Mother in law comming ...get kicked out of the house

antgold

during mid July- August my mother in low going to stay with us ,helping with newborn baby .
She will be accompanied by my wife's sister and her sun .

In a weak moment and probably because of some sleepless nights ,my wife suggested I've better get out of the house for long weekend and go whenever I want ....

I have to act fast , and don't want to ditch myself into Liong style epic riding in NJ during my free time ...

so having saying this , I need advise on good mountain biking spots in the continental US- bear in mind it going to be the peak of the summer (end July )
so looks like Moab /Arizona are out of the question , need to find cooler places ....

What about Denver(CO ) area ?

:hmmm:

during mid July- August my mother in low going to stay with us ,helping with newborn baby .
She will be accompanied by my wife's sister and her sun .

In a weak moment and probably because of some sleepless nights ,my wife suggested I've better get out of the house for long weekend and go whenever I want ....

I have to act fast , and don't want to ditch myself into Liong style epic riding in NJ during my free time ...

so having saying this , I need advise on good mountain biking spots in the continental US- bear in mind it going to be the peak of the summer (end July )
so looks like Moab /Arizona are out of the question , need to find cooler places ....

What about Denver(CO ) area ?

:hmmm:

Kingdom trails in northern VT...SWEET! And you can't go wrong with Colorado.

dude you better rethink taking your wife up on this, i know if my wife said that it would be a trick! she would spend the rest of my life reminding me i split out on her and my newborn child.

if not you have the best opportunity and it actually is a littile unfair;)

DANGER
Do not take the bait.
You will spend the next 23 years paying for your stupidity.
You are being tested.

Eh, it will be fine. Have your fun.

I did Skip Barber's racing school the week before my son's first birthday and ran a SCCA race at Limerock the weekend after...the wife got over it.

'Just be sure that when she looks a little burnt you step up and let her get away....

Last edited:
Yeah, being in a similar predicament in the past: my recommendation would be to take advantage of the opportunity but be within a reasonable travel time of home, in case she suddenly changes her mind.
Based on that, head out to PA and enjoy the trails around state college and teh surrounds :)

ryderx is probably right, but if you are getting out anyway...the cascade mountains east of eugene oregon is, in my opinion, the best riding there is.

DANGER
Do not take the bait.
You will spend the next 23 years paying for your stupidity.
You are being tested.

Take the bait. She is a reasonable woman and appreciates the time and effort you put into your family. She recognizes that giving you some time to pursue things you really enjoy will keep you happier and able to reinvest that happiness into your family. Of course you are also a reasonable man and know there's always a give and take and that the door swings both ways, so you better make sure, buster, that you allow her free time to run off with the girls for the weekend now and again and don't even think about giving her grief or you'll pay oh so dearly.

Honestly, it's a workable solution, tried and true. It's worked for me longer than I'll admit.;)

I've heard great things about Raystown in PA.... less travel time=more ride time.

first child?

just another point of view...

the first few nights after coming home from the hospital and staying up all night with my son while my wife was resting were the best few nights of my life.

he cried a lot, i didnt get any sleep, and i wouldnt pass that experience up for anything in the world.

when you hear people say stuff like "we were up all night with the baby crying" you think "damn that must be horrible". but let me tell ya man... its 100% different when its 'you'... the bonding that you experience is priceless.

my son is now 6months old and wakes up in the middle of the night on occassion just like most babies do .... as soon as i pick him up he calms down/passes out in my arms/goes back in the crib for the remainder of the night; he doesnt do this for my wife.... i think it has to do with those long nights that i took care of him as a newborn.

i have nothing else worthwhile to add to this thread and understand that my experience and "enjoyment" of being up all night with my son may be different than others. but i figure that its worth thinking about.... my advice is dont go too far

Last edited:
Thank guys for all the comments!
This is my 3rd girl , with the first , the first two month were not fun .from today’s perspective we did many mistakes ,
and with the 3rd ,knocking on wood , it goes smooth.
In the past month I’m working mainly from home, and this allows my wife start with her life.

For the biking – my MTB bike hanged in the garage for more than 6 weeks..with a hectic schedule the road bike is a saver ,
I getting almost a daily ride of 45 min – 1 hour on the road and this doing miracleswith my limited sleep time ,such rides don't make me too exhausted.
I have only one car so I’m limited on going to bike destination around ,doing the KT should wait ….
I’m thinking of riding part of the Colorado trail – but need to find buddies, cannot ride alone and eaten by mountain lion …

Last edited:
3 girls? wow, congrats and good luck man! (my wife is one of 3 girls)

i had a similar experience... my son did not sleep at night at all for the first two months ; i think his nights/days were backwards. somehow, after the holidays he all the sudden started sleeping through the night! it was a strange feeling.... getting a full nights sleep after 2 months of no sleep at all....

i hope our 2nd one is a little better at sleeping =)

well, since you've been around the block then you know how it is.... enjoy your ride! :cheers:

Thank guys for all the comments!
This is my 3rd girl , with the first , the first two month were not fun .from today’s perspective we did many mistakes ,
and with the 3rd ,knocking on wood , it goes smooth.
In the past month I’m working mainly from home, and this allows my wife start with her life.

For the biking – my MTB bike hanged in the garage for more than 6 weeks..with a hectic schedule the road bike is a saver ,
I getting almost a daily ride of 45 min – 1 hour on the road and this doing miracleswith my limited sleep time ,such rides don't make me too exhausted.
I have only one car so I’m limited on going to bike destination around ,doing the KT should wait ….
I’m thinking of riding part of the Colorado trail – but need to find buddies, cannot ride alone and eaten by mountain lion …

3 girls!! what a lucky man you're. congrats antgold..and have fun with the epics ride.:)

You have to decide for yourself if you'll be missing anything with the baby while you're gone. As far as the wife testing you.....BS. If she said to go consider it a deal. She will have a better time with her mom and sister if it's just the girls, that's probably why she said it. *If* my wife was testing me like that I would fail the test on purpose just because I wouldn't play those games.

I think you should go somewhere great and just ride, don't drive the car any more than you have to. Base yourself in some cool mountain town in CO and get to know the trails and locals. Fruita, Salida, Crested Butte, Durango, Steamboat Springs, or any of a hundred lesser known towns.

bruce b...... two kids, now 25 and 20 years old.

Back
Top Bottom