Mahlon's Best Kept Secret?

Secret Trails

Correct me if I am wrong but I think Stratocaster was the person behind the three trails being discussed, no? All are a lot of fun, and I agree still need some work to make sustainable.

With the wall reroute coming along it wont belong until MD is mostly single track again (like it was years ago)!

and where does the other end of yb come out?, which Tim marked yb intersection 2.

Intersects the yellow trail not-to-far from the base of the wall. If you just follow the yellow trail from the bridge Sean spoke of, you come across both of them (I think). If you get to the wall, you've gone too far :)

Last edited:
Cool....I ride and know just about every rock and root on the north loop to the white/yellow intersection where i u-turn and kick it back...never noticed the yb...look forward to it, thanks!

Just wondering if this is the trail going clockwise from Headly overlook off of the yellow that brings you down to the bridge pond? The one that we got in trouble for for scraping off 1000 year moss off the rocks by enviromentalists? If so, I love that trail. I only had one chance to ride it and it was only about a month old.

The other section that I love at Mahlon in the Bomb that parallels Jefferson High School. The climb out can tire you a bit, but that line is sick!

I think the first answer is yes based on the moss-rock comment.

I think the second trail is Cascade. Did it end up at the bottom going along a stream?

Correct me if I am wrong but I think Stratocaster was the person behind the three trails being discussed, no? All are a lot of fun, and I agree still need some work to make sustainable.

With the wall reroute coming along it wont belong until MD is mostly single track again (like it was years ago)!

You might be right, Bob :hmmm:. However, no one has officially come forward to take the credit (heat?), so I think Sean was trying to respect that ;).

As a side note, I hear that Stratocaster is doing a great job over at Stephens.

Just wondering if this is the trail going clockwise from Headly overlook off of the yellow that brings you down to the bridge pond? The one that we got in trouble for for scraping off 1000 year moss off the rocks by enviromentalists? If so, I love that trail. I only had one chance to ride it and it was only about a month old.

The other section that I love at Mahlon in the Bomb that parallels Jefferson High School. The climb out can tire you a bit, but that line is sick!

I think the first answer is yes based on the moss-rock comment.

I think the second trail is Cascade. Did it end up at the bottom going along a stream?

Yes and Yes, Norm.

Steve, you're right. I rode it again this AM an there are more parts than I thought that need raking; I guess I was having too much fun yesterday to notice.

I slapped the lap button on my 605 at the beginning and end. Much to my surprise Stone Gate is only 1.22 miles long. Seems longer for some reason. :hmmm:

Anyway, I walked/rode down the reroute too (as flagged). Attached is a kmz file of the ride that shows the reroute and the approach to Stone Gate via the yellow trail.

Attachments

• stone_gate_and_reroute.kmz
    70 KB · Views: 114

the environmentalists that rerouted that were mountain bikers, and it was done for pretty good reasons. that section would have been muddy untill the upper section of moss had completely eroded. no one got in trouble for it. it was done in the interest of making the trail more sustainable, more enjoyable and more acceptable to other trail user groups and park officials.

Where does the Beaver Brook trail end up it goes off of the map that I have? I also agree that yellow black trail is the best trail at Mahlon.

the beaverbrook trail ends at the intersection of taylor rd and berkshire valley rd. it get's really technical with super steep ups and downs. there are signs along it's length that warn that it was "designed for foot traffic only", which is really just an excuse for unsustainable fall line pitches. by wma regulations though, it is open to mtb use on sundays during hunting season, any day out of hunting season, and any day during hunting season for hunting purposes only(ie: accessing a tree stand). i would not recommend it to just anyone though. it's a living hell to some people. it's pretty much all rideable for the right person, but i've never ridden the whole trail without walking a few sections.

there are loops possible to bring you back into mahlon, all of which involve big hills.

I'll have to check it out I like the technical terrain the only reason I haven't is the foot traffic only signs. Is it more technical then the green (i think its green) trail across from cascade?

I'll have to check it out I like the technical terrain the only reason I haven't is the foot traffic only signs. Is it more technical then the green (i think its green) trail across from cascade?

The green trail is serious (for me anyway). I starts off very nice from the end of Cascade...then, well, then it gets interesting.

I "rode" through there last winter. I could tell that somebody rode (some snow) the really technical section (I didn't). Maybe Mr. Grady can demonstrate on his 6/8 ride...I'd love to watch somebody clean some of that stuff. Before I try it I think I want shin/knee guards on me and flat pedals on my bike...

Back
Top Bottom