Looking for kids size road bike.

MST.ESQ

9yr old wants a drop bar road bike; wife approved a $300 budget; no such bike exists at that price; wife forbid me from taking parts off my Lemond (smart move on her part since we both know I would be looking for a replacement right away).

The 24" kids bikes (Scott, Felt) are too small already (reach too short, cranks borderline clown-like), but most xs size bikes start at 29" standover. He is 55" tall and I believe his standover is still in the 25" area. The Trek Lexa seems to fit the bill (47cm frame has 69.0cm standover and is gender neutral) but nowhere near my budget even at closeout rates. The bikesdirect.com bikes are even taller with the 43cm frame having an "advertised" 70cm standover.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

If smaller road bikes had a 29 inch I would be riding 650 wheels. A 50 or below frame is gonna come in with a standover in he 27 inch range. My Trek Pilot is a 50 and has a standover of 27.2 But I think you'll be looking for a used roadie with 650 wheels. Hard to find but priced to sell

Fuji Ace 650 new is right around 500 if you can find a used on or "new old stock" that might work. Go to Fuji website to check the specs.

Last edited:
I would appreciate any suggestions.

I have a Fuji 650c for my kids. One has outgrown it but I have another who will begin racing it next year.

My suggestion...ask again in a couple years.

EmilyraceMedium.jpg

I do like the top-bar shifters on the Fuji. I hear that some kids have difficulty with the flightgear brifters.

I will continue my search in the spring as it looks like I have missed the boat on picking up an xs on clearance at this point. Also, the bikesdirect site provides no confidence for ordering sight unseen when it comes to sizing. There are a couple of shops that still have 650 wheel bikes from last year's stock (and an older 2010) but they want full price for them (which is kind of funny since I just got a screaming deal from one of my usual shops on a special order kids bike for my younger son...).

Who knows, another growth spurt and he will fit comfortably on a full size 700c 50cm bike in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom