Managing Cycling Clothes

How do you manage your cycling gear?

• Wash After Every Ride

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • Buy multiple kits so I always look good and fresh

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • If its not soaked and stinkin', I'm wearin'

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Cycling gear, what's that? I ride naked.

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

ekuhn

This topic has been floating around my head for a while, mostly in July when I've competed in the 31 for 31, but has started again with BIYF. How do you manage your cycling clothes? Wash it all after every ride? Screw it - if it doesn't smell - its still good to go, like gym shorts? Buy enough bibs and jersey's to last all week +? I feel like everyday I do a small laundry load of bicycle clothes when I'm riding. My winter gear, ie. long sleeve(s), jackets, thermal gear is minimal.

I have two pairs of bibs that are the most comfortable. Those tend to get used most repeatedly, while short sleeve jerseys get rotated. Winter time, my long sleeves are minimal, so multiple use. Gore jacket gets worn regardless of if its been washed.

Added a poll just cause who doesn't love a poll?

Jerseys almost always one and done, bibs/liners maybe 2 or 3 wears before a wash? I have multiple pairs so they never get used 2 straight days.

They're gonna smell just about immediately after riding anyway, as long as they're not heinously smelly...it's whatever.

I have multiple but my basic rule of thumb is that... other than gloves & knee pads.... anything that touches the skin gets tossed in the laundry after a ride.
If it does not touch the skin, fair game

Last edited:
multiples - so i only need to do laundry 1x per month :D
(ha, beat @shrpshtr325 to it.)

Since I have a teenager that works-out, there is always plenty of sweaty stuff -
laundry every 3 days when actually riding. I only have 1 long sleeve top - when it is colder (under 40),
that jersey (or that+tech shirt) gets ditched for something warmer and a real jacket.

it is amazing how sweaty the clothes are after a trainer session - can't wear them again. 🤢

i have enough gear that i wash it after every wear, but thats roughly 1/week. jackets/gloves get done when they start to get bad, for gloves this usually means into the weekly wash, jackets (i dont wear them often) can be much longer between washings.

i would never recommend wearing bibs more than once between washings, sounds like a good recipe for saddle sores.

I wear my wool baselayer (top) at least 2-3 times before i wash it. If you looked at my rides you would quickly come to the conclusion that i dont sweat this time of year, lol.

Bibs(i have three rotating)... im going to get shit for this. I wash my bibs about once a month and i think i get out for rides very often. BUT the compression shorts i wear under those bibs are one and done.

I wear my wool baselayer (top) at least 2-3 times before i wash it. If you looked at my rides you would quickly come to the conclusion that i dont sweat this time of year, lol.

Bibs(i have three rotating)... im going to get shit for this. I wash my bibs about once a month and i think i get out for rides very often. BUT the compression shorts i wear under those bibs are one and done.

you wear anything under your bibs? :oops::oops::oops:

Jackets and shells when they're dirty. Bibs are usually 2 rides. We have a fan in the locker room at the shop so they get dried out during the day.

Anything with a chamois is one and done.
Jerseys can get multiple uses depending on sweat factor and company
Jackets/outerwear always get multiple runs- turned inside out after rides and hung up
Outer shorts/pants - until there's mud or blood on them
Gloves go until they smell like a shoe

wash anything that touches your chest/bottom immediately.

in the fall/winter, things like leg warmers/arm warmers can go a couple of days. this is not up for debate.

If it’s wet from sweat I dry it and wear it again.
If it’s dirty from mud it gets the scrub and the padded underwear always go in the bin.

just realized this is a kind of Limerick.

*Mrs. G and I both ride, so we have a dedicated hamper/basket for dirty cycling kit.
*I have a pretty comprehensive collection of kit, so I can usually do a few rides before things need to be washed, especially in warm months.
*Nothing gets used more for more than one ride, apart from occasionally re-wearing wool arm/knee warmers or a wool cap. Almost all of my socks are wool, but I don't tend to reuse them, in the interest of extending their life span.
*Cycling kit gets washed with Hex Free & Clear, with a scoop of Oxy Clean Free & Clear added. Cool water wash, regular cycle. Warm or hot water will increase wear on your kit.
*We have a full basement with several clothes lines, so everything air dries. The dryer also accelerates wear on your expensive riding kit, so I only put stuff in there when I need it right now, and it's not dry yet.

Good topic.

This guy is 1 pair per weekend?
1610115272329.png

I have a lot of kits. I have a separate wardrobe in my basement for all my gear. I always wash them on a gentle cycle and then hang them up to dry on a laundry rack that is ONLY for my gear. (My wife occasionally tries to use it for other things, but I got her one of her own because ... dammit, it's for riding gear!) But I NEVER ride in anything dirty. In fact, I have to change as soon as I'm done riding because otherwise I feel sick later. When I've done bikepacking rides, I either carry multiple changes of clothes and/or I find a way to clean my gear every night. The only thing I don't wash completely is my (favorite) Gore Shakedry jacket, which unfortunately, died last night from overuse. (Luckily, I have a second one ready to go.) That I just wipe down with a wet cloth and then ... well, I shake it dry.

fullwardrobe.jpg

Kits all hung up in the wardrobe, shoes on the door, and socks, baselayers, winter-specific gear, etc. in the bins on the right.

jacket.jpg

RIP, shakedry jacket ...

Every piece, every time, no exceptions. I sweat HARD. In winter i'll wear a base, fleece then wind shell and even the shell will be wet from sweat at the end.

For stuff that is difficult to wash (shoes, helmet, waist pack) or just neets a little tlc, i buy Clear Gear by the gallon and hose it down. I can't recommend this stuff highly enough. Some of you may even be familiar with it from other sports.

cg_covideffectiveness_home[1].png

Back
Top Bottom