Need advice on winter rideing.

MTBTyler

I dont ever want to stop rideing, im afraid that if I put the bike away for the winter ill lose some of my skills and have to get back into it all over again.

I went last year once in the winter it was about 35 degrees out and the ground was solid, the tracks left in the mud were frozen and bumpy. It was fun till my shifter cables froze and was stuck in a very low gear. I tryed heating them up by breathing on them. But they froze again in a few minutes even worse than before. By that time I couldnt move my hands and still had a 20 minute walk back.

What I would like to know is, What could I do to make my cables not freeze?
What do other riders do to there bikes to prepare for winter?
Any other advice on winter rideing?

warcricket

Like a Jerk
this winter I'm planing on going single speed to avoid the usual mechanical problems that come with the cold season and mud. just be sure to clean your bike well after every ride. mud will kill everything.
as far as freezing... don't get wet?

MTBTyler

this winter I'm planing on going single speed to avoid the usual mechanical problems that come with the cold season and mud. just be sure to clean your bike well after every ride. mud will kill everything.
as far as freezing... don't get wet?
How are ss? it seems to me like they would make you very tired and you cant go up hills?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
gear cables? you dont need them :p

last year i didnt ride much in the cold weather, but im going to start. im more worried about that salt/water mix in my camelback :p

Cables are the issue....

I dont ever want to stop rideing, im afraid that if I put the bike away for the winter ill lose some of my skills and have to get back into it all over again.

I went last year once in the winter it was about 35 degrees out and the ground was solid, the tracks left in the mud were frozen and bumpy. It was fun till my shifter cables froze and was stuck in a very low gear. I tryed heating them up by breathing on them. But they froze again in a few minutes even worse than before. By that time I couldnt move my hands and still had a 20 minute walk back.

What I would like to know is, What could I do to make my cables not freeze?
What do other riders do to there bikes to prepare for winter?
Any other advice on winter rideing?

Well you don't need a whole new bike. New cables kept completely dry (water in the cable is what freezes and keeps the cable from moving) or.... WD-40 in the cable will displace the water (hence the WD part = water displacement) and help keep the cable from freezing.

Don't be afraid to take some time off. Many times the layoff rejuvinates the mind and brings you back with renewed and recharged drive. Also logs seem to shrink when you put them away for a winter break too.

That's a start anyway.

Last edited:

MTBTyler

gear cables? you dont need them :p

last year i didnt ride much in the cold weather, but im going to start. im more worried about that salt/water mix in my camelback :p
haha I never even thought about that. I think I would just take bladder out and use the camel back as a bag and put some hot tea or just hot water in a thermous

Panhead

How are ss? it seems to me like they would make you very tired and you cant go up hills?

Thats why we push our s/s its alot easier than riding 'em;). I never use my gearie in the winter because of the freeze ups. Only problem I had last year was the disc brakes freezing up.

s4lnj

since i'm new to mtb, i never even thought about this- you don't have those issues on a bmx bike. looks like single speed is the way to go then ? since i will not start mtb untill my bmx season is over next week.

op-- ss might make you a stronger rider when you get the gears back come warm weather-- give it a shot, you never know

The Kalmyk

Tyler you gave an eight speed cassette correct...The shifting is usually very dependable...If you need a rd I would say you can get away with something under a hundy no problem

i have ridden Rv in below freezing temps and i'm done fine except for my hands and my nalgene pack(like a camelback) freezing. Salt mixxed with the water? uhmm seem's logical but that would be nasty and make you more thirsty right?

If your shifters are freezing then thats weird. At rv i've ridden through creeks and my bike shifts fine and disc shouldn't freeze, metal breaks of ice, i've had my rims and spokes freeze over before and my bike rode fine. Try it out first before wasting money.

J-Dro

i have ridden Rv in below freezing temps and i'm done fine except for my hands and my nalgene pack(like a camelback) freezing. Salt mixxed with the water? uhmm seem's logical but that would be nasty and make you more thirsty right?

Just blow some air back in the tube when your done drinking. Its not the bladder that freezes, it's the tube. Works like a charm.

Top Bottom