MTB for the Wife

jwave

I'm looking to get my wife a mountain bike. She's a casual road cyclist now, but has some experience riding off-road with me on trips, including Moab and Peru. I can see her holding her own at Allaire/Lewis Morris/Six Mile/Patriots Path.

A full-squish 26er seems like the right move, and this 2012 Cannondale (Lexi 3) seems to offer a lot of bike for the money.

Looking for any opinions that may help. Thanks.

It's also nicer than what I ride... ;) ... but I find that setting her up with nice cycling stuff encourages her to ride more. It's not a coincidence that the more amped she is to ride, but more support I get for riding and racing.

Would anybody steer me toward something different? :hmmm:

I'm looking to get my wife a mountain bike. She's a casual road cyclist now, but has some experience riding off-road with me on trips, including Moab and Peru. I can see her holding her own at Allaire/Lewis Morris/Six Mile/Patriots Path.

A full-squish 26er seems like the right move, and this 2012 Cannondale (Lexi 3) seems to offer a lot of bike for the money.

Looking for any opinions that may help. Thanks.

A trike? :D To be honest I wouldn't want my wife out there. It's something I do to get away from homelife. That and if she ever got seriously hurt I'd never forgive myself or hear the end of it. :cry:

I don't know what size bike your wife rides but Check this out You can potentially use the money you saved and get her some cool biking gear and accessories.

It's not a coincidence that the more amped she is to ride, the more support I get for riding and racing.
sounds like a married man right there. same reason I encourage my wife to do triathlons....the more she does her tri-stuff, the less crap I get for riding ;) it's all about the MBUs.

For the parks you listed, she can get away w/a 29er hardtail for the same amount of $. It will be lighter for sure.

We are seeing a surge of smaller folks jumping on 29ers of late.

This giant is worth a look in a small:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/xtc.29er.2/9031/48896/

+1 for what J said. I'm a smaller folk and love my 29er hardtail. The parks you mentioned don't need full squish, so you're overbuying and adding more weight where you don't need it. That of course presumes you aren't buying her full squish in order to grease the skids for your full squish carbon 29er!

Back
Top Bottom