My unprofessional review of Cushcore

68nova200

Do you need cushcore? MAYBE. Do you want cushcore? YES. Does cushcore make you a better rider? My recent PR's say its possible.

I am a big guy that has made more than one set of wheels into a square. I upgraded to a wider wheelset a few weeks ago and realized that I didn't want to destroy another rim from my largeness. So I bought cushcore only because I had a giftcard. Then 2 days later before even getting cushcore in the mail, I tore a sidewall on an unassuming rock in a place I have never ridden. Did this confirm my purchase before I installed the inserts? Heck yeah. First off installation is nowhere near as hard as people online make it out to be, from unboxing to installed was less than 30 minutes for both wheels. My first ride on them was an easy 12 miles of double track with a smattering of four birds trail. Immediately I noticed a lack of felt handlebar harshness from small bumps. I ride a 2018 giant anthem 2 so its a middle of the line travel bike... My second ride was one of my normal loops around Wildcat. Line choice seemed less important. I was able to bomb through the eternal rock gardens with ease. I didn't feel the rim impacts from before. The bike was silent. My third ride I lowered the tire pressure farther than normal. Traction increased dramatically. I can push the front end into corners like never before. I also found myself using only the front brake in corners now, which dramatically increased my cornering and descending. I went from timid to aggressive in the corners overnight. Is this from cushcore or a false sense of confidence in new fancy parts? Time will tell I guess. I also feel an improvement in climbing through rock gardens, maybe this is from skill building, maybe its from cushcore. Bottom line is that cushcore is worth it for me. And it might be for you too. But I'm just a casual rider. Go ahead and hate on my unprofessional review of a great product, but I don't think I'll be able to ride without them from now on.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’ve been looking for some Pepis tire noodles. PTNs. They’re supposed to be a little lighter than the Cushcore which, as a kinda skinny someone primarily riding XC this is what I want. The reviews are pretty great letting the rider lower their PSI down to the mid teens.

The problem is they are nowhere to be found in the US. If anyone sees them for sale here, let me know!

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
When these first came on the market I thought it was a great idea but not for me. But the more I think about it I would probably benefit from one on the rear wheel. Then I saw the price tag.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
At the start of the covid-19 fiasco I pulled the trigger on a set of 27.5 Rimpact Pro inserts for the new (to me) DH bike I bought at he end of last season...... Well, Royal Mail kinda just sat on my package for a month+ before Rimpact (in the UK) ended up filing a claim and sending me a replacement. Low and behold the day after my replacement came... the original order showed up. Any’who... looking at the front tire in decent light, I’m gonna want to replace it before i mount the insert but the rear is going to get re-taped this weekend and I’ll report back on just how much or little it is a PIA to mount these on a wide rim with a full DH tire. I beyond can’t wait to make these things earn their keep. ?

Last edited:

68nova200

A few more rides in and I am trying lower than normal tire pressure. Traction is great for climbing and descending. The added weight of these is not obvious when the bike points up, PR's on several climbing segments are proof of that. Being able to carry more speed thru rock gardens is a huge plus.
I am also seeing less use of my suspension travel and may reduce the pressures to make the ride even smoother. I'll keep updating as I ride more, but I don't see going back to riding without them. I would say the feel of these is comparable to going tubeless.

Also new parts feed the urge to ride, which is a huge plus.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd love to try cushcore on the hardtail. I find it hard to find that perfect PSI between slamming the rim with too low of pressure, or loss of traction/suspension with too high of pressure.

But man, the price point really makes it hard for something to just play around with.

bergsnj

I'm using cushcore front and rear. Its a noticeable difference when smashing through rock gardens or dropping onto pointy, rocky landings. The only issue that I have is if you do get a flat it becomes a bit of a pain in the ass un-mount the tire to get the cushcore out so that you can get the tube in. Also you need to learn the technique of mounting tires with cushcore which can be a bit frustrating at first. But its pretty cool when you have a harsh impact and not ding the rim.

68nova200

I'd love to try cushcore on the hardtail. I find it hard to find that perfect PSI between slamming the rim with too low of pressure, or loss of traction/suspension with too high of pressure.

But man, the price point really makes it hard for something to just play around with.
I'm sure it would be great on a hard tail. My hardtail serves double duty, so I am sticking with tubes for easy tire changes

one piece crank

Curious, what tires you are running, and wouldn’t a slightly wider tire or tougher (DH) casing have provided more for less, with respect to added cushcore weight & cost?

Also not following the full-Sus comment, “lack of felt handlebar harshness”, but I ride rigid bikes.

68nova200

Curious, what tires you are running, and wouldn’t a slightly wider tire or tougher (DH) casing have provided more for less, with respect to added cushcore weight & cost?

Also not following the full-Sus comment, “lack of felt handlebar harshness”, but I ride rigid bikes.
I am frame limited to 2.4 tire in the rear. So wider wasn't an option. The harshness thing is a little hard to explain but, I don't feel the smaller bump "jitters" in my hands anymore. If that makes sense.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

I think this fills the void For exactly what he said, riding the pressure between ding’ing and too much pressure. Makes that perfect point a bigger range. I recently put on a DHR2 in the front and ding’ed it multiple times already.

word on the street is that it makes tire last longer too as the tires isn’t being slimmed against the rim as all.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm sure it would be great on a hard tail. My hardtail serves double duty, so I am sticking with tubes for easy tire changes

Tubes? What is this, 1995? :)

The Cushcore has the appeal of saving the rim. However big benefits (and especially over other products like Huck Norris) is:
-Lower air volume as there's a pressure ramp-up similar to tokens/spacers in an air shock. So while you run lower pressure, there's less air volume so as you hit a bump you have a ramp-up effect. Part of why you can go with lower air pressure. Not that you're hitting the rubber against the cushcore, but it doesn't have to hit it.
-Sidewall support.

JPark

I have heard that the double ply casings have a similar effect as tire inserts.
Does anyone have experience with both?

jackx

The harshness thing is a little hard to explain but, I don't feel the smaller bump "jitters" in my hands anymore. If that makes sense.
Wondering if it is possible that your fork pressure is a bit high, or that your fork rebound setting is too fast - leading to feeling like the fork is jack-hammering your arms.

dmc123

Do you need cushcore? MAYBE. Do you want cushcore? YES. Does cushcore make you a better rider? My recent PR's say its possible.

I am a big guy that has made more than one set of wheels into a square. I upgraded to a wider wheelset a few weeks ago and realized that I didn't want to destroy another rim from my largeness. So I bought cushcore only because I had a giftcard. Then 2 days later before even getting cushcore in the mail, I tore a sidewall on an unassuming rock in a place I have never ridden. Did this confirm my purchase before I installed the inserts? Heck yeah. First off installation is nowhere near as hard as people online make it out to be, from unboxing to installed was less than 30 minutes for both wheels. My first ride on them was an easy 12 miles of double track with a smattering of four birds trail. Immediately I noticed a lack of felt handlebar harshness from small bumps. I ride a 2018 giant anthem 2 so its a middle of the line travel bike... My second ride was one of my normal loops around Wildcat. Line choice seemed less important. I was able to bomb through the eternal rock gardens with ease. I didn't feel the rim impacts from before. The bike was silent. My third ride I lowered the tire pressure farther than normal. Traction increased dramatically. I can push the front end into corners like never before. I also found myself using only the front brake in corners now, which dramatically increased my cornering and descending. I went from timid to aggressive in the corners overnight. Is this from cushcore or a false sense of confidence in new fancy parts? Time will tell I guess. I also feel an improvement in climbing through rock gardens, maybe this is from skill building, maybe its from cushcore. Bottom line is that cushcore is worth it for me. And it might be for you too. But I'm just a casual rider. Go ahead and hate on my unprofessional review of a great product, but I don't think I'll be able to ride without them from now on.

Just wondering how low you are able to run your tire pressures?

Top Bottom