My unprofessional review of Cushcore

I have several rides with Cushcore on the rear only. Seems to do it's job well. I added one to the front and that makes a world of difference in high speed cornering. Much more traction. The rockier, the more it seems to help. Set up on Minion 2.8's 15psi front, 17psi rear.

Time for a longer term update. I can say without a shadow of a doubt I wont be able to ride without cushcore again. My bike feels closer to the pivot mach 6 that i rented in seattle last year. Even though I only have 110 mm rear travel and 130 mm front travel. Even though the bike is slightly heavier, it feels like it rides lighter.

The extra confidence that the inserts give me while bombing rock gardens has increased my speed descending and climbing.

I am still playing with tire and suspension pressures so there may be more gains to be seen. Another plus is that I am seeing way less tire wear on the shoulders, so I should see a few hundred more use-able miles from a set of tires.

I don't see any downside to using inserts. I really expected my climbing to be affected but I have new PRs on almost every ride, could be fitness based, but the affects were felt right after installing.

The only thing I see with those is potentially less sidewall support. But rim protection should be very similar.

I fucking give up! I’m can’t get the damn DH tire on with the insert in place. I’ve watched all the videos, I tried all the tricks and the results are an un mounted tire and torn rim tape..... AGAIN! I don’t care if the damn inserts provides the ride feel equivalent of a “three way”... I’m done!🤬

.... carry on.

I fucking give up! I’m can’t get the damn DH tire on with the insert in place. I’ve watched all the videos, I tried all the tricks and the results are an un mounted tire and torn rim tape..... AGAIN! I don’t care if the damn inserts provides the ride feel equivalent of a “three way”... I’m done!🤬

.... carry on.
You can ditch the DH casing. But I don't think that's the problem. Get the first bead as deep into the center as possible all the way around. I had both of my tires done in 30 minutes using that method. Soapy water is your friend.

I've switched to a DH casing tire on the Megatower not because of pinch flats, but because of ripping the casing on rocks. I'm not sure how an insert can prevent that from happening.

I've switched to a DH casing tire on the Megatower not because of pinch flats, but because of ripping the casing on rocks. I'm not sure how an insert can prevent that from happening.
The sidewall is supported almost halfway to the tread. It doesn't deform as much when hitting rocks. I can say that since installing them I have less sidewall scratches than before.

.... carry on.

What rim? Does it have any channel at all? I might be lucky, but they've all been pretty easy so far.

I finally decided to get the cushcore set up for my bronson....all I can say is, my god what a difference.

The ride is substantially smoother, but what I didnt expect is how much more grip the bike now has in the turns.

Only downside (and im not sure if this is related, but possibly.) I put a brand new high roller on the rear, DD casing. Is it completely worn out in 1 month of riding. Sidewalls are worn thru and leaking stans, tread is totally wiped out, side knobs falling off. Cant say for sure that its related, but I have never worn out a maxxis anything that fast.

That said, I ordered a set of these for my 29er as well.

Not questioning everyone’s experience with inserts, but I’m thinking adjusting tire pressure and choosing tire casing construction is the same, no?

So, if I wear out a sidewall (prematurely) I step up casing construction. Then, heavier sidewall, I readjust pressure. I’ve got light sidewall trail tires for my play bike, that get higher pressure. Then swap to heavy DH casings for rough stuff. These are heavy tires but even at 235lbs I can run <20psi.

I finally decided to get the cushcore set up for my bronson....all I can say is, my god what a difference.

The ride is substantially smoother, but what I didnt expect is how much more grip the bike now has in the turns.

Only downside (and im not sure if this is related, but possibly.) I put a brand new high roller on the rear, DD casing. Is it completely worn out in 1 month of riding. Sidewalls are worn thru and leaking stans, tread is totally wiped out, side knobs falling off. Cant say for sure that its related, but I have never worn out a maxxis anything that fast.

That said, I ordered a set of these for my 29er as well.
I thought it was supposed to make the tread last longer?

FWIW, I put a Rekon on this summer and the tire is destroyed, chewed up knobs, ripped off knobs. Maybe Maxxis had a bad batch?

Is it completely worn out in 1 month of riding. Sidewalls are worn thru and leaking stans, tread is totally wiped out, side knobs falling off. Cant say for sure that its related, but I have never worn out a maxxis anything that fast.
I know you ride a ton more than I do, but my experience is the opposite for tire wear. Aggressor in the rear looks about as good as the day I put it on 160 miles on it so far. 99.5% wildcat miles.

I thought it was supposed to make the tread last longer?

FWIW, I put a Rekon on this summer and the tire is destroyed, chewed up knobs, ripped off knobs. Maybe Maxxis had a bad batch?
cant say for sure, it was only the rear tire...maybe these DD casings (double 120 TPI layers) are just not a tough as the 60 TPI version...DD casing is not the same as the DH casing which is also super thick....its a maxxterra compound, so its not even the softest. I just bought an aggressor, ill see how that hold up.

Not questioning everyone’s experience with inserts, but I’m thinking adjusting tire pressure and choosing tire casing construction is the same, no?
Maybe, but I have never been able to replicate what this feels like...and I have tried ALOT of tires.

cant say for sure, it was only the rear tire...maybe these DD casings (double 120 TPI layers) are just not a tough as the 60 TPI version...DD casing is not the same as the DH casing which is also super thick....its a maxxterra compound, so its not even the softest. I just bought an aggressor, ill see how that hold up.

Maybe, but I have never been able to replicate what this feels like...and I have tried ALOT of tires.

Haven't been able to test the longevity of my last three Pre-Cuschore Minions as I ripped the sidewalls within a few rides on each of them.

Back
Top Bottom