Votes: 1 1.4%
  • bebop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • toe clips/powergrips

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
You can adjust tension with the newer model of composite times...I forgot the model exactly, but I hate it....The main reason I loved Time's was because there was no screws, no adjustment, nothing to worry about. With this new ones, I have to constantly tighten the screws because I loose tension. Then my foot comes up as I am trying to power on a rock garden or a log-stacle Annoying:mad2:
I have aluminums on the SS and they are solid!!
My old composite ones, which I thought were indestructible suffered a broken "rail" (for lack of a better word) I discovered recently that those are replaceable. I got a bag full of those from my buddy and I also got the tool, but I haven't had the chance to try to fix them.

ah, and the only way you can somehow adjust tension on these alums or the older models is by flipping the cleat, so only two positions...tight & tighter, i guess ;)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The one thing I really like about the Shimano pedals is that when the sh!t really starts to hit the fan, a really strong upward force allows me to clip out. I suspect that not all pedals are that forgiving.

Nimrod

I totally dig the new XTR pedal.

They are light, solid and they have a consistant release feel.

This is the same reason that I didn't like the Speedplay road pedals.

I rode Time pedals for a bit but I still came back to Shimano in the end.

My experiences exactly. The new XTR pedal is a great pedal, it holds the cleat real good (I have blown holes in my soxes from pulling up), I've never accidently unclipped. The other side of how great the XTR pedal is... in a "Panic situation" your able to get out in a hurry:)

On my road bikes I have the Older Time (Forget the name) "Triangle" pedals. Nice Platform, reasonably light, you can really lay the power down to the pedals on the big ass climbs with these suckers:)

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
Shimano 959s', pretty much exactly the same as the new xtr. Love 'em. But I have been know to run platforms now and then.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Current setup:

XC bike- Eggbeaters
Freeride bike- Time ATAC Z's

I was on Shimano for the XC bike a few years ago, but knees needed the float. Got some eggbeaters and they've been good for a couple years now, but I can see some bushing damage and feel some play developing, so it's time for a rebuild (or probably a new pedal since it's time for something new). Curious about the new Look pedals, too. They appear nice and light.

Had Mallets on my freeride bike originally. Snapped a spindle literally riding off a 6" curb in front of my apartment (I'm sure the damage was pre-existing, and that was just the straw that broke the camel's back). CB had a rebuild kit out to me within a few days, and I rode those pedals until I demolished one side of one pedal on some rocks at Diablo. It was time to retire them anyway. Moved to Time ATAC Z's, and I've been happy with them. I've noticed lately some unintended unclipping, so it's time for new cleats. Otherwise, I like the Times better than the Mallets, but the new Mallet design with set screws is intriguing, and might convince me to go back.

monkey boy

Self-Imposed Exile
Crank Bros are the best I have used so far.
Anything below XTR level I would be skeptical about
I have had mid to low end SPD & have almost broken my leg not being able to get out of them.
Ont he road Look KEO. good size platform killer power xfer.

Mk1Racer

When I was getting back into riding this spring, I looked at several pedals. I like the CB multi-point entry system, but wasn't sure about going w/ eggbeaters (I guess too many bad memories from when I was a little kid riding a bike w/ a busted pedal). Liked the 'dual-purpose' nature of the Mallets. Figured I could ride the bike down the block w/o putting on cleats. I've been pretty happy w/ them, although I still have to work on 'quick' releases.

I run Shimano 105 pedals on my road bike and love them. I had Look PP66's back in the day and the Shimanos seem like a modern version. To me, the larger platform feels more stable when you're really on it. Tried a set of Speedplays and just could not get used to them. Never felt like I was connected to the bike.

Egg

Currently using the Crankbros eggbeats. Would not us the Candy pedals for xc type riding, I've seen too many get bashed in the jersey rocks. I do have a pair on my 7 inch bike, but that thing has stupid bb height.

The eggs work great in the snow and are way light for the cash. The next time I make a major switch I'll consider the xtr pedal.

Wobbegong

I'm so happy with the new XTR pedal. They engage and release smoothly and have a solid feel to them. Really good stuff. I think I'm going to stash some cash and get another pair for the hardtail.

walter

Fourth Party
I guess you are comparing the xtr trail with the xtr race? Imo, at that level, most folks want the smallest, lightest available. Most probably go with the race version. But, it's what the individual wants/needs, not what is most popular.

jumpa

Shimano xt 785

Pros: what everyone already said

Cons: also what everyone one else said.

It's the only thing I have ridden. I have noticed though in harder cornering when leaning my bike I have a habit of turning my hips into the turn as well which also rotates my foot and in clips me sometimes. But I'll say that's rider error..

WinTaper

Shimano PD-M985 (XTR Trail)... silky smooth, easy in & out and the platform helps with stabilization. The XT version (PD-M785) is virtually identical and probably a better buy dollar-wise.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Shimano XT

Pros: reliable, bombproof, inexpensive, proven, efficient, sturdy, light enough, sweet, adjustable, pimp, easy to install, easy to engage, fits all shoes

Cons: none

image.jpeg

Top Bottom