce equal amounts of clamping load on either end of the skewer so the lever orientation is based on rider preference.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll probably move the front away from the brakes and keep the rear where it is.

Back
Top Bottom