Need advice on winter rideing.

MTB Aussie

Just blow some air back in the tube when your done drinking. Its not the bladder that freezes, it's the tube. Works like a charm.
I havent found the tube freezes at anything above 20 degrees. If so, you need to drink more often to stop it from sitting in the tube long enough to freeze. Otherwise, ride on. You don't need to worry about mud once the ground freezes! Good times.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
I never had a problem with my bike in the winter. Frozen camelbaks, yes.

It's not like once the weather hits 25, the trails all turn into 2 ft deep mud bogs. Just take care of your cables and chain and you will be fine.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
What I would like to know is, What could I do to make my cables not freeze?
What do other riders do to there bikes to prepare for winter?
Any other advice on winter rideing?

Gore cables will help keep things running smooth unless it is cold enough for your derailler linkage to freeze but that isnt going to happen until the low twenties and you dip you rear wheel in water or mud, which really only happens if you ride through streams at that temp.

If you ride during the day or evening, you have awhile until you have to worry about anything. If you ride early in the morning, we could see temps in the 20's quite soon. Really the only thing I do is maybe switch to a heavier chain lube and maybe play with air pressure in my fork.

If it is below freezing and your bike gets muddy, just leave the mud on because trying to wash it off with just introduce more water to your bike, the mud acts as a protecting barrier, especially if it doesn't get much above freeze for a few days.

Mr_T

I was just about to suggest Gore frictionless cables.....they are about $60 and well worth the $$. Your shifting will be super smooth all year round.

Gore cables will help keep things running smooth unless it is cold enough for your derailler linkage to freeze but that isnt going to happen until the low twenties and you dip you rear wheel in water or mud, which really only happens if you ride through streams at that temp.

If you ride during the day or evening, you have awhile until you have to worry about anything. If you ride early in the morning, we could see temps in the 20's quite soon. Really the only thing I do is maybe switch to a heavier chain lube and maybe play with air pressure in my fork.

If it is below freezing and your bike gets muddy, just leave the mud on because trying to wash it off with just introduce more water to your bike, the mud acts as a protecting barrier, especially if it doesn't get much above freeze for a few days.

don

Winter is good to take a break, get some days on snow (ski or board), a local club has outdoor ice hockey which is an absolute blast and keeps the legs and lungs working.

Some other options for the bike: get a trip or 2 out to Ray's to keep the skills tuned or ride Allaire or some southern trails.

Top Bottom