need help... Cassette removal

TonyC

hey wrenches, please help... I'm having difficulty removing the cassette from the driveshell.

I removed the first couple individual cogs, but the remainder larger cogs will not slide off. Obviously dug in the splined (grooves).

I tried Wd40 and lightly tapping with screwdriver and hammer to no avail.
Possibly two chain whips (only have one)

Is there an obvious way to remove without damaging the drivesheel?

please help!
thx
Tony

BiknBen

I removed the first couple individual cogs, but the remainder larger cogs will not slide off. Obviously dug in the splined (grooves).

These cogs are all connected to the same spider? If so, two whips will not helps.

I think you need to tap harder. Rubber mallet? If it is dug into the cassette body, try hitting the cassette and make it spin backwards (counter-clockwise).

TonyC

These cogs are all connected to the same spider? If so, two whips will not helps.

I think you need to tap harder. Rubber mallet? If it is dug into the cassette body, try hitting the cassette and make it spin backwards (counter-clockwise).

hi Ben,
Yes and no. The bigger 5or6 cogs are connected.
Tonight I'm going to try putting on the small cog and hold with chainwhip and do what you said.. Whack it with Rubber mallet.

Hope it works.

btw, I was in a pinch Sat night trying to get my bike back to SS for the 6-mile ride on Sunday. I guess it was a blessing I couldn't.. I would have been really spinning out w/ 32x20.

What do you guys run SS down there? 18,17?

thx
Tony

BiknBen

Here's an idea. Put the two cogs back in place. Put the whip on one of those cogs (to keep the cassette from turning). Then use another whip to pull the stuck cogs in the counter-clockwise direction.

Since you don't have a second chain-whip. I would hit the stuck cogs in the counter-clockwise direction. How hard you hit it is up to you. Rubber mallets are great for applying force without doing damage.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
hey wrenches, please help... I'm having difficulty removing the cassette from the driveshell.

Is there an obvious way to remove without damaging the drivesheel?

please help!
thx
Tony

This is fairly common if you have an aluminum freehub body, I usually use a punch and mallet to tap the carrier portion of the cassette from behind. Afterwards use a fine file and take the raised grooves down to the same height as the rest of the splines.

-Jim.

TonyC

After several minutes of wacking it finally came off. What a PITA.

I used the rubber mallet on the cassette then used a piece of 1/4 round moulding from behind.

No more cheaper steel cluster for me. Got to get an aluminum style carrier cassette.

Jim,
I took your advice and filed off the little burrs.

Back to SS :D

walter

Fourth Party
btw, I was in a pinch Sat night trying to get my bike back to SS for the 6-mile ride on Sunday. I guess it was a blessing I couldn't.. I would have been really spinning out w/ 32x20.

What do you guys run SS down there? 18,17?

thx
Tony

I use 34t rotor ring and 20 in the back, me likey

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
I usually use a punch and mallet to tap the carrier portion of the cassette from behind. -Jim.

I tapped the hub assembly off once using that method. That was the day I learnt how to put them back together, not fun for a weekend warrior I tell ya.

Top Bottom