Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stupid

Votes: 26 72.2%
  • Both

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I enjoy reading NJ.com, yet over the years I've noticed that website taking on a very strong political and idelogical bias. Not particular to NJ.com in general is overall sadly what constitutes "news" now is commenting on product ads or tweets. Toss in a little outrage to make it viral. It's picking low hanging fruit.

Case in point the 30 second ad for a pelaton bike.

Look an attractive financially well off person on an expensive stationary bike trying to better themselves! How Dare them!

Its all relative.
That ad is targeting a specific demographic and trying to appear genuine to that demographic.

Genuine? Yes there are lots of people out there that post instagram/fb stories daily on their life. Judging by the locales, homes these things sit it they're targetting the upper middle class with expendable income or people very well off financially. I know some incredibly well off people, and very strereotypically their wife fits into this post up my life daily basis demographic and share how amazing their life is.I can also see those guys as well as them seeing this ad an thinking, yea 2k for a bike isn't bad. I can put that in the Montauk vacation home.

To each their own. I'm just happy to see people out their exercising and striving to always get better.
this is spot on. it's a luxury good. the soul cycle or one of those other companies ceo's or founders was on cnbc a little while ago talking about it. she thought the ad hit the target demographic, was well done, and she didn't find it sexist at all. how many years has Lexus been running the ad where the dude buys the chic a new car with a giant red bow on top. the gmc ad is similar.

TimBay

I liked what he said about people putting their own context to the ad. If I saw this without the negative article from the OP, id probably just be like "ugh, fuggin rich people ad"...as I do with all peloton ads. it's the assumed context from the article that had me thinking it was messed up and sexist. Did pelotron come out and say that the ad was designed around the idea that this was what the lady wanted for xmas and that the idea it was forced upon her is pure nonsense? Hilarious, but not true to the ad. I can't wait for the SNL skit.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
my wife is getting me a smoker for xmas- i didn't ask for it. should i be offended? is my old smoker not good enough (i've complained about it, but it was more just about the cons, not that it wasn't an adequate tool) - what is expected of me with the new smoker? i mean we go like 6x per year, do i need to double it? triple it?
you know i like to post my smoked meat to social media. With the new smoker in the background, people are going to put me on a new level.
perhaps i could compete? will vlog, and report back next year. :p

TimBay

my wife is getting me a smoker for xmas- i didn't ask for it. should i be offended? is my old smoker not good enough (i've complained about it, but it was more just about the cons, not that it wasn't an adequate tool) - what is expected of me with the new smoker? i mean we go like 6x per year, do i need to double it? triple it?
you know i like to post my smoked meat to social media. With the new smoker in the background, people are going to put me on a new level.
I mean, that's kind of different as the outrage was due to the imagined idea that the husband was basically telling his wife she needs to work out. You complained about your smoker, your wife thought to get you a better smoker so she didnt have to hear you complain about the old one.

Also...what ya gonna do with that old one? Lil pennies/dollas action?

JerseyPete

I never met you and hope you don't find this offensive...
It struck me that the way you wrote that, it may have been intended to replace the word "smoker" with "hooker".

Patrick

Staff member
I never met you and hope you don't find this offensive...
It struck me that the way you wrote that, it may have been intended to replace the word "smoker" with "hooker".

Blah-haha!

i can't find a funny enough gif to respond! Will forward for alternate christmas present.

hopefully it isn't triple, my heart couldn't handle it. :D

----

I'm developing a theory on the peloton ad tho - it is really people that don't get that some people like to workout.
the couch crowd does not appreciate that this woman is so pressed for time, and yoga with adriene isn't cutting it.
in her new, busy life, she can't get to spin class, or crossfit, or whatever stoked her like she always did. She lost her "own time" - that we so value
like when we get out on the bike
. I'll stretch a bit, and think she was getting a bit depressed over this.
lots of people (not just F) feel pressure to have a "thin/fit" look - and self assessment can be very harsh.
(from comments) yes, 4lbs on a 115lb person is a lot. I know people that stress over those lbs at that weight.

anyway, the SO is a superhero. Finding something for her to make a connection with like minded people on her schedule.

The haters are the people that wake up, and put 8oz of hazelnut pumkin spice in their coffee, while they do a double stack
with butter and syrup, side of bacon, jump in the car with just enough time to get to work. but they go to aqua-aerobics after work,
Then count the minutes down until it is happy hour. and wonder why they are not seeing results.

/rant.
sorry - i keep seeing this stuff pop up on fb and the google feed, and find it ridiculous. if i could have predicted it i would have shorted the shit out of peloton,
then purchased it back, to enjoy the rebound......

ps - the gmc commercial is awesome. he was hesitant to get his SO a truck because of the stigma of a F owning a truck. and it was exactly what she wanted.
/rerant

Last edited:

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
F that. He wanted the truck and wanted to stuff her with the suv. He should have bought two trucks .

Peloton dude should have spent 10k on an SWorks Tarmac, 1+k on a KickR, another 4k on TV/computer/sound system/that fan and climb thing, plus 50k for the new solarium, and told all the haters to STFU and go do something useful with their lives instead of bitching about something the wish they could afford.
Now can we wrap this up?

Patrick

Staff member
F that. He wanted the truck and wanted to stuff her with the suv. He should have bought two trucks .

Peloton dude should have spent 10k on an SWorks Tarmac, 1+k on a KickR, another 4k on TV/computer/sound system/that fan and climb thing, plus 50k for the new solarium, and told all the haters to STFU and go do something useful with their lives instead of bitching about something the wish they could afford.
Now can we wrap this up?

nfw - you are just getting going! why haven't you posted in the beer thread yet :D

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
nfw - you are just getting going! why haven't you posted in the beer thread yet :D
Work holiday party.
does posting 4 20oz beers from Bierhaus and 9 Heineken Lights really matter?

I’ve got like a dozen “news” sources in my FB feed with the stupid Peloton article, all with thousands of “comments”. I skimmed thru some, and the majority are in favor of the add. Like Brian said, shitty journalism picking low hanging fruit, followed by lowest common denominator pile on. Probably best to delete this entire thread. Nothing good will ever come of it. The whole thing is stupid.
would I buy one? No. Would I buy one for my wife? If I thought she’d use it, yes. Will she ever ride her road bike I bought her outside on her own? No.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I don’t use Apple News and have notifications turned off, but maybe once a month it decides to force a notification. Wednesday it forced one and it was an article about this ad, lol.

Last edited:

THATmanMANNY

no lie: friend's daughter is getting a Peleton from her aunt, you know the one with the extra extra house on beach front manasquan

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
My wife didn’t ask me for one. Should I get it?

552C924B-0B5A-4D28-8011-49A9EF0B4B85.jpeg
C4FC1CCD-8156-4522-AFDA-9E48192C7AB8.jpeg

mwlikesbikes

My thoughts are pretty much spot on with Pat’s rant.,
The people that are bitching about this really aren’t ever going to buy anything like this anyway. Next week they will find something else to bitch about...
Peloton will be just fine. Any press is good press, or something like that. Remember how everyone was pissed at Specialized and were going to boycott them out of business, How’d that work out?...

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
My thoughts are pretty much spot on with Pat’s rant.,
The people that are bitching about this really aren’t ever going to buy anything like this anyway. Next week they will find something else to bitch about...
Peloton will be just fine. Any press is good press, or something like that. Remember how everyone was pissed at Specialized and were going to boycott them out of business, How’d that work out?...
I thought it was big news as Jimmy Fallon had a monologue about it last night. Should teeter out soon. It’s already loosing steam here.

Top Bottom