New to mountain biking, looking for a bike

DC is right- Go trow a leg over EJ’s $2100 OBO Trance and you maybe surprised to find yourself both in a newtoyou bike that checks all your boxes, AND $2Gs in yo pocket for future fun.
I do not see the $2100 bike you mention. Looked like 3500 was listed.

I do not see the $2100 bike you mention. Looked like 3500 was listed.
This one:
Why not this?

Welcome.

What ever bike you buy, make sure you ride it first and you are comfortable on it.

Also, 27.5 wheels are playful and fun at bike parks. Something to consider.

Finding two additional used bike to possible buy locally. One is trial (Trek Ex 7 2020) one is an Enduro ( Intense Carbine 29 expert 2021). I know they are different bikes, with somewhat different uses in mind. The Intense is about 900 more. Not sure I want an Enduro, the trail seems a bit more balanced to me especially when it will be used primarily around here. The spec is somewhat better on the Intense, and is carbon.

Thoughts?

Finding two additional used bike to possible buy locally. One is trial (Trek Ex 7 2020) one is an Enduro ( Intense Carbine 29 expert 2021). I know they are different bikes, with somewhat different uses in mind. The Intense is about 900 more. Not sure I want an Enduro, the trail seems a bit more balanced to me especially when it will be used primarily around here. The spec is somewhat better on the Intense, and is carbon.

Thoughts?

iv been riding a fuel ex (8 so the slightly higher spec) as my go to trail bike for the last 4 years and its been plenty for the stuff you ride in norther jersey, would probably be overkill for south jersey, but definitely a good solid bike.

iv been riding a fuel ex (8 so the slightly higher spec) as my go to trail bike for the last 4 years and its been plenty for the stuff you ride in norther jersey, would probably be overkill for south jersey, but definitely a good solid bike.
Looking at the trek in a few hours. It's a fair price if the condition is as advertised. It has the NX drive train, which most have said is a big upgrade over the SX. Only thing I could see upgrading are the brakes.

Well I took the Trek Fuel EX 7. It is mechanically perfect. Has a few scrapes and nick, but nothing major. Previous owner added mud guards, did the tubeless tire conversion, and for what it is worth put an oval chainring on it over the stock NX one. All the cables were replaced about 2 months ago. The medium is a decent fit, possible a hair large, but very comfortable to rid. Also felt going lower in my budget was a good choice for my first full suspension. Can always upgrade in the future.

Now I need a coach and people to ride with.

Attachments

• 20210909_132548.jpg
    20210909_132548.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 99
Congrats! (i think?)

Is the tuesday night Allaire ride still on @mike_243 ???

we'll get Six Mile Run and Chimney Rock put back together and get you out with some peeps.

Well I took the Trek Fuel EX 7. It is mechanically perfect. Has a few scrapes and nick, but nothing major. Previous owner added mud guards, did the tubeless tire conversion, and for what it is worth put an oval chainring on it over the stock NX one. All the cables were replaced about 2 months ago. The medium is a decent fit, possible a hair large, but very comfortable to rid. Also felt going lower in my budget was a good choice for my first full suspension. Can always upgrade in the future.

man he already put new cables on a 2020? thats a plus i guess, but iv only changed them out once on my 2018 . . . .

I
Congrats! (i think?)

Is the tuesday night Allaire ride still on @mike_243 ???

we'll get Six Mile Run and Chimney Rock put back together and get you out with some peeps.
Am near Six Mile run, and live about 1 mile from Mercer Park.

What do you mean, I think. :p I am excited, it seems like a really great bike. Will use the saved cash to get some proper shoes and safety gear. I am too old already to be starting this, and do not need added risk. Granted, I am an expert skier so already lacking so brains.

What do you mean, I think. :p

I wasn't 100% sure you pulled the trigger on the purchase!

so now "Big Congrats!"

We've been known to visit MCP occasionally. Probably after the ground freezes tho.

Helmet, gloves, glasses should do it. I'm running some sort of photochromic cheepie glasses from amazon.
knees when ready to "rock" 🤘

Do you run a hydration pack when skiing? might serve double duty.

nice bike congrats!

That Trance X you can pretty much do everything with it. Keep in mind, before I even start looking for bikes I think about where/what type of riding I will be doing. Then I start looking for a bike.

I was at Mercer this morning. Trails are good west of the marina. Give that bike a nice first ride!

I was at Mercer this morning. Trails are good west of the marina. Give that bike a nice first ride!
That was the plan, take it on an easy ride in Mercer. Just not today. Got talked into doing an 18 mile hike yesterday, not sure I am up to much activity today.

I will have a medium 2019 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 project one for sale in the next few weeks. In COVID $$ this would be a 10-12 k bike. I’m looking to get $5,500.00

Back
Top Bottom