Nassau Trail conditions

While the trails are in good condition, the park definitely needs a little TLC. Both Spring Side and OG are getting overgrown and could use a whacking. There are also lots of smaller trees down across the trails. Most are in that 6-10" dia range and could probably be taken out with a hand saw.

If you ride there, plan on doing just a little bit of trail maintenance and it will greatly help.

Rode there today, it was great. I have not been keeping up to date on what's going on at HB. It's a bit far for me but I ride here once in a while. I hope this park won't close down. So are we allowed to ride Springside? The signs are a bit confusing.

Rode there today, it was great. I have not been keeping up to date on what's going on at HB. It's a bit far for me but I ride here once in a while. I hope this park won't close down. So are we allowed to ride Springside? The signs are a bit confusing.

Trailforks has the info. Cross at the field, not the parking lot. Section is closed to mtb, not hikers

Even their signs are stupid: "Passive recreation only, no cycling"

Legal definition of passive recreation:

"Passive recreation means recreational activities that are commonly unorganized and noncompetitive, including, but not limited to, picnicking, bird watching, kite flying, bicycling, and walking."

we've been through this - cycling is explicitly prohibited in the 'deed' or whatever legal instrument grants them the rights to use the property.

Trailforks has the info. Cross at the field, not the parking lot. Section is closed to mtb, not hikers
I'm not trying to be confrontational, but how is Trailforks (or this site) an official park notification? When I have been there it's very confusing which trails are open and closed to biking especially once you have started from a specific place. I assume that if I am confused as someone who knows about the closure, then folks who don't would be completely in the dark.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but how is Trailforks an official park notification? When I have been there it's very confusing which trails are open and closed to biking especially once you have started from a specific place. I assume that if I am confused as someone who knows about the closure, then folks who don't would be completely in the dark.

It's poorly done. Like I posted yesterday, there are no signs at the entrance to the "closed to cyclists" trails. You will start to see them further in. I saw evidence of lots of cyclists still riding.

Would it be better if someone attempted to close the trails permanently? Maybe if they cut down a bunch of trees or covered them with debris to discourage riding?

Maybe it would be better to just enjoy them as is and not talk about it anymore.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but how is Trailforks (or this site) an official park notification? When I have been there it's very confusing which trails are open and closed to biking especially once you have started from a specific place. I assume that if I am confused as someone who knows about the closure, then folks who don't would be completely in the dark.

I wasn't saying it is an official site. It identifies the restricted trails, since the info isn't out there.

Probably what @jShort and @Carson mentioned might apply

I’ve not been out but once since this all resurfaced. It was fairly overgrown when I visited and I left pretty scratched up. It sort if is what it is at this point. Best bet is probably to “just don’t ask, don’t tell.” As annoyed as I am about the whole situation, I know that the town has bigger fish to fry than enforcing MTB trails. Maintenance is going to take a hit. After 12 years, I’m done. We’ll see what he town of High Bridge does in that regard. Nothing, I imagine. It seems that traffic has taken a hit too. I think screwing 50 signs I to the trees is rich with irony, since the trail situation (supported by the aforementioned deed restrictions) is to preserve the environment.

I would avoid entering or exiting via the old connector trail. They should just close it more thoroughly imo. Nobody asks me anymore.

That said, ripping the signs off trees, and overly vocalizing the situation is not going to help matters and may cause further problems. Otherwise, what happens in the woods, stays in the woods.

I’ve not been out but once since this all resurfaced. It was fairly overgrown when I visited and I left pretty scratched up. It sort if is what it is at this point. Best bet is probably to “just don’t ask, don’t tell.” As annoyed as I am about the whole situation, I know that the town has bigger fish to fry than enforcing MTB trails. Maintenance is going to take a hit. After 12 years, I’m done. We’ll see what he town of High Bridge does in that regard. Nothing, I imagine. It seems that traffic has taken a hit too. I think screwing 50 signs I to the trees is rich with irony, since the trail situation (supported by the aforementioned deed restrictions) is to preserve the environment.

I would avoid entering or exiting via the old connector trail. They should just close it more thoroughly imo. Nobody asks me anymore.

That said, ripping the signs off trees, and overly vocalizing the situation is not going to help matters and may cause further problems. Otherwise, what happens in the woods, stays in the woods.

Jeff- Just wanted to send a quick message to thank you for the 12 years of time and energy you put in that made this place special. I had the opportunity to work a few TM days with you and the crew and it became very clear how much true work went into this place. I am biking today because of the great rides I have enjoyed over the years at Nassau. They would not have been possible without you and your crews’ efforts. Thank you.

Trails were good to go. A very few greasy spots but no need to avoid it. Should be all hero dirt tomorrow

Jeff- Just wanted to send a quick message to thank you for the 12 years of time and energy you put in that made this place special. I had the opportunity to work a few TM days with you and the crew and it became very clear how much true work went into this place. I am biking today because of the great rides I have enjoyed over the years at Nassau. They would not have been possible without you and your crews’ efforts. Thank you.
Thank you! It’s been pretty cool to see them grow and become a popular destination. I remember sort of begging Norm to do a short track race there years ago to help us show what is possible to the town. Lot’s of volunteers have been involved for a long time. Many have done much more than I have. I just foolishly got it started when I had no idea what it would take. Without Thatcher, Paul, Kamo, Mike, Bob, Matt, Todd and many others it never would have become what it has. Ironically, during Covid (I remember K absolutely torched me on FB for our temporary closure then - she got a secret feature named for her by the crew 😃) when outdoor recreation was needed most, a cranky neighbor caused a big stink with the NJDEP and that changed everything. Glad folks have gotten a lot of enjoyment from it.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions