major lockup = major accident for me!

skyrokz

i was at yorktown cycles today and had an overhaul of my bike, they rebuilt my fork, they replaced my rear break and bled it, they took out my bb/crankset and refitted everything and tightened up my rear hub as it was a little loose, so while at the shop i saw a nice 2010 specialized hardrock in my wifes size so i scooped it up for her with hopes of riding together, after getting back home we went to our local park for a pavement ride, during the ride we were cruising and i stood up to hammer down and jump over a puddle but when i stood up and leaned hard into the cranks the arms locked up and instantly broke free as if the chain fell off leaving me flying over the handle bars really hard with all the momentum i had generated from the push which left my elbow and knees looking like a raw piece of meat. When i picked up the bike the chain was perfectly on, i didn't switch gears even once since i took the bike from the shop because the park is flat and had no need for switching gears, after the accident it seems like the rear deraillour is skipping on different gears, maybe it's an adjustment thing but i have had this happen a few times before while going up hill but never paid too much attention since uphill i just stopped and walked the bike, but in this case i'm hurting badly, when landed on my side i slammed the concrete so hard i couldn't take a full breath for nearly a minute, my wife was riding behind me and said that the chain looked like it poped up and the bike just stopped/locked up as if i hit a wall, anyone have any idea what this could be?
aside from the fall today was a great success, the fork is working like brand new and my wife loves her bike!

Sounds like the same problem I had with my bike earlier this year - the cranks would freeze suddenly. Finally found the problem the second or third time it happened - the rear D was being forced into the wheel and snag the spokes then release. Never found what the cause was. I bent the rear D and it exploded one day. Don't let this go any further without a bike shop's inspection. My problem only happened a few times but it was enough ....

Last edited:
What is the Condition of your Drive train. Is the Cassette or Chain worn? Possibly the chainrings? Stiff Link in the Chain? Broken or sticky Free hub?

Unless it was a stick, derailleur or piece of debris that jammed the free hub I couldn't think of anything else that would make it jump like that.

The sheldon brown stuff is all way accurate but unless he is riding an ancient clunker I'm not so sure that is the cause.

Don't play it off as fluke. It's something. I've had plenty of shimnao free hub body's that broke and continued to work long before total failure set it

good luck with your gremlin!

What is the Condition of your Drive train. Is the Cassette or Chain worn? Possibly the chainrings? Stiff Link in the Chain? Broken or sticky Free hub?

Unless it was a stick, derailleur or piece of debris that jammed the free hub I couldn't think of anything else that would make it jump like that.

The sheldon brown stuff is all way accurate but unless he is riding an ancient clunker I'm not so sure that is the cause.

Don't play it off as fluke. It's something. I've had plenty of shimnao free hub body's that broke and continued to work long before total failure set it

good luck with your gremlin!

the bike is a 2010 specialized stumpjumper fsr comp 29er which i bought about a month and a half, it has maybe 200 -250 miles on it max, if i can wear parts in 200 miles i think i will switch to a different sport, the day of the accident i just spent 4 hours at the shop with the mechanic re-setting the bb, he took the whole hub assembly apart and re-tightened everything, the kid is younger than me but i don't want to judge, certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed but for the most part he looked like he knew how to hold a wrench so who am i to argue. something locked up badly and this wasn't the first time, usually it happened on up-hills when i would stand up and try to push thru, and after jumping off i would notice the chain is still perfectly on and the bike is totally fine which was weird.

If it happened before you went to the shop, and again after, I'd say nothing they did introduced it. I have no reasonable guess as to what's going on, but I think you need to bring it back to the shop and tell them it needs to be fixed. You should have brought it back there the first time it happened.

chain suck and granny common. Maybe too much cross shifting which would cause this. I say ditch the gears and go with one problem solved...

hmm, i don't know what chain suck is, but just to clarify things, i don't think that the shop is at fault here, i wasn't in the granny gear, i was in the middle ring and about the 2nd or 3rd smallest cog in rear, the bike just left the shop and i was riding flat paved paths with no ups or downs and didn't shift the whole ride, the bike locked up when i stood up, really leaned into it and applied some torque, i might have shit for endurance and might be slow as hell but after 11 years working the construction scene and always on my legs i can put out some torque especially weighing in @230lbs. I dunno, i will take it in to a different specialized dealer (any takers?) and have it checked out and hopefully have the issue resolved.

Chain suck is when the chain gets stuck on the ring in front and it carries up around like into the pedals again, usually stopping you, and usually once you release tension it falls back to where it should.

Had this problem on my bike this week, chain too new, ring too old, so the spacing is a bit off so it gets stuck on the ring.

What gear combo are you in when this happens? What brand is the hub?

i nearly never use the granny ring and i have a bash guard so i'm always in the middle ring up front and it usually happens in the 3 smaller cogs, the bike is only about a month and a half old, the hub is a Custom Shimano M525 SL, alloy QR, 32h. It might be that chain suck thingy,

would removing a section of the chain help at all or going 1x9?

i just don't want this to happen in a worse case scenario...

If it were chain suck you would know it. The chain would be jammed between the granny and the chainstay.

Sounds like a faulty free hub body to me. I have had nothing but bad experiences with shimano free hub bodys.

my friends bike is having this problem now, but only after a local bike shop installed a new chain. The chain is definetly too long and we have already been back 2 times since. Did they install a new chain?

jorge the cassette probably needs to be changed as well. Not sure the condition of the original chain but your buddy's chain is probably skipping not getting jammed.

if your in the randolph area i will take a look at it for you whenever you want. this is the kind stuff i like fixing most!

Back
Top Bottom