official 2017-2018 biyf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We hit up my other local after work yesterday. The trails were a mix of snow and ice, which appeared supersketchy at first glance, but they actually turned out to be quite magical. It got cold and dark, (OK, it was already) and Mikey's headlight crapped out completely (no warning) by the concrete bridge on the way back, but we worked together the rest of the way back to 27. Wanted to stop for a few photos, but never happened. Just picture it in your minds, the white coating made everything very scenic.

Rode to Philadelphia from cherry hill
Passing thru pennsauken and Camden,then ate a bowl of duck noodles soup in Chinatown
Then rode back to cherry hill
20180119_092236.jpg

20180119_090047.jpg

20180119_083010.jpg
20180119_082449.jpg
20180119_075441.jpg

Back out to the environmental preserve again yesterday. Icy conditions was good because anything not covered was starting to soften. Interesting vents and mulch piles disturbed and steaming out in the woods were spewing all of Rutgers' surplus funds into the air. Skated around for a few loops and realized on the way back my legs were kinda cooked. In a good way, yay BIYF!

IMG_1801.JPG
IMG_1804.JPG
IMG_1803.JPG
IMG_1805.JPG

So last night as I was prepping 3 sets of wheels to begin my test, took off a Nobby Nic from the rear of the FS to add to the test and noticed there was a lot of room back there. My attempts to put 3" tire with 35mm internal rims failed on the 29r hard tail, and the wheels were just sitting around. Needed to stick a wheel back there anyway to keep the derailleur off the floor so I figured what the hell, even if rubbing would just be glorified bike stand.

Well what do you know, it fit cleanly with room to spare. About 4-5mm in each direction. From that point on, all I wanted to do was get it ready to ride the next day and ditched the wheel test project. Planned to join the mtbnj ride, but it was not to be as parenting stuff got in the way. Snuck out before lunch for a few laps at CR blue.

Verdict, completely underwhelmed. Okay, to be fair they aren't the best tires and conditions weren't ideal to do an initial test. Also the FS was in need of an off season service. I now completely get why some abandon the plus wheels in favor of bigger 29 tires if they fit. They felt sluggish and the rear wheel never spun quick enough to get me going. And I'm not sure if it was the ice, but many times it was a bit squirmy as I tried to toss the bike a bit to get around obstacles.

Not giving up on this yet, still stoked that plus tires fit on the Bandit with much room despite non-boost. And I didn't notice any more pedal strikes despite a lower BB, though I'm guessing it's less than a cm. Regardless, it was fun anyways.
MVIMG_20180120_104140.jpg
MVIMG_20180120_111855.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom