Mia Meets Bike

So the wait is finally over! I have a bike now, so I can do a bike check!

First, I want to thank @jdog for helping me out with this and building a sick rig!

IMG_6311.jpg

So this absolutely beautiful bike is an XS Pivot Mach 6 in Mint Relic, which is a sick blue/green color. I will also be adding RideWrap to it. It’s a mullet with 160 mm front travel and 158 mm rear travel. I’ve got a Fox 36 in the front and a Fox DHX2 coil in the rear with a 300 lb spring. I currently have the stock handlebars and stem on it, but I may be replacing that with my carbon Renthal bars and Renthal stem. I also have my favorite Odi Elite Pro grips and wolftooth dropper post lever on it. I also have a gold Chris King headset. I’m running Magura MT7 brakes, which I am super excited about. I’ve got a combination Shimano XT/XTR drivetrain and a wolftooth 32 tooth chainring. I’m using 165 mm Ignite cranks, which are my favorite, and wolftooth waveform pedals. The bike also has a Fox transfer 125 mm dropper post. Finally, I am running Stans Flow MK4s with Chris King hubs in black and gold. I’ll be running a MAXXIS Shorty in the front and Minion DHR II in the rear for now, but I tend to change tires based on race conditions and what I want.

So that's my bike! I can't wait to come home and ride it, but that's only 3 days away, so Yay!

First, I want to thank @jdog for helping me out with this and building a sick rig!

View attachment 233813

So this absolutely beautiful bike is an XS Pivot Mach 6 in Mint Relic, which is a sick blue/green color. I will also be adding RideWrap to it. It’s a mullet with 160 mm front travel and 158 mm rear travel. I’ve got a Fox 36 in the front and a Fox DHX2 coil in the rear with a 300 lb spring. I currently have the stock handlebars and stem on it, but I may be replacing that with my carbon Renthal bars and Renthal stem. I also have my favorite Odi Elite Pro grips and wolftooth dropper post lever on it. I also have a gold Chris King headset. I’m running Magura MT7 brakes, which I am super excited about. I’ve got a combination Shimano XT/XTR drivetrain and a wolftooth 32 tooth chainring. I’m using 165 mm Ignite cranks, which are my favorite, and wolftooth waveform pedals. The bike also has a Fox transfer 125 mm dropper post. Finally, I am running Stans Flow MK4s with Chris King hubs in black and gold. I’ll be running a MAXXIS Shorty in the front and Minion DHR II in the rear for now, but I tend to change tires based on race conditions and what I want.

So that's my bike! I can't wait to come home and ride it, but that's only 3 days away, so Yay!
That's really sweet!! This will be a fun bike.

View attachment 233813

Very happy to be a part of this process. Best of luck with this bike. I have owned one and if it had been a Mixed wheel setup like this, I would still have it.

View attachment 233813

Welcome to the very cool superboost club!

Time for another update that I promised for a while!

I have finally made a decision about pharmacy school. This was a very difficult decision for me, and I was surprised that I even got into this school because of some issues I had with my application and a professor at UConn not getting back to me with their letter of rec. and possibly missing their deadlines. Anyways the school I decided on is the
University of Michigan!

I'm super excited to be committed there, and it seems like it will be a good place to spend my next 4-5 years of school. I've also kind of made a decision that I will be going for my joint PharmD, PhD, which is also exciting. Even though the school is really big, the school of pharmacy class size is about 80-85 students, so it will have a very small school atmosphere, which I really like. In terms of degrees, I will be entering a graduate program/ school, so my first two years at UConn give me nothing except for my pre-requisites to get into a PharmD program. I will graduate with my PharmD and PhD without ever receiving a Bachelors degree or Masters degree. If I had stayed at UConn, I would have received a Bachelors degree after the next semester, but moving into a graduate program at a different school means I'm not an undergraduate anymore, so my credits don't go towards "finishing" my Bachelors degree. It's honestly really confusing but it's allowing me to fast track a path that usually takes 8-9 years in 6-7 years instead. I will be honest that it kind of scares me to think about not graduating from college until I'm 24-25, but it should all be worth it in the end. It's also a pretty difficult program, but I knew that when I chose this path. Doing this should allow me to work in a high level position in a research lab at a big Pharma company when I graduate.

It's going to be hard to be far away from home, but I'll be living on my own, which I think will help because I'll have somewhere to make my own. I definitely won't be able to come home as often either, but I'm hoping that I'll have visitors because the area is really nice and has more things to do than UConn. It's also super exciting because during my first semester, I have a big white coat ceremony where I receive my pharmacist white coat and I'll have family and friends there.

It might seem like I have this part of my life figured out, but there are a lot of unknowns still. I'm just looking forward to moving into this new phase in my life and seeing where it takes me! Go Blue!

Because there needs to be a picture in my post, this is the view of the sunset from the plane when I flew to Michigan:
IMG_5701.jpg

Its this poster on every dorm room wall that got you...wasnt it.... :)

1710526132493.png

but I'm hoping that I'll have visitors because the area is really nice and has more things to do than UConn.

of course, we'll plan on coming out in January with our bikes!

1710526117640.png

I kid.....congratulations! Please, see this thru...we need smart people like yourself doing research to offset the the dead weight like me and most of your friends :)

wow thats a big update and kudos to you for really thinking it through - congrats!

Having worked in the Pharma industry for the last 25 years (IT side) I can tell you that it's incredible what treatments all the R&D can bring to helping people like get cured from things like cancer. who knows what the next 4-5 years will bring and hopefully you can help develop the next cure for something no one else has one day.

Good luck and look forward to when we change this blog to Dr. Mia Meets Bike!

I am really on a roll with this whole blog thing now 😂 I just realized I never discussed my somewhat finalized race schedule for this season. I actually don’t have a lot of races this season because I will be leaving for Michigan in mid-August, but I still plan on hitting all my favorites and beating my times from last season (and hopefully win the races I do too). I plan on skipping races that I didn’t like last season, but I may go back just to get redemption. There are also a few on this list that are questionable because I may or may not do them depending on how I feel and what I have planned otherwise.

So the race schedule … (I'll also be racing in the pro women's category for all of these except for one of them)

May 5th: ESC Powder Ridge, CT Enduro (questionable)
May 24-26th: Mountain Creek USA Cycling Downhill Nationals (questionable, but I did this race last year and I really liked the whole downhill experience, so I’m definitely going to try and do it again. Not pro women though because I do not have a downhill bike and DH isn't really my best because I'm not great at drops and jumps)
June 9th: ESC Glen Park, PA Enduro
June 23rd: ESC Jiminy Peak, MA Enduro (questionable, this race went horribly for me last year, but it helped me grow a lot as a racer mentally, so it will take a lot of thinking to decide if I want to spend my time on this)
June 30th: ESC Killington, VT Enduro
July 14th: ESC Arrowhead, NH Enduro
July 21st: ESC Thunder Mountain, MA (might do the showdown too, which means I’ll race DH and enduro on the same day)
July 28th: ESC Burke, VT Enduro (my last race before I go to school)

Unfortunately, I can’t hit my Wilderness 101 goal for this season because it is the same weekend as the Burke enduro, which is probably my favorite race of the year, but I always have next year to conquer that! My race schedule is pretty light, but I’m really excited because I have a mountain bike vacation planned for the end of June into July too that I couldn’t make last year. This season is more about having fun before I leave for school than going for the series which should make racing a little less stressful.

I don’t have a good recent picture, so here are a few throwback pictures from when I raced EWS Burke:

361F8ZO5In4VLiMljkBFtFTRa6FjgToSnbU8Y9XcTHNAXEG_p7qU8hqEoX2TKUIomvgr8wTZjZmjalcNTtgjw9z06JRj7cGKFl425pCFDFqq3ONwVP2OXissf1PMegz4jvFFlsIMXNQWhcX97H5bIPM
nXELLEoa9sJldwbDqqoxlshEeVP31vps3naq5ATWXpnBGqpXFlcWrRFBE2-ZKhTG6A6yTKY1XPKFnRzcH3i-tkJ_F31UjHMu3_GhpqIz8C-xxKD5Oi_H9g_7yBoXF2w9FUh315RbGWKc1Rhd9nMXPN8

NTPl18vJQRBjsUKHHj8t25qk3078k0rkt7bY4k_6k-XYt-Zh2KLBMsRqz_InwPESt2SmZW0PVgZThodXcRkERpfrIX-clEI0-1H0xnc4jXp1uD-RqV0YIJglhDsBQM1qH7x6fLD-6YtsIg1hAZ6Sjo4

Back
Top Bottom