new tires

brad-
i have a set of yellow panaracer fire xc that you're welcome to for cheap...if you're into yellow. i liked them a lot but currently running WTBs on the mary and schwalbes on the fuel.

this summer i'm going to try the velociraptors again. i'm sure you've spoken to john and he swears by them. the last set i had WERE NOT the dna compound and they were miserable. the dna compound looks and feels completely different.

i won't be considering these until i'm down around 210ish...hopefully by april. 'til then, i'm running the heavy schwalbes.

man, i hope i drop the lbs so i can lighten my bike up.

I may take you up on that. I have no problem with yellow. I think I am still trying to talk myself into the Panaracer Smoke/Dart combo.

I may take you up on that. I have no problem with yellow. I think I am still trying to talk myself into the Panaracer Smoke/Dart combo.

Don't do it. Listen, I have a Panaracer Smoke on the rear of my SS right now and it's fine for these conditions. But I got this tire for free, from the cheapest human being I have ever known in my life. If he thought there was one-half of one percentage of use to these tires he would never have given them to me. On that bit of evidence alone, I would strongly suggest avoiding them.

I can't speak for the Panaracers as I haven't used them in over ten years. I used the IRC Mythos for a few years and found them mediocre in every sense of the word.

The WTB Velocipaptors perform well in all conditions and are a great workhorse tire. They grip well in the mud and are good for climbing. They seem to perform well until the tread is almost completely gone. The down side is that they are a little heavy and have more than average rolling resistance.

I've been using the Ritchey Z-Max and they seem to work well in all conditions, are light, and roll nicely. They handled the hardpack in Allaire yesterday very well and the muddy stuff over the summer too.

Don't forget to play around with the pressure. Different rider weight and riding styles require different Psi. Some tires have softer sidewalls and require more Psi too.

Kevlar vs. wire. Kevlar is just lighter.

Maybe you can rent tires from pixychick to test out different brands.

Not sure why you dont use what you have until you say it doesnt work for you. I know a guy who rides the tires on your epic all over the world, La Ruta, allamuchy, the 101 ect...

If this is because of the tires on the sass i believe they are 1.9's which are small, why not try them first before you need new tires

I may have a set for you if you really need something.

Yeah, My thinking was that I was going to move my Specialized tires over to the MUSS, and then get a new pair for my Epic.

i've got the pair brad is thinking about. 50 miles on 'em. i liked them, but they have been collecting dust so i want them to live a full life.

The Velociraptors were great on my old Trek hardtail. A buddy of mine was running Panaracers and didn't seem all that impressed. I would say read through the massive amount of reviews on MTBR to make up your mind. The strengths/weaknesses will sort out how well one of those tires might work for your type of riding.

True, mainly LM/PP. Eventually, I may hit KVSP and then try MD.

Then I suggest saving your money. For LM/PP you could run slicks and be fine. Besides, don't you still have to slide this particular purchase past Mrs. Brad? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom