new rider!!!! hears my story haha

YAMA

hi everyone. my names bobby im 18 from belford nj and im new into the sport of mountain biking. ive always been into biking and always owned a mountain bike but just didnt go and hit trails. that all changed about 2 weeks ago when my dad gave me his cannondale F400. he bought im guessing in 2003 for when we went camping. but soon after we stopped camping and the bike was only used once or twice. so back to 2011. i had some friends that where really into bikes so i decided to go and see if they could fix the bike i had. something was really messed up with it so there was no point in fixing it. i mentioned it to my dad one week and he said he would give me his old bike for my high school graduation. so when i went to his house one weekend we went to the storage unit where the bike was. when i opened the door there it was. covered in dust because it was sitting for years on end. but when i got it home and clean it up i found out it was in perfect condition. no a scratch on it, no dents on the frame, both tires have all original tread. like it was never ridden. because it wasn't. so when i looked it up and discovered that it was a really good mountain bike and looked to find some places to go mountain biking in my area. and that's when i found this website and off this website i found the JORBA website. i went on the wiki found out that theres a listed park 4 miles from my house i make right and another right and im there. this park is Hartshorne and Huber Woods. so the next day last Friday June 24th i planned on going. it was raining but i thought that the rain would make the experience even better (which it does). and withing the first half-mile i was hooked and in love with mountain biking. it was so much fun. so since then ive been going 3 or 4 times a week. some day i go twice. i love it. thats my story

now i am a big noob when it comes down to this stuff. i dont know what the hell FR and DJ and SS means and i would like to know. also have know idea what tires i should have on my bike or how much tire pressure. when to shift gears when not to. so basically what this paragraph is all about is. im looking for some people to "show me the ropes" weather it be on the forums or we go ride. from what i see from looking through the forums you guys are good at that. my most local spot to ride is Hartshorne but if i have the money for fuel im willing to travel.

im not the most athletic person. im a tall skinny guy but i got some leg strength from running cross country but ill admit im out of shape. for years my summers consisted of playing xbox all day and not seeing the sun. those day are over. i want to work on my endurance so i can do longer rides. right now im mostly doing the hartshorne rocky point trail which on my mapmyride.com account comes out to 2.4 miles and my best time being 23 minutes (clockwise from portland parking lot). its something i want to improve and i have improved this week. i cut 6 minutes off my time.

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/39570940

im also just looking for people to ride with. if you see a guy on a black cannondale with yellow letters on it or a guy chilling around a big black Chevy silverado with a silver truckbox come by and say hi. ill be happy to ride with you if you want if you can deal with my slowness ahaha. i dont want to always be riding by myself. so feel free to approach me and ask me to ride. ill proboly be down. also if your looking for me a got a black backpack and my helmet is spray painted gold. and if your lucky ill have my Orange iguanas shirt on and i look like im on legends of the hidden temple.

bike.jpg

my bike

Welcome!
On Tuesday nights at 6pm there is a well attended BEGINNER ride at Allaire Park. We meet at the Hospital Road lot. You can find a thread on the Allaire Section of this board.
The ride is as fast as the slowest rider.

I'll leave the comments about riding on wet trails to others.

welcome aboard, the tuesday night rides are a great way to learn the basic do's and don'ts and just have a good time with a bunch of great folks hope to see you there..

Welcome, sounds like the bug bit you good! :)

FR=Free Ride (hitting big jumps and drops) or Full Rigid (no suspension)
DJ=Dirt Jump (riding on a groomed dirt track with jumps, tabletops, berms, etc)
SS=Single Speed (a bike with only one gear, no shifters)

Enjoy the sweet new bike!

I must advise you...you broke one important rule of mountain biking... NEVER photograph your bike with a bunch of trash cans in the background! ;)

im not the most athletic person. im a tall skinny guy but i got some leg strength from running cross country but ill admit im out of shape.

sounds like your perfect for cycling.
Welcome!

Welcome to the spot!!! (I am reading this now, because the ride I was to do this morning got rained out.) Hope to see you on the trails soon.

I'm planning to do Allaire tomorrow morning.
It's going to be my first time riding there.

Let me know if you're interested (anyone else is welcome to join as well) - I hope to get started at or around 10:30am.

-Alex

Hey guys, you might want to reconsider. Allaire got pounded by the storms tonight, and the trails could use some drying time. Please remember a lot of the folks on this board, bust their asses working these trails.

thanks

Welcome to the site, and riding on wet trails is a no no. Messes up things that people worked hard to maintain.

Otherwise..happy trails!

Back
Top Bottom