Mahlon ... Power Lines question .

Stocky

Fogerson or Shagz , I'm guessing one of you guys can answer this .
We've been doing a lot of exploring at Mahlon lately. We decided to give the Power Lines a try today instead of just cruising down the rail bed back to the lot .
We came to what was almost an impossible "feature" to get around . That would be the HUGE Beaver damn . Trail runs right up to it and then it's probably at least 5ft deep of water to your right then mud and debris to your left making up the damn .Easily 20ft across .We very and I repeat very gingerly used our bikes to balance us and stepped cautiously across the damn to the other side . The other side then yields some killer tight single track back to the road.
Is there any other way around this damn ?

If not, I vote for a bridge ...... I guess it's a whole other can of worms because it's the WMA and there are probably very strict rules that must be followed etc regarding the use of the land .

Stocky

Hey Bill thanks , but it looks like if I do what you're suggesting it bypasses all of the great single track that you finish up on if you dare to cross the damn. : )

It looks like you would be riding on the West side of the lake and not the south East side ... is that correct ?

bill-now

Doomed
Yea, you'll end up west of the lake. It's mostly double track but your reward is the single track from the end of Pascoe road down to the parking lot.

Stocky

Ok, we'll give it a shot Sunday morning.

It was freakin comical watching us cross the damn , wish someone was taping it .

thanks again .

anrothar

entirely thrilled
The route suggested above will take you to the same singletrack. That beaver dam is sketchy. Used to be much lower. Be careful there in the summer. Beaver dams make great homes for snakes.

Stocky

Sean , thanks for the heads up on the snakes . We logged a nice 13 miles on the North side yesterday and then attempted to try the Power Lines again . We went to far out of bound we ended up next to Rt15 near the Quarry . I think we were at the second Sparta exit off Rt15 .
Ultimately we backtracked and found our way to ... once again the Beaver Damn .
Loads of trails back there , found a really cool old stone house . Also came across the George Abbate memorial . I believe I saw your name on the sign in the lower right hand corner . Turns out I know his wife Sue who used to be a regular customer at Dover Photo Supply when I worked there all through the 90's . I didn't know George only Sue via the shop . Great memorial !

We ended up riding down Pascoe Rd , looked for , but didn't see any spot to turn into the woods as we headed down Pascoe .

here's some shots from yesterday .

Attachments

• photo(15).JPG
    photo(15).JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 267
  • photo(6).JPG
    photo(6).JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 252
  • photo(7).JPG
    photo(7).JPG
    46 KB · Views: 258
  • photo(10).JPG
    photo(10).JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 275
  • photo(12).JPG
    photo(12).JPG
    39 KB · Views: 254

mntal

I think instead of coming down Pascoe, if you would have gone north from the George Abate memorial, goes downhill a bit down some doubletrack, there is an entrance to some great single track to your right that will take you back to the weldon brook parking lot - single track is probably less than an 1/8th of a mile from the Abate memorial - haven't been up there in a while, someone else might be able to add some more detail.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions