Mahlon Dickerson Reservation Conditions

I attempted riding in from blue heron. The trails into the park are a mess. Lots of big trees down. I did a quick loop up the highest point climb and that appeared better than the trails in from blue heron. Anybody try riding cascade or other side of Weldon? I plan to make another attempt riding this weekend.

I attempted riding in from blue heron. The trails into the park are a mess. Lots of big trees down. I did a quick loop up the highest point climb and that appeared better than the trails in from blue heron. Anybody try riding cascade or other side of Weldon? I plan to make another attempt riding this weekend.

Cascade has about 5 or 6 big trees down near the bottom.

Mahlon is still officially closed. Also be aware of hunters in the WMA from BH.

You could go straight to the top:
David Helmer, Executive Director 973-326-7617.

Other Options:
Ed Vath, Director of Park Maintenance 973-326-7623
Mahlon Dickerson Reservation 973-697-3140
Russ Nee, Trails Foreman 973-326-7600

Maybe some new or additional voices might help.

Steve

I've noticed in some past storms that the main trails appeared to be cleared with chainsaws. Is this the park officials or users? In situations like this (at least from the sound of it), hand tools just don't cut it. If find "chain" saws - a chainsaw chain with handles - to be the best reasonably portable tool and they're limited to average size trees. Average size big trees, but you're not going to cut through something truly large. You wind up with a bunch of re-routes that are bad for trail flow and actually bad for the forest as more land is compacted.

Of course, if the park isn't open, you can't do anything! Please post something if there's any chance for a weekend morning trail cleaning group.

The park guys will "eventually" get through on their gators and clear the trails, but MDR does not seem to be a high priority target for the MCPS. Even with organized volunteer maintenance, personal power tools are not allowed.

Not really frowned upon, sort of just ignored.

I rode through the area on the road bike just now and although I did see some progress in removing downed trees on the rail trail, there are still many trees down across Cascade. I did see a handful of hunters in the areas with shotguns... :getsome:

Rode Mahlon today with Utah Joe and Alaska Sean. The place is an absolute mess. The Park is still officially closed, all parking lots are gated. A simple viable loop would be from Saffins Pond, out and back to Stone Gate. Otherwise, be prepared to get off your bike for many downed trees.

The pine swamp trail was ok.

Anrothars Alley has at least 4 big trees down

Cascade is a major mess. Upper Cascade is ok, the lower part and the uphill stretch near the HS has many many trees down, no easy way around yet.

Trees down on many major trails which are Gator accessible.

The Wall is in good shape, but there are a bunch of truest down below the wall on the way to Stone Gate

Stone gate is in very good shape

The rail trail south from Saffins Pond is clear. North has at least five trees down still.

I rode last saturday. The closed signs are still up. Everything is rideable except purple, that will be a disaster for awhile. I don't know why anything else is closed

I rode last saturday. The closed signs are still up. Everything is rideable except purple, that will be a disaster for awhile. I don't know why anything else is closed

I think the main reason is that since the trails are blocked by downed trees, MCPC won't be able to drive in and rescue anyone that gets hurt.

What trails are still blocked? I know the bottom of cascade has a biggie. Any other trails still a mess?

as of yesterday the 9ish mile loop, we had trees down on every trail possible. the rail trail across road from saffin pond lot alone had about 6 downed trees. its all possible to walk around but just plan for a lot of trees down everywhere in simple.
our route roughly was rail trail to orange to white to highlands to yellow past overlook to yellow all the way on outside loop to back side of dam to lot my guess maybe 20 trees down.

Last edited:
Got out for some recon, Cascade is looking good. Some beavers were out in full force thank yous. I didnt make it all the way up but its clear from the river up to the first junction.

The northern section of rail trail is now clear along with the outer wma loop.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions