New 1UP Heavy Duty Owner…any tips?

kjarrett

Just got this and loaded a couple bikes on it. Haven’t had a chance to drive with it yet but I’m sure it’s going to be rock-solid. Anything I need to know as a new owner? Care/upkeep? Storage? Damn it’s HEAVY! I got a second lock so I can secure at least one of the bikes which is really all I need, super nice of them to make the locks keyed alike. Now I have four keys, which is nice. The engineering on this rack is incredible…

42B014FD-9F41-4942-A9DA-C1F72261A3D9.jpeg

Any chance you want to weight it? :)

The 1UP racks seemed nice as they were lightweight, but seemed to have gotten heavier over the years...

Idk if it's just me but their bolts seize very quickly for roof rack need me to use a breaker every time anti seize might be a good idea?

Also a safety chain is a cheap insurance policy if it falls off I'd rather drag it versus loose it

Any chance you want to weight it? :)

The 1UP racks seemed nice as they were lightweight, but seemed to have gotten heavier over the years...
They claim 46 pounds, it’s awkward to lift but I might wait just to check for myself as well

Attachments

• 7E487C6B-CDE4-4FEC-A4B9-4411260596BB.jpeg
    7E487C6B-CDE4-4FEC-A4B9-4411260596BB.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 185
Idk if it's just me but their bolts seize very quickly for roof rack need me to use a breaker every time anti seize might be a good idea?

Also a safety chain is a cheap insurance policy if it falls off I'd rather drag it versus loose it
Anti-seize seems like a good idea. I also wondered about some sort of safety chain but I have been looking carefully at other people that have this rack and none I’ve seen had anything like that. Have to say the ratchet mechanisms seem hella strong tho.

I've had to hit the pivoting points recently with lubricant. They were binding and stopping the ratchet from engaging properly.

Used Boeshield, but didn't futz with the tension on the screws...moves like greased lightning now.

I had a tow chain on mine instead of the velcro strap for ~2 weeks. The lock I used to join it was seized solid after that. I wouldn't trust a brass body to hold together if the ball failed in the hitch. Cut it off, and didn't bother after that.

Good point.

I find the tightening mechanism loosens on mine over time. Check for movement from time to time and retighten. I also use a chain and lock for safety and security when I leave it on for any long period.

5A101DBF-955B-4639-B2D1-5D668F99E80F.jpeg

Given that it’s so easy to put on/take off the car, I try not to leave mine on when I don’t plan to use it for multi-day stretches, particularly when there is precipitation.

While the bulk of the rack is aluminum, some of the fasteners are non-stainless steel, and I’ve seen some pretty ugly corrosion on racks that live in the elements 24/7. The pivot bolt at the end of each tray can fail; I’m pretty sure @Joe J had that happen a while back.

Last edited:
Given that it’s so easy to put on/take off the car, I try not to leave mine on when I don’t plan for use it for multi-day stretches, particularly when there is precipitation.

While the bulk of the rack is aluminum, some of the fasteners are non-stainless steel, and I’ve seen some pretty ugly corrosion on racks that live in the elements 24/7. The pivot bolt at the end of each tray can fail; I’m pretty sure @Joe J had that happen a while back.

If you can find them, in order of preference:

Zinc-flake, zinc-aluminum, hot-dipped galvanized, zinc-chromate, galvanized. Galvanized hardware probably won't work well for a rack, since it is kinda chunky compared to the zinc platings.

Zinc-flake is hard to find, but is super corrosion resistant. Stainless might perform better there, but it is weaker, so pick your poison (the cost of high-hardness stainless screws is ~$20-30 each in the sizes that you'd need).

The non-stainless stuff on the racks (the pivots/wheel holders) are zinc-chromate, fwiw.

Given that it’s so easy to put on/take off the car, I try not to leave mine on when I don’t plan for use it for multi-day stretches, particularly when there is precipitation.

Not a bad memory for an old guy😄 Yeah I had one come out not sure how the bike didn’t come off. I now put a toe strap around a wheel.

Awesome information, thanks everyone. Exactly why I posted. Much appreciated.

This rack will be off the car when not in use, would love to build something out of wood perhaps or attach to the garage wall to store it. Need to think about that.

Still trying to get the bike REMOVAL process down. Putting them ON is easy, rear first, lock down, then front. But how do I release the rear while steadying the bike when the front has been released? I need a third hand. Oooooof...

Mine came with a lock (for the hitch itself), and I got an extra one (keyed alike, nice) so I can lock the bike as well, but my bikes aren't worth much.

Love the toe strap idea, Joe. Stealing that. I've actually had a tire go flat IN the rack while transporting, that would be bad on the 1UP, but I guess BOTH would have to go flat for it to be a major problem. A toe strap would provide extra reassurance.

I need to lube the joints, don't have any Boeshield, can I just use my regular lube? I use Pedro's Dry (also Wet). Or should I use something else?

-kj-

If you can find them, in order of preference:

Zinc-flake, zinc-aluminum, hot-dipped galvanized, zinc-chromate, galvanized. Galvanized hardware probably won't work well for a rack, since it is kinda chunky compared to the zinc platings.

Zinc-flake is hard to find, but is super corrosion resistant. Stainless might perform better there, but it is weaker, so pick your poison (the cost of high-hardness stainless screws is ~$20-30 each in the sizes that you'd need).

The non-stainless stuff on the racks (the pivots/wheel holders) are zinc-chromate, fwiw.
Add Armor Coat fasteners to your list.

This rack will be off the car when not in use, would love to build something out of wood perhaps or attach to the garage wall to store it. Need to think about that.

One day I will buy one of these for inside my garage to hold my very heavy Thule XT Pro2 which currently sits on the floor of the garage, leaning against the wall and tethered to some ladder hooks with bungee cords.

Amazon product ASIN B0050OUTQ6
I didnt know this was actually made by 1UP but i think this and others can hold any type hitch rack.

This assumes I have enough clearance to do so since I generally keep my cars in the garage.

One day I will buy one of these for inside my garage to hold my very heavy Thule XT Pro2 which currently sits on the floor of the garage, leaning against the wall and tethered to some ladder hooks with bungee cords.

I didnt know this was actually made by 1UP but i think this and others can hold any type hitch rack.

This assumes I have enough clearance to do so since I generally keep my cars in the garage.

i just ordered the $43 version. (there is a coupon in there)

Amazon product ASIN B0968TLLK4

i just ordered the $43 version. (there is a coupon in there)

Amazon product ASIN B0968TLLK4

Dead links :(

I have this exact thing for my Thule XT Pro2 and it is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom