No bikes at Watchung Reservation?

Watchung being in my backyard, I'd be willing to help with anything to get riding back there. When I joined JORBA I had a few email exchanges with the President on where to start but seems like a huge challenge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

its shocking to me how there isnt at least 1 dedicated day for legal riding in these parks, the same way hunting is allowed on designated days in many other parks. dont get me wrong, it should be allowed all the time, but the 1 dedicated day would be a nice gesture, and a good start to a new relationship betwen the different communities. But it all falls to politics. its an absolute abomination.

Trivan, nice trading emails with ya!

As I said in the SoMo thread, JORBA can only offer assistance to the locals as they are the voices the politicians listen to....possible votes! To those who live nearby, contact the parks department and ask why a local taxpayer can't ride in Watchung. If enough complaints are lodged they may finally listen.

The topic of Watchung comes up every year or so it seems. The horses have the political power in the park, even though they don't really use the trails much nor do they care for the trails at all. I've seen a few horses on the periphery during road rides in the area and have never seen any while hiking there at night.

I've seen a few horses on the periphery during road rides in the area and have never seen any while hiking there at night.

If I didn't smell them every time I rode through on my road bike I wouldn't believe there were horses in there.

I think its a shame places like Watchung and South Mountain Reservations ban off road cycling. Perhaps we will never fully understand the politics behind these bans.

I feel it's not the cyclist who loses here, but the surrounding community and businesses with the lack of impact opening up to MTB could bring. For those who find these places in your backyards, I sympathize with you but know you can always ride the dozens of other spots around NJ.

I used to ride in the Watchung Res back in the 80s. Miss being able to ride 5 minutes from home.

We were Geocaching in the Res about a year ago and were talking to 2 women riding horses and warned them of a downed tree up the trail. She mentioned that it's been there for a while and someone needs to maintain the trails better. I told her the trail systems that let mountain bikes ride are very well maintained by the riders and work together with hikers and horses. She made the comment that she would get out there and help, but most that she see's at the stable think maintenance is someone else's job.

please contact union county

We encourage union county residents who want to ride there to call the union county parks department and follow up with an e-mail to the freeholders.

Does anyone think petitions on change.org would help? Not sure how many union county residents we would be able to sign, but at least then it's official documented. I'm sure I can get my friends and neighbors to sign.

We do not suggest that approach.
An e-mail or letter written respectfully, stating your position provides tangible evidence for your representative to gather and present at meetings where the decisions are made.

Does anyone think petitions on change.org would help? Not sure how many union county residents we would be able to sign, but at least then it's official documented. I'm sure I can get my friends and neighbors to sign.

Last edited:
Ayone have a list of emails for those responsible for handling WR access?

I would start here. http://ucnj.org/community/parks-community-renewal/parks-facilities/feedback-contact
Simply and politely state the fact that you would like to ride your mountain bike on trails in Union County, notably at the Watchung Reservation. If you don't get a response you could call there main number and politely ask who to speak to regarding mountain biking in Union County. (908) 527-4900

As alway if you are not polite you will be treated hostile and probably dismissed. However you should state that you are a tax payer and should not be denied the right to recreation of a healthy popular activity where you live.

As alway if you are not polite you will be treated hostile and probably dismissed. However you should state that you are a tax payer and should not be denied the right to recreation of a healthy popular activity where you live.

This is sooo important when you present an "ask". There are many that will demand and their requests get the back burner.

I would start here. http://ucnj.org/community/parks-community-renewal/parks-facilities/feedback-contact
Simply and politely state the fact that you would like to ride your mountain bike on trails in Union County, notably at the Watchung Reservation. If you don't get a response you could call there main number and politely ask who to speak to regarding mountain biking in Union County. (908) 527-4900

I did send one to that contact page earlier and received a quick resonse from Dondria Newton. I replied to her response, inquiring about mountain biking at WR but haven't received a response to that yet.

might be interesting to see if we could get one 1/2 day exclusion - have a group show up, do some clean-up, and then ride. leave without incident (hopefully)

you know - good ole picnic (no beer, but a pavilion permit), invite some important people, etc.... then go to some local place, spend some $$

anyway, gl, gotta agree with the "ask nicely" approach - probably should get something written down in a letter or email.

some reasons
- safety of riding off the street - esp for kids
- close by
- convenient to rt 22 shopping destinations
- convenient to Summit
- Overlook hospital ER (ok, not this one)
- Trips4Kids could have a ride there for the locals

please add to this list - without going to "it's not fair" -

some reasons
- safety of riding off the street - esp for kids
- close by
- convenient to rt 22 shopping destinations
- convenient to Summit
- Overlook hospital ER (ok, not this one)
- Trips4Kids could have a ride there for the locals

please add to this list - without going to "it's not fair" -

Also in a time of budget cutbacks, County Parks & Recreation Depts. need to justify what they do/ justify there job. Mtb'ers increase attendance in parks, which in turn shows demand for these spaces of recreation.

We need to let Freeholders know we are grateful for open space and recreation and consider these parks to be an asset in the County.

I sent my email, we'll see if a response is given. Will follow up with a call when I'm back in 2 weeks.

So I received a favorable response,here is part of the response:
"As to the Reservation, Parks is currently reviewing the existing policy banning mountain biking in the reservation. The ban was enacted years ago because of environmental and safety concerns. We will be examining the situation, as it exists today, as well as examining parks with similar topography and their experiences with trails that are shared by hikers, horseback riders and mountain bikers."

So I guess a good first step. I reply with a thank you and a let us know what we need to do to prove this is a good thing type of message.

So I received a favorable response,here is part of the response:
"As to the Reservation, Parks is currently reviewing the existing policy banning mountain biking in the reservation. The ban was enacted years ago because of environmental and safety concerns. We will be examining the situation, as it exists today, as well as examining parks with similar topography and their experiences with trails that are shared by hikers, horseback riders and mountain bikers."

So I guess a good first step. I reply with a thank you and a let us know what we need to do to prove this is a good thing type of message.

Awesome stuff, now we just need many more friendly requests and we will get somewhere! Way to go Trivan, and please disregard the last sentence in my email. :)

Back
Top Bottom