michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Mike,
It's looking like next Sunday @8:30 again
This time at the marina
I hope to get out this week to see what looks like the best bang for the day
I hear the marina to the west picnic area is open
So maybe we try the red trail from the east end to the marina?

Sounds good Mick,
I may have to catch up again because of Hockey...
From what I've heard the worst sections are:
1) The the Pines trail along Hughes drive in Van Ness (I guess it's Yellow?)
2) The Red trail behind the tennis courts.
There is supposed to be some big stuff down in those areas.

TAS

Yup... Sunday 11/18....8:30 at the Marina
Mick, I have friday off and can do a quick recon of Red-east end if you cannot get out there. Maybe the section of blue we didn't get to as well.
Let me know.

Tom

Mick714

JORBA.ORG
I did a recon on the red trail today I walked from the entry point off of the paved path just up from the steel bridge all the way to the finish line tower in the clearing near the marina The tree damage is significant but it was as if god said these guys have done enough work on the trail lately. We have very few trees across the trail in that section. Maybe 10 trees down on the trail and most in the 12-16" range. There is one tree right behind the new tennis center that will take some serious work It has about 30 ft of its trunk (at least 24" dia.) in the trail and there isn't any good way to re-route the trail in that area. The tree is hung up on both ends :-(

njmark

Professional Cyclist
Will try to make it for the 18th, rode there once, got lost and still had a good time.

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
Post Sandy TM #3 Thanks

Another great turnout to get the Mercer Trail System back :)
Sincere Thanks To:
Mick Tormey
Tom Swords
Chuck Prettyman
Mike Sullivan
Jim Wenning
George Nickles
Dave Fox
Jeff Conklin
Yuri Soang
Alastair MacLennan
Rich Sky

The Red trail is now open end to end
The Van Nest Tract is almost clear with just a little hike a bike.
Just a few more big guys to cut out of the way!
We have logged 173 volunteer hours this month! No doubt a record for Mercer!
I'd Say Mercer is about 90% clear or better now.
Get out and Ride! :getsome:
Yes I'm sore but smiling...THANK YOU!!!

TAS

Yo Mike, Remember the "low spot" we talked about on blue ( rowing center side) where we did the re routes around the huge uprooted trees? GONE as in filled in :D Took care of that on Sat. The gravel in that uprooted tree root was perfect fill.

FYI I also began scoping out reroutes for the "missing trail" :cry: parallel to blue in that same section and it looks doable.

TAS

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
Yo Mike, Remember the "low spot" we talked about on blue ( rowing center side) where we did the re routes around the huge uprooted trees? GONE as in filled in :D Took care of that on Sat. The gravel in that uprooted tree root was perfect fill.

FYI I also began scoping out reroutes for the "missing trail" :cry: parallel to blue in that same section and it looks doable.

TAS

Sounds good Tom. You da man! :)

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
It's that time again...

It's December's trail day this Saturday 12/15/12
Time to start opening the alternate trails...
The blue trail from the second stream crossing to the rowing center looked like quite a challenge but a trail that is enjoyed
by many of us. I doubt we will be able to put it back to where it was but I'm sure we can fix it...Maybe even make it better! :getsome:
If we get enough people we can also split up and reopen the trail that goes left after the two bridge crossing.
We'll be meeting at the Rowing Center at the end of South Post road in West Windsor.
Here:

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&so....269375,-74.639568&spn=0.031304,0.062742&z=14

See ya there!

Last edited:

TeamMuddySprocket

It's December's trail day this Saturday 12/15/12
Time to start opening the alternate trails...
The blue trail from the second stream crossing to the rowing center looked like quite a challenge but a trail that is enjoyed
by many of us. I doubt we will be able to put it back to where it was but I'm sure we can fix it...Maybe even make it better! :getsome:
If we get enough people we can also split up and reopen the trail that goes left after the two bridge crossing.
See ya there!

I will try to make it, hopefullly the doctor clears me to do stoopid things today

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
Friday bump for TM tomorrow :)
The meeting place has also been changed to the Rowing center.

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
We had a great crew today and we reopened one of my favorite trails in the northern section of the park. One of the alternate Blue trails....AKA "SOB" (Son of Blue) Which was cleverly coined at today's session :D
Some of it was rerouted but we were able to reopen most of the old trail. It looks great! I can't wait to ride it now :)

It's marked on the map below by the red arrow

Ride it! :getsome:

Attachments

• Mercer trail opening.jpg
    Mercer trail opening.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 273

TAS

Hey Guys, Wife & I walked the route (SOB) from the rowing center and down to the double bridge and back yesterday. Fresh tracks (bike and bootprint) were already on it. Met two sets of hikers that were happy it was re-opened.
On the way back watched a pack of 5 guys roll on thru...the section we last did by the bridge... they were smiling!

Everybody seems pleased with the results :D

Great job guys!

TAS

TAS

Holy Grail trail is OPEN. Still needs some grading and dirt work but it is passable.
Tom

TAS

Got out on Saturday with Mick and Chuck and cleaned up some of Sandy's last insults. :getsome:

The Holy Grail Trail reroute around the "BIG" tree has been completed and re-graded. We removed the off camber grade and rounded the turn into the ditch with a small berm. ;)

We cleared the last major tree blockage on blue where it crosses the ditch near the lake plus a short reroute to the "Middle Trail". Provides an alternate "Blue" route when the trail by the lake is too muddy. (Like Now)

AND we also cleared that ugly :eek:hanging tree next to the double bridges on blue.:D

TAS

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions