New to mountain biking, looking for a bike

drotto25

Thanks for the invite, and I am glad to have found this group. I may be slightly old to start learning to really mountain bike, but recently bought property in VT, and have decided what better way to utilize that property other than skiing and hiking, was to get into biking. I road biked fairly consistently a few years back, but without a steady group to go with and being on the road not exactly my thing, I drifted away from it. Trails and the variety of MTB seem much more for me anyway. I have a very old Trek 7000, but want to get something new any enjoyable. Looking to cap my budget at around $4000, and I want full suspension.

I though I had tracked down a fair deal on a Trek Fuel Ex 7 (2020), but was too slow to pull the trigger. I have also found a few possible bikes that are online (and in stock or have a reasonable delivery date, a shocker), but they do push to the top of my budget. The Intense 951 Trail or the Fezzari Delano Peak Competition seem to be a good fit. Both have decent mid level specs, and are carbon frames. Any other suggestions? Advice? Warnings?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the invite, and I am glad to have found this group. I may be slightly old to start learning to really mountain bike, but recently bought property in VT, and have decided what better way to utilize that property other than skiing and hiking, was to get into biking. I road biked fairly consistently a few years back, but without a steady group to go with and being on the road not exactly my thing, I drifted away from it. Trails and the variety of MTB seem much more for me anyway. I have a very old Trek 7000, but want to get something new any enjoyable. Looking to cap my budget at around $4000, and I want full suspension.

I though I had tracked down a fair deal on a Trek Fuel Ex 7 (2020), but was too slow to pull the trigger. I have also found a few possible bikes that are online (and in stock or have a reasonable delivery date, a shocker), but they do push to the top of my budget. The Intense 951 Trail or the Fezzari Delano Peak Competition seem to be a good fit. Both have decent mid level specs, and are carbon frames. Any other suggestions? Advice? Warnings?

Thanks in advance.

Good first post, btw.

The Intense would have more resale than the Fezzari, due to brand credibility. You don't intend to sell it now, but you might change your mind down the road.

Comparing the two bikes would first be with respect to the fork, then rear suspension. You probably wouldn't be able to replace these in an economically sound manner.

Next, wheels, assuming the frames are comparable. Rolling weight is most important. How do the tires compare? Replaceable, for sure, but more than $100.

Next, which cranks are on each bike? Weight?

Next, drive train level. GX (NX?) or SLX is prolly minimum level anyone on the board will admit to considering.

Brakes?

Best of luck.

PINE WHIP PXL_20210320_184017703.MP-01.jpg

Welcome! There are a bunch of shop owners on here that can chime in with what they have in stock... What size are you looking for? That's a good price point to be looking, I think, as availability is still limited...

^^ I'll go with Dan - start a relationship with a shop.
they'll find you something that fits (size + price) - and help you adjust it properly
then you'll have a warranty, and someone that will work on it as needed.

Don't get crazy about carbon fiber - sure weight is an issue, but not like a road bike.
You'll be paying premium money but not be able to take advantage of it.

Welcome!

Cant agree enough about trying to find something with a local bike shop. At that price range you should be able to find something that fits your needs even with the limited supply of inventory and you wont overpay for something used.

Plus you get the service and support you need longer term without the worry when something bad happens to it, or you need that $5 part or quick fix right before you planned weekend event or race - cause that's when stuff usually goes wrong.

There's a whole section on this forum for new members/riders and group rides - post up pics and details when you find your new bike and jump in to a group ride so many cool peeps on here across all skill levels.

I have checked 3 local shops. All said they are at least 4 to 5 months back ordered, and have zero stock currently. One place had two, but I am not fitting an XL frame. These two were picked based on spec and availability.

Specs.
951 = Sram NX, Fox Rhythm 36 float, Fox Performance Float DPX2, TPR Slate T4 brakes (the weakest point), WTB i30 rim

Fezzari = Shimano SLX, DVO Diamond D1p, DVO Topaz T3, Shimano BL-M6100 brake, WTB STP i29 rim

I think the 951 wins out slightly, and has more brand recognition.

I have checked 3 local shops. All said they are at least 4 to 5 months back ordered, and have zero stock currently. One place had two, but I am not fitting an XL frame. These two were picked based on spec and availability.

Specs.
951 = Sram NX, Fox Rhythm 36 float, Fox Performance Float DPX2, TPR Slate T4 brakes (the weakest point), WTB i30 rim

Fezzari = Shimano SLX, DVO Diamond D1p, DVO Topaz T3, Shimano BL-M6100 brake, WTB STP i29 rim

where are you located?

Wheels: rims and hubs?

Specs.

Wheels: rims and hubs?
The Intense has Kenda (Rigolith) wheels, WTB i30 rims, and looks like Intense branded hubs, Fezzari has Maxis (Agressor and Minion mixed set), WTB STP i29 rims, and Bear Claw MTB hubs.

I live right near Mercer Park in Central NJ.

We have a Giant Trance X 29 2 in stock on the floor in Somerville. Size small, which is designed for riders 5'4"-5'8". (Bike does run a tad big...). $3,500 + freight + tax. Right in the budget, awesome bike, actually exists....

(The medium size for these Trance X 29ers list the rider height recommendation at 5'7"-5'11", fyi....)

A medium is probably where you want to be, but given the increasing reach on modern bikes, a small in some brands might be worth considering. There definitely seem to be more smalls in stock so you could potentially do at least a quick parking lot lap to see how the sizing works for you.

Trailforks is an amazing resource for finding places to ride. Jumping in for the hardtail crowd (unless you intend to do downhill). I retired my Specialized Rockhopper and replaced with a Trek x-caliber8 last year (which I customized to my wants). With the addition of disc brakes, dropper posts, bigger tires, better forks, etc...a hardtail can take you pretty much anywhere at half the cost. Bear in mind you are going to want to buy new pedals, flat shoes, biking shorts, helmet, grips, etc.

Trailforks is an amazing resource for finding places to ride. Jumping in for the hardtail crowd (unless you intend to do downhill). I retired my Specialized Rockhopper and replaced with a Trek x-caliber8 last year (which I customized to my wants). With the addition of disc brakes, dropper posts, bigger tires, better forks, etc...a hardtail can take you pretty much anywhere at half the cost. Bear in mind you are going to want to buy new pedals, flat shoes, biking shorts, helmet, grips, etc.
I want to leave my options open for downhill. I own land 3 miles from Killington so plan on trail riding here, and some downhill up there. Think that put me firmly in the all mountain or trail bike designation for most companies.

We have a Giant Trance X 29 2 in stock on the floor in Somerville. Size small, which is designed for riders 5'4"-5'8". (Bike does run a tad big...). $3,500 + freight + tax. Right in the budget, awesome bike, actually exists....

(The medium size for these Trance X 29ers list the rider height recommendation at 5'7"-5'11", fyi....)
On the Giants I suspect I would go small. I know on Trek I am the standard M. I think on Specialized I also straddle the S to M line.

Welcome to the forum!
Something to consider for sizing on the Giant Trance: I'm 5'8" with sneakers on, riding that medium (the one @Carson posted above). I also have short legs/inseam. I have about 1/2" left available to go down on the seatpost. (Then you can always do small adjustments on the dropper). They do run on the bigger side but I like the feel and fit of a medium. Reach length isn't long because of the slack head tube angle.

If I was looking for a full suspension bike I'd look into a bike with a dw link rear suspension like a pivot or a trance which has a modified dw link rear.

DC is right- Go trow a leg over EJ’s $2100 OBO Trance and you maybe surprised to find yourself both in a newtoyou bike that checks all your boxes, AND $2Gs in yo pocket for future fun.

Back
Top Bottom