NYNJTC trifold in the office at WaWay

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sent him a message. His name is Dennis Dee. Super nice guy.

Someone approved me almost right away. I am one of those people who usually either gets instantly rejected or approved. Nice to see I am not on the insta-reject list there.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
At the risk of stirring the pot, this really may not be a great course of action right now. Shops are so overworked/understaffed, it's not funny. Better to wait (on that particular front, anyway) until things calm down a little.

Once upon a time QR codes came along and I was like, "F this stupid crap who has a QR reader?"

Time passed.

Then covid hit. And then every restaurant started using QR codes. And we all realized that the phones just read QR codes if you point your camera phone at it. And this has forced us as a society to start using QR codes again.

I say you work up a little stand with a QR code. It's almost impossible not to point your phone at it these days.

1622837075142.png

TimBay

At the risk of stirring the pot, this really may not be a great course of action right now. Shops are so overworked/understaffed, it's not funny. Better to wait (on that particular front, anyway) until things calm down a little.

Or go after there have been a couple of rainy days in a row...and it's still raining.
Not stirring the pot at all. A valid observation.

pygmypony

Once upon a time QR codes came along and I was like, "F this stupid crap who has a QR reader?"

Time passed.

Then covid hit. And then every restaurant started using QR codes. And we all realized that the phones just read QR codes if you point your camera phone at it. And this has forced us as a society to start using QR codes again.

I say you work up a little stand with a QR code. It's almost impossible not to point your phone at it these days.

View attachment 159134
i'll admit it...i scanned it...good work @Norm

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I tried but I can’t flip the phone fast enough to capture the code using its camera...if I had one of those new folding phones it would be much easier!

save photo - use google lens on image.

Patrick

Staff member
I know, I may have to buy a second phone just to scan codes on the first one!
You could forward it to email then print to fax. Then use the the camera app! Simple solution

I did get it to work by saving it and using lens via Google photos

Cassinonorth

Somebody posted the nj vs VT numbers on a Facebook group I'm on and I thought that was a good approach, playing into the NJ F every other state mentality, lol. I'm an Admin the Garden State Mountain Biking page and can get any message message guys want on there as an announcement. Feel free to message me anything you want posted up.

That be me

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've been riding MCBP weekly and exposed to a whole other group of riders. My perception is that there is some stigma around JORBA and MTBNJ regarding trail policing. This concept is entirely bizarre to me. But there seems to be a group of people that think MTBNJ (and by association JORBA) are out there to tell people what they can or can't do.

I will raise this point in combination with the helmet thread. This is probably partly why we have this perception. @stb222

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
A year or five(?) ago JORBA got blamed for the destruction of the gap jumps near the power lines at allaire.

Can confirm that there are plenty of people who equate JORBA with anti-fun trail policing 😕
  • Random people* build high-skill requirement/high risk feature on public property without permission from the land owner.
  • Feature is in a high traffic park, along a high traffic trail
  • Random people* ride feature, and post it all over social media
  • Park catches wind of said feature, and asks the trail stewards for assistance in dismantling it
  • Trail stewards push back because they are not the trail police, but ultimately help out so they can appease the land manager and get back to doing normal maintenance
  • People* blame trail stewards
Unauthorized building alongside public trails jeopardizes everyone's access. If you want to ride dirt jumps, do what dirt jumpers have been doing since it has been a thing: build on private land. Dig to ride. The amount of members of a social media based group or the amount of likes received on a super dope edit of you getting sick air on a gap doesn't help our community gain more access or permission to build sanctioned features. Hard work, patience, advocacy and shaking a lot of proverbial hands does.

*These are people we all know, some of whom make their living hawking bikes. Why do we turn the other cheek when they call out people working their butts off to build relationships with land managers while they do lazy builds alongside public trails, then have the audacity to call out the people doing it legit? I am so tired of it.

Frank

Sasquatch
  • Random people* build high-skill requirement/high risk feature on public property without permission from the land owner.
  • Feature is in a high traffic park, along a high traffic trail
  • Random people* ride feature, and post it all over social media
  • Park catches wind of said feature, and asks the trail stewards for assistance in dismantling it
  • Trail stewards push back because they are not the trail police, but ultimately help out so they can appease the land manager and get back to doing normal maintenance
  • People* blame trail stewards
Unauthorized building alongside public trails jeopardizes everyone's access. If you want to ride dirt jumps, do what dirt jumpers have been doing since it has been a thing: build on private land. Dig to ride. The amount of members of a social media based group or the amount of likes received on a super dope edit of you getting sick air on a gap doesn't help our community gain more access or permission to build sanctioned features. Hard work, patience, advocacy and shaking a lot of proverbial hands does.

*These are people we all know, some of whom make their living hawking bikes. Why do we turn the other cheek when they call out people working their butts off to build relationships with land managers while they do lazy builds alongside public trails, then have the audacity to call out the people doing it legit? I am so tired of it.
This times 1000

Patrick

Staff member
Without judgement, please let opinions and criticism be shared openly without quickly defending - which would then deter further open discussion.

Frustrating yes, but knowing specifics of where/how opposition opinions are formed are critical to any organization.

while this thread wasn't really meant for that purpose, if it goes that way, so be it.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Without judgement, please let opinions and criticism be shared openly without quickly defending - which would then deter further open discussion.

Frustrating yes, but knowing specifics of where/how opposition opinions are formed are critical to any organization.

while this thread wasn't really meant for that purpose, if it goes that way, so be it.
My intent is not to deter open discussion or create more division, but I will always defend trail stewards from off-base criticism. It is part of a much larger discussion, but our community has issues which hold back progress and it's time we address them.

Top Bottom