Nassau Trail conditions

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
I'm such an idiot. Left the house at 630 to ride some frozen trails only to see this. Should have checked this thread ahead of time.

View attachment 179608

All was not lost though. My 140 travel felt like overkill but I turned my morning into a 15 mile gravel and roadie ride. In case anyone is wondering, Columbia trail and the Ken Lockwood gorge are always open and conditions are fine, if a bit sugar glazed.

Lots of gravel coated in ice on Colombia. No traction issues though.

View attachment 179609

Ken Lockwood was gorgeous as usual. Some more ice and patches of slick frozen water but totally rideable.

View attachment 179610

View attachment 179611

View attachment 179616

View attachment 179612

Checked out the Komline property on the way back too. At least I got to stretch the bike's legs on that downhill section by the falls.

View attachment 179613

View attachment 179614

View attachment 179615

So parting messages... don't be a doofus like me and show up to ride trails that are closed. And even over biking a gravel ride is still more fun than staying home.
Bummer, but you did the right thing and made the most of the situation. Unlike those dolts that ride 6 mile despite the “trail closed” tape/signs and then brag about their mud-encrusted bikes like it’s some sort of badge of honor. More like badge of idiocy. 😀 Pics look great. Haven’t seen that structure before.

JPark

a
I'm such an idiot. Left the house at 630 to ride some frozen trails only to see this. Should have checked this thread ahead of time.

View attachment 179608

All was not lost though. My 140 travel felt like overkill but I turned my morning into a 15 mile gravel and roadie ride. In case anyone is wondering, Columbia trail and the Ken Lockwood gorge are always open and conditions are fine, if a bit sugar glazed.

Lots of gravel coated in ice on Colombia. No traction issues though.

View attachment 179609

Ken Lockwood was gorgeous as usual. Some more ice and patches of slick frozen water but totally rideable.

View attachment 179610

View attachment 179611

View attachment 179616

View attachment 179612

Checked out the Komline property on the way back too. At least I got to stretch the bike's legs on that downhill section by the falls.

View attachment 179613

View attachment 179614

View attachment 179615

So parting messages... don't be a doofus like me and show up to ride trails that are closed. And even over biking a gravel ride is still more fun than staying home
A few days ago I was rolling down the D&R tow path with 180mm of travel so don't feel bad!
Smooth ride and it kept me a lot warmer pedaling harder and moving slower.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
And we got crushed by a thunderstorm around 9pm. I left a few windows open and it got pretty wet so I’m sure there’sa ton of water out there

mwlikesbikes

Any word on when the trails will be open again? I would imagine that today and tomorrow will be our last real freeze/thaw days this spring.

CNJRider

Joker
At risk of stating the obvious, conditions were primo today. Ironically saw more standing water on Colombia and Ken Lockwood.

20220416_155812.jpg

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
This place is also good to go!

IMG_20220424_115114296_HDR.jpg

In my opinion this is why signs like this are not optimal (especially since the the permanently mounted default is that trails are closed). Both parking lots were pretty full so if you force people to ignore the signs, then they become useless. I had some people ask me if the trails were closed and I just said that I heard conditions were good (and they were almost perfect by the way).

Conspiracy theorists have at it. 😂

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
View attachment 183508

In my opinion this is why signs like this are not optimal (especially since the the permanently mounted default is that trails are closed). Both parking lots were pretty full so if you force people to ignore the signs, then they become useless. I had some people ask me if the trails were closed and I just said that I heard conditions were good (and they were almost perfect by the way).

Conspiracy theorists have at it. 😂

Agreed. They lose any meaning when they’re not kept up to date. Great intentions but the upkeep is hard in reality.

We went again today. Still pretty much perfect.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
They are open unless it rained in the past 24hours. This is why signs need diligent management otherwise they mean nothing. They have a FB page you can follow that they keep up to date.

robcleary

I think I met one of you at the top of the Flow Trails (you asked about if we knew if the Nassau trails were open). My buddy and I went over and rode the southern half and everything was bone dry. Should be primo for the weekend, or at least until Monday's rain rolls around.

Glorybound32

I think I met one of you at the top of the Flow Trails (you asked about if we knew if the Nassau trails were open). My buddy and I went over and rode the southern half and everything was bone dry. Should be primo for the weekend, or at least until Monday's rain rolls around.
Yep that was me. I eventually went over to springside and conditions were great.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Slick corners on Lowlands.

There is a tree down after the log ride

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions