Post your Cat =^..^=

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
On Saturday we were going to euthanize Bubba due to the worsening of his diabetes because of acromegaly.

His blood sugar is constantly in the 500 even with two daily shots of 26 units insulin. In addition to that his chin is now evidently protruding and his front paws are getting bigger, he stopped grooming for the most part so his long hair was all knotted. I'll spare you the details on his bathroom habits.

A couple of hours before the scheduled appointment he was screaming to get out of the house, I let him out and he was very attentive and following the cars on the street, went for a survey of the property, had a mouth full of catnip and when called came promptly (very slowly). I couldn't bear the thought of putting him down while he's acting as a normal cat so we cancelled the vet appointment and bought more insulin...$$$.

Later during the day he proceeded to attempt and scratch me when I brushed him ad removed the knots from his fur, and on Sunday I caught him while settling to take a dump in my rotary tool bag, I had just a second to pull him out of there and he relieved himself on the floor...

We had to dial down the insulin so it lasts until the new batch comes in, we'll see how it goes.

Is it cruel to let him be as it is given the circumstances? He doesn't seem to be in any pain and he actually seems smarter (I wonder if acromegaly being a pituitary tumor happens to have any effect on his brain). He's just very demanding and a lot more combative (he used to be the mellowest and well behaved of cats, now not so much).

Not in pain let him live it up, is he eating fine?

we had to put my one cat down at 5 years old he threw a clot and when he was scanned appeared to have cancer all over so we had no choice looks like so far you've picked the right choice so far.

serviceguy

Not in pain let him live it up, is he eating fine?

we had to put my one cat down at 5 years old he threw a clot and when he was scanned appeared to have cancer all over so we had no choice looks like so far you've picked the right choice so far.

Eating fine for a tiger, for a cat not so much. I should start a gofundme for Bubba the cat, the cost of insulin alone is sucking us dry!

iman29

On Saturday we were going to euthanize Bubba due to the worsening of his diabetes because of acromegaly.

His blood sugar is constantly in the 500 even with two daily shots of 26 units insulin. In addition to that his chin is now evidently protruding and his front paws are getting bigger, he stopped grooming for the most part so his long hair was all knotted. I'll spare you the details on his bathroom habits.

A couple of hours before the scheduled appointment he was screaming to get out of the house, I let him out and he was very attentive and following the cars on the street, went for a survey of the property, had a mouth full of catnip and when called came promptly (very slowly). I couldn't bear the thought of putting him down while he's acting as a normal cat so we cancelled the vet appointment and bought more insulin...$$$.

Later during the day he proceeded to attempt and scratch me when I brushed him ad removed the knots from his fur, and on Sunday I caught him while settling to take a dump in my rotary tool bag, I had just a second to pull him out of there and he relieved himself on the floor...

We had to dial down the insulin so it lasts until the new batch comes in, we'll see how it goes.

Is it cruel to let him be as it is given the circumstances? He doesn't seem to be in any pain and he actually seems smarter (I wonder if acromegaly being a pituitary tumor happens to have any effect on his brain). He's just very demanding and a lot more combative (he used to be the mellowest and well behaved of cats, now not so much).

This is a tough call and you will get a lot of opinions. only thing I can think to say without know you in or him in real life is just think primarily about his quality of life and how he will or wont be comfortable, and weigh that against the cost and ability to take care of him properly which seems like youre already doing regardless how difficult.

I am sure whatever you do it will be the right thing for him and for you. good luck.

njmark

Professional Cyclist
Minny showed up under my deck one day and as small as she was, I took her in. Maybe 6-9 months old but with a collar so she was clearly someone's pet. She isn't fixed which sucks but she's adorable and gets along with my 2 grouchy old cats so I guess she's part of the fam now.20200908_180009.jpg

the schwartz

Miss Cleo
1015200909_HDR.jpg1015200908c_HDR.jpg
Not old, not sick, my kids are already discussing where to bury her in the backyard when she dies.

My sympathies, that must be super hard. Tyson sounds like a super sweetheart

Edit: I'm mistakenly replying to a post from two years ago. Still valid I guess

Mare

Minny showed up under my deck one day and as small as she was, I took her in. Maybe 6-9 months old but with a collar so she was clearly someone's pet. She isn't fixed which sucks but she's adorable and gets along with my 2 grouchy old cats so I guess she's part of the fam now.View attachment 141146
Do you know about the friends of animals route to fix pets? Basically you purchase a voucher (which is much cheaper than typical costs to fix) through their website and bring it to a participating vet. I did that with 2 of my past pets and I am going to do that with my new dog. My vet already participates so I don't even need to go anywhere different.

iman29

Do you know about the friends of animals route to fix pets? Basically you purchase a voucher (which is much cheaper than typical costs to fix) through their website and bring it to a participating vet. I did that with 2 of my past pets and I am going to do that with my new dog. My vet already participates so I don't even need to go anywhere different.

We did this for dog Shelby. Totally saved a shit ton of money.

serviceguy

Sadly we had to let go our Bubba today, on top of his insuline resistant diabetes due to a pituitary gland tumor he had some type of tumor in his mouth and he lost a lot of weight very quickly, he was all skin and bones. I can’t believe I won’t have to open the door for him to go out and then come back like 100 times every day anymore, he will be missed. Enjoy your pets as much as you can!

iman29

Sadly we had to let go our Bubba today, on top of his insuline resistant diabetes due to a pituitary gland tumor he had some type of tumor in his mouth and he lost a lot of weight very quickly, he was all skin and bones. I can’t believe I won’t have to open the door for him to go out and then come back like 100 times every day anymore, he will be missed. Enjoy your pets as much as you can!
really sorry to hear that given all he had going on its clear you gave him a great life. RIP Bubba.

Top Bottom