question about Lake Minnewaska

njitgrad

I've only been there twice, the last of which was about 15 years ago. The first time was with some buddies from work who really made the ride challenging for me and the second time a more leisurely ride with my wife.

I am considering returning there tomorrow with my 10 year old son. Due to time constraints we ride trails infrequently so I need to know if it would be worth the 90 min ride for me given his age and ability.

Last year we covered Kittatinny Valley SP (which was a bit of a challenge for him) and just a few weeks ago we rode the the McDade Trail in PA from Hialeah Picnic Area to Smithfield Beach which also had a pretty few steep climbs for a young kid.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The riding is all carriage trails (AKA dirt roads), and there is some extended climbing, though the grades are almost all moderate. The riding is pretty friendly to a wide variety of abilities.

The views from Castle Point and the top of Upper Awosting are amazing.

Bear in mind that the traffic coming into/going out of New Paltz will likely be pretty crazy this weekend.

I am considering returning there tomorrow with my 10 year old son. Due to time constraints we ride trails infrequently so I need to know if it would be worth the 90 min ride for me given his age and ability.

The carriage road going out to castle point is tame, if your son rode the trails at KVSP he should be fine at Minnewaska. The views are great.

However given the fact that its a 90 min car ride you just want to be sure that he will have the interest in riding for 2hrs. New Paltz is a nice town, ice cream would be a fun treat afterwards.

It may be easier to go to Lewis Morris, its closer and you can always bail out on Patriots Path if the trails prove to be too much for him.

We ride there a few times each summer. My 10 year old girl now can do it on her own, with some stopping and complaining and she does not ride much. The views and natural beauty in that area is worth it to me. I am assuming you plan to ride from lake Minnewaska to lake Awosting. It is a steady uphill to Awosting, nothing too steep. Green trail up is the easiest. Blue trail (or Castle Point) has the best views and a few short steeper areas, but has been closed most of the summer for maintenance. It may be open now. Bring bathing suits / lunch and hang out at Awosting when you get up there. Plan to get to the park around 10:30 or earlier so you can get parking at lake Minnewaska to make thing much easier if its on the weekend.

Castle point trail is closed past the awesome overlooks as they are repairing the road, so plan accordingly. You can also ride the Mohonk preserve side over to the Mountain House and then hike up to the overlook. The tower is ALSO closed for repairs. And you can't ride your bike to the tower, but it's still a cool place to go to.

It's a good place to do combi bike and hike if you can. Ride over to the lemon squeezer or giant's workshop and do those hikes, or walk out to the tower. These are on the Mohonk side.

On the minniwaska side you can hike(bike if you are a scofflaw) to gertrude's nose.

But I bet riding to the lookout's on Castle Point trail with a 10 year old would be pretty good. When you get back jump in the lake. If you take the boring way that's still open to Lake Awosting, that lake is pretty awesome and open for swimming with legit super nice beach and a life guard. You can ride around the lake too. That open way is super easy, if he makes it there it's almost all downhill for the way back once you leave the immediate lake area.

Update: Castle Point has reopened as of 8/1
And +1 on a swim in Awosting. Awesome lake.
(And leech free ;) )

Like others have said, Minnewaska is a gem, but it can be crowded on weekends. If you don't get there early enough, you may be forced to park in the lower lot, which is a hump to climb up from for the average 10 year old, even if you use the longerfireroad climb from the back of the lower lot vs the switchbacks that follow the access road to the top. If you do get there early enough to park at the top, definitely bring swim trunks. There are changing rooms at the lake Luke mentions, plus bike racks.

If you want a fun, mellow but scenic ride suitable for kids that's closer to home, try this one... Park at Warbasse Junction ("you are here") and ride counter clockwise. Flat, scenic and full of history. 13 mile round trip. You can ride further on either trail in either direction out and back if you want more miles. All dirt/cinder surface.

18610988_BG1.jpg

I just rode there with my gf about two weeks ago. Depending on climbing level, the Castle Point to Upper Awosting should take 1.5-2hrs at a super-casual pace and you can add in the Lake Awosting loop if you have time. Climb on the way up Castle, almost all downhill on the way back. If you get there before 10-11am on weekends you can usually get a spot at the top lot, otherwise you have a long climb up before any of the actual loops start. Awesome views and a nice place to take people that are casual bikers. Not as fun anymore after being introduced to singletrack. :)

c54xPOF.jpg

you didnt hear it from me but there is some really good singletrack in there. some hikeabike trails some not rideable at all some gnarly ass totally rideable stuff indeed too. just not legal. and you can always try lippman park which is not very far from there..

you didnt hear it from me but there is some really good singletrack in there. some hikeabike trails some not rideable at all some gnarly ass totally rideable stuff indeed too. just not legal. and you can always try lippman park which is not very far from there..

You also didn't hear it from me that the best stuff there would never be found without a tourguide.

Back
Top Bottom