parking at Fort Lee, NJ

ADZ

Hi there. I want to take a couple of trips into Manhattan with the bike on a weekday. I was thinking about driving to Fort Lee, dropping the bike and riding over the GW. Does anybody have any suggestions or recommendation where to park the car.

Thanks
A

Theres municipal lots all over near main street that you can park in for small fee than have short ride to the bridge. There's also a park right next to the bike path over the bridge. You can park there for free and ride over. That is what I used to do commuting, never had a problem.

Great. Whats the name of the Park and do you know if they close a gate to the park at dusk?

A

Great. Whats the name of the Park and do you know if they close a gate to the park at dusk?

A

ft lee historic park. gates open at 6 am, (usually) i read some where park closes at dusk, week ends after memorial day you pay

They do close the gates at Fort Lee Historic park at dusk. This post may help:

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14979&page=3#24

Also, next town over in Englewood Cliffs, there's no restriction on street parking except where posted. Here are the restricted streets:

http://www.englewoodcliffspolice.org/pages/bo.html

Pick a residential street in Englewood Cliffs and park. It's very safe neighborhood. If you feel uncomfortable parking in front of someone's house, there is a stretch along Johnson Ave that's next to a park:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou....897555,-73.945134&spn=0.011175,0.014205&z=16

Be careful if you're riding in Central Park. They were cracking down on people who run through red lights and even speed limit.

The historical society charges $5 to park.

They are also anti bike.

You can also park at the park under the bridge. VERY scenic but a huge hill.

Be careful if you're riding in Central Park. They were cracking down on people who run through red lights and even speed limit.

He is not kidding people. This has been going on for months now and appears to have increased during the "Don't Be A Jerk" campaign that they City has waged against cyclists. There were some public meetings on the issue a couple months back, including a proposal for "yellow lights" in the park, but I don't think anything will come of it.

I for one have unfortunately retired my "City" bike back to NJ. It is just not worth it any more. The Westside Greenway is chock full of stop lights and unless you are allowed to open up in Central Park there just is no use riding in the City (unless, of course, you enjoy shredding in the City streets between cabs and trucks).

thanks for all the information, was riding the west side last week and I cut in on to the Greenway trail from riverside and 72nd. The section that takes you down to the Greenway is a dismount your bike (Bollocks sign) Area. I almost got a ticket if i didn't hoop of the bike a bit sharpish. so watch out...

How does one get on the Hudson Greenway as soon as he get off the GW bridge? Talk about a bloody nightmare. I was thinking maybe if I ride North as soon as I get off the Bridge I might be able to get on the Greenway that way.

A

How does one get on the Hudson Greenway as soon as he get off the GW bridge? Talk about a bloody nightmare. I was thinking maybe if I ride North as soon as I get off the Bridge I might be able to get on the Greenway that way.

Look at some aerials around the GWB area. There is a pedestrian bridge near W181 Street that goes over the northbound lanes of the Henry Hudson Pkwy. Then the path goes under the southbound lanes and continues under the GWB.

The cops in CP have eased their enforcement within the park. They are still using their discretion but tensions are down from their peak a few months ago. If you blow lights in the park when pedestrians are nearby you are playing with fire. I prefer to play in traffic anyway.

Last edited:
There's a few options .. 181st, 158th, 125th .. This might help: http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17154

Also, if you take the Westside Greenway on your way back (i.e. all the way to the GWB, it becomes apparent where the entrances/exits are.

The Greenway can get really crowded on the weekends, to the point of walking your bike. One route I like is to take St. Nicholas (bike lane) down to Central Park and through CP.

Back
Top Bottom