New DH Bike

C

Carn75

Well i'm getting ready to buy my first DH bike and so far i've really been leaning towards the Jamis Diablo 2.0,but recently Diablo Freeride Park has put their rental bikes,IronHorse Sundays, up for sale at around $1600.00 Thats about half the price of the Diablo,but its used.Whats everyone's opinions on both bikes,and also should i look into getting a used bike for my first,or would new be better.Thanks, Joe.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I say get the used bike. It's cheaper & it's a great bike. Use the extra $ for the best pads, helmet, etc. Just make sure the bike isn't beat to death.

Kirt

Frank

Sasquatch
go new

Thats about half the price of the Diablo,but its used.

You mean...extremely used. These things get the shiite kicked out of them. Go with the Jamis or another new bike and beat the crap out of it yourself. One of my friends rented a Sunday at Diablo ,and while we were dressing in the lot the tire blew off the rim. Just leaning against my van with no one on it. The rims take a lot of punishment, the suspensions are never set for the rider, so everyone bottoms the crap out of them, and you know these have tumbled through more than one rock garden. Not that the Sundays are not good, but I would want a new one or one that that was owned by someone. JMO

C

Carn75

Cool thanks for the advice guys.What everyone think of the Diablo...good bike to start with,or should i look at others? My LBS can get me a pretty good deal on one,not fantastic,but a good deal non the less.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
looks like a decent bike. you'll probably get more downhillers over the next few days that could give better info than i on this....

slightly off topic, rock shox wanted to come out with a fork called the diablo back in the mid nineties. jamis sued them. so they held a contest in magazines, and the chosen winner was a guy who wanted to have them named after his girlfriend, judy.

Frank

Sasquatch
Cool thanks for the advice guys.What everyone think of the Diablo...good bike to start with,or should i look at others? My LBS can get me a pretty good deal on one,not fantastic,but a good deal non the less.

It's a pretty sweet ride. Good for Diablo, might be a little nervous for Platty. I like a 66 deg head angle for DH but that's because I'm old.:D

ArmyOfNone

slightly off topic, rock shox wanted to come out with a fork called the diablo back in the mid nineties. jamis sued them. so they held a contest in magazines, and the chosen winner was a guy who wanted to have them named after his girlfriend, judy.

This mountain bike fun fact of the day was brought to you by...ooga booga

The Rose

I have to agree with the other guys on here and say , avoid the rental. Those bikes are ridden into the ground daily. Diablo itself will kill new bikes the first time out, after riding that place everyday for the whole season the bikes are ready for the scrap heap.

Spylab

My best friend Bryan (FastBandit) bought a rental Yakuza from Diablo. He paid $500, and requested a specific bike. Apparently one of them had its garbage Kingpin Stance rebuilt stance rebuilt one too many times, so Jamie from Diablo put his own Boxxer on there. Bry picked this one up. He replaced both tires, the bottom bracket, the headset and some maintenance stuff like brake pads, brake fluid etc., and the bike is in tip top shape (he also disassembled it completely and painted it matte paprika, and cleaned out all the gunk top to bottom).

Don't even bother if you expect to buy one of those Sundays and ride it full-time without replacing anything. The bikes are generally hammered, and though the main components are in good shape, and blown fork could set you back a grand right from the start.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
If you go the used way just let Jamie(at Diablo) know you were on a board w/ Brett E. (me) and tell him your concerns.He will give you the best he can W/ my referral shall we say.................................

Top Bottom