Nassau Trail Conditions (old)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for posting that ride, the Observatory climb is a top 10 for sure. We made a couple wrong turns but figured it out. Loved the newer stuff with the switchback climb across Nassau Rd as well.
How did you like that climb into vorhees from the road? :D

That into the observatory climb is tough

phillychris498

Everything was prime today when I rode. The corners are starting to get a tiny bit dusty though.. Better than them being slick. Go ride it!

bigsl0ppy

How did you like that climb into vorhees from the road? :D

That into the observatory climb is tough

That climb was tough and I tried to clear those step ups on the first right but clearly should have stayed left. Next time I'll get the granny prepped for that beast.

phillychris498

Rode Nassau today (as well as the highlands trail from 513 to the columbia trail- that trail was crazy!) and had a blast, even though the trails were a little slick. Nassau drains so well you don't have to worry about riding there the day after some rain as long as it wasn't a sustained rainfall. It should be nice and dry by tomorrow as long as the rain stays away.

phillychris498

Nassau was tacky from today's early morning rain, but should be perfect tomorrow. As of sunday, there is still a large tree down on the upper springside trail :cry::cry: It will probably require a re-route... we'll see.

evo456

anyone have a REAL traip map for this place? i found some pretty sad dashed line one. this is probably the most confusing set of trails ive ever rode

phillychris498

anyone have a REAL traip map for this place? i found some pretty sad dashed line one. this is probably the most confusing set of trails ive ever rode

there aren't any trail maps of the place really, but after you learn the trails it isn't too hard to find your way around. If you want I have a 6-7 mile loop that hits everything at nassau that I could ride with you.

evo456

that would be awesome. ive been to nassau a bunch of times, last time i went i literally got lost and ended up passing the same intersection like 5 times even though i went different ways. took be 45 minutes to get back to a place i knew lol

phillychris498

that would be awesome. ive been to nassau a bunch of times, last time i went i literally got lost and ended up passing the same intersection like 5 times even though i went different ways. took be 45 minutes to get back to a place i knew lol

PM me to figure out when we can ride.

phillychris498

Everything rode pretty well today, but I actually lost my spot on one of the trails cause of the amount of leaves down in spots... :confused: other than those leaves everything is good, and that big tree down on upper springside has been rerouted.

phillychris498

Trails have been leaf blown, and they feel great. There's a new trail on springside that promises to be a good one; it should be 100% ready within the month.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Leaf blown trails= bad future of said trail.

everyone has their opinion and they are just that, opinions as there's no real science to back it up either way. It's been done at WVP on and off for years and it's changed nothing, trails are pretty much the same as they've always been.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
everyone has their opinion and they are just that, opinions as there's no real science to back it up either way. It's been done at WVP on and off for years and it's changed nothing, trails are pretty much the same as they've always been.
Lewis Morris enough said. Leaves break down in organic matter which becomes dirt. Which helps fill low spots in trail that were broken down from previous years use. Imba has this somewhere in proper trail care, I'll see if I can find it. One of the problems with blowing leaves is it creates water flow as the edges become dams and direct heavy water flow.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Imba had no stance last time I looked into it. That may have changed though. I remember reading stories for and against. It depended on the terrain, soil type, trail design, etc. My thought for doing it was keeping riders on the trail and not creating new lines, cut thru's, etc. A bonus was the trail would dry out quicker. Also thought as the leaves break down they just turn into soft organic matter which I just don't see how that would have any chance of staying on the trail.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The new trail work is awesome. They have some serious machinery out there bench cutting and tamping. Lots of flow and plenty of opportunities to catch a little air

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
All good Kirt we have opinions which is very informative to all. I looked also on IMBA had nothing and the debate I read must have been mtbr which is same 50/50. True soil terrain and elevation play a big role. Let's have a beer and debate

ktmrider

I rode here a few days ago just after it was blown (which was nice ) but it does seem like it removes a thin layer of loose dirt. I am no expert but it seems counter productive .A month ago i hired a soil engineer for land I'm developing in Colorado , I know he is a Mtber so i will email him and see what his thoughts are on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions