My unprofessional review of Cushcore

Installed Cush Core today on a set of wheels with Maxxis DHF and DHR II Double Down tires. The install was a breeze (even with my bad wrists). This was achieved using a few good pointers and a kick ass tire lever.

I haven’t used this bad boy in years. Gotta love Pedros!

View attachment 153401

For anyone who plans to install Cush Core inserts, here’s a few pointers to help make it easy.
  1. If using new tires, install them onto your rims (without cushcore or sealant) and set the bead. Inflate the tires to 30-40psi and let sit for a day or two. This will stretch the new tires, making install with the inserts much easier. Depending on your rim/tire connection, you may need to re-inflate a few times. Mine held air overnight.

2. Tire lever ... a long sturdy lever with a nice big handle will make this so much easier.

3. Soapy water in a spray bottle is probably the most important tool for this job

4. Put on some music and take your time. Each tire took me ~35 mins.
Watch the install video.
View attachment 153408
View attachment 153409

After you’ve gotten the valve on and the insert around the rim, spray lots of soapy water under the insert, all the way around the rim - on both sides.

View attachment 153405

LUBE it up real good because the tire will need to slide in there, down towards the rim channel.

View attachment 153420
Spray the inside of the tire too and install it onto the wheel. Line up your logo with the valve (that’s an OCD thing :)). Also make sure the thread direction is correct.

Now you’ll have to mount one side of the tire onto the rim. Pull it on with your hands a little at a time. Don’t worry about pushing it down into the channel yet, just get it onto the rim.

View attachment 153407

When it gets real tight and you can’t get any more tire onto the rim STOP. Now take your lever and push the tire that’s on the rim down into the rim channel. Work your way around slowly and really get it in there. Stuff that sucker deep into the channel then grab the tire with your hands and get more onto the rim. Again, when it gets real tight and you can’t get any more tire onto the rim with your hand -stop. Grab the lever and stuff the tire some more. Go all the way around pushing it into the channel.

View attachment 153411

Repeat this process until the last little bit of tire is almost on the rim then use the lever to (somewhat) easily pop the final bead onto the rim. If you need to apply a lot of pressure and really jack the thing onto the rim then you haven’t pushed enough of the tire down into the center channel. Repeat the process.

View attachment 153415

It’s exactly the same procedure on the other side.
  • Work it on with your hands
  • Use the lever to press the tire down into the center channel
  • Pull more tire onto the rim with your hands
  • Go around with the lever again
It took me three times around, stuffing the tire then using my hands, to get the whole thing on.

Lastly, don’t forget to remove the valve core and add sealant.

View attachment 153422

I hope this helps someone out there who’s looking to install the Cush Core. I can’t wait to try these wheels out at Mountain Creek this summer!

View attachment 153423
kudos for the pics and in depth review. In time you will get the install time down. I'm probably right around 30 mins to take off an installed tire w/cushcore and install a pair of new tires, no special tools, no soap or lube. Cush core does make a nice beefy plastic lever that is nice to use. That metal dh lever will mark up the rims pretty badly if you aren't careful.

I've had the Tannus installed for a couple weeks now. They do what they're advertised to do and I definitely ride better with them.
It's like combining the benefits of an underinflated tire with the benefits of an overinflated tire. I have not used Cushcore so I don't know how they compare.
One nice feature is you don't need an air compressor to inflate it. The pressure the inserts put on the sidewalls seat the bead very easily.
Same. I put tannus tubeless in 2 weeks ago. I timed my installation; 19 minutes from wheel removal to inflated. I can see how people get frustrated w/ installing inserts, especially if they're using one of the tougher brands to install. Only thing I noticed was that I didn't get the usual "snap" when the beads were set in place, but I chalked it up to the inserts. (Also got a coupon code if anyone wants it dm me.)

So after 8 months or so, I still love mine...About the only thing I changed was from the cushcore valve stem back to my stans ones as I find the cushcores leak alot. Outside of that, no issues. Im so used to taking them on and off now, its cake, no tire levers needed.

Word of warning. These thing are a mother f'er on Stan's Flow MK4's. No real channel and offset to boot.

Took longer to do two MK4's than the last 10 carbon rims I've done, combined.

Word of warning. These thing are a mother f'er on Stan's Flow MK4's. No real channel and offset to boot.

Took longer to do two MK4's than the last 10 carbon rims I've done, combined.

Maybe you need one of these! 😆

4ac0e94e-3ef8-47ac-8f06-83c90087343a-jpeg.153401

Maybe you need one of these! 😆

4ac0e94e-3ef8-47ac-8f06-83c90087343a-jpeg.153401
The thought crossed my mind. The last beed took two of us to pop the last few inches on. Ended up destroying the tape so I got to do it over again. Waited a day so at least the tire had stretched out a bit and went on easier.

Back
Top Bottom