looking for distance riders

Lost_Again

okay so i am a first time poster here, but long time reader/spier. haha. anyway. so here is my plee:

i signed myself up for two 50 milers this year the VT50 and the Circumberk 50 miler. the VT50 is on the 29th os sep and the circumberk 50 is on the 27th of oct.

here are some YouTubes of the VT50, and the Circ is very similar. the music is horrible but you will get the idea of the style of trails.

http://youtu.be/PMK-J411_24

not too close but yet not too far away either. and while i am no slacker by any means i need to get in a few long rides with any of you who are doing big rides. and here is where i am at so far on my training:

I ride every weekend. both days. and have been for three months so far. and try to get in a fast ride in the week if time allows. This is where it gets funny. i ride the same places for better or worse all the time, mainly because i love to try and beet my last recorded times but also because i love the terrane and think it is as close to the trails on the race that i can tolerate. so the the places i go to;

Saturday = stevens and deer. so far i can do 25 with out too much effort and with take on the 30 mile challenge if i feel good. and my bike right now is a bit over kill for the race (specialized xc comp w/ wide 31inch dh bars, 1(32)x10 sram x9, full mrp g2 bash and roller plate) and not at all for long distance rides in the 30s 40s and 50s but is build for all things Allamuchy. ha

sunday = the colombia trail. i built a rail-trail gravel 1(36)x9 bull horn road bike to hammer as fast as i can 35 miles with no stops to get used to the gravel road aspect of the race.

mid week = nassau trails. bang out 15 miles of mixed road and single track as as fast as possible.

so here is where i try to ask or find anyone who is already doing long rides in the 40s or 50s, ON trail. Or anyone else that is training for a long distance race already that wants someone else to put in the miles with. i am quite open take some suggestions as to a place(s) where i can get close to that style of trail ridding.

and i have to stop you if you are going to tell me to train on the road....F*ck that. Same for any of you that will tell me to get a 29er. sorry but i am old school, to me i see 29er riders i think 29ers= a handicap. 29ers = a roady in the woods. sorry i guess i prefer the 26. Though i am open to new places to ride minus the following; Six mile, Allaire, and hartshoren. all have too many people and 29ers. haha

I was all ready to help you out.

Then you wrote this...
and i have to stop you if you are going to tell me to train on the road....F*ck that. Same for any of you that will tell me to get a 29er. sorry but i am old school, to me i see 29er riders i think 29ers= a handicap. 29ers = a roady in the woods. sorry i guess i prefer the 26. Though i am open to new places to ride minus the following; Six mile, Allaire, and hartshoren. all have too many people and 29ers. haha

Sorry man...you are on your own. Good Luck! :p

Ride cheesequake, its worth the drive to train there. If you want a tour pm Pearl, he's the boss of cq.

put the bike down for a minute and start running - mostly uphill -

and stop crapping on other peeps parks and rides....please

Last edited:
Easy on the condescending remarks , Not all of us from High Bridge support this type of attitude . Its all about riding !

While I may not be an endurance rider I can offer this advice...before you make a post asking for help, think about who your audience might be.

Then you might actually get advice rather than run over...by someone on a 29er. Or better yet, someone who trains on the road.

Geez asking for help then alienating 95% of the members :confused:

PM monkeysoup he has your back ;)

I think he was trying to be funny.... Like in all things, you have to crash sometimes to learn.

"Hey all, even though I already know it all, I'm looking for help! But before anyone has any helpful info for me I'd like to say F you! your Bike and your parks suck! oh and did I mention F you? Peace, I'm out of here to go ride my DH bike on the Henry Hudson trail"

lol

Sorry I guess I am fighting for a dieing part of the sport. Just kills me to see roadys out for rides on 29ers.. I stil think they are handicaps for previous 26ers.

Well I will stop the bashing as it seams to be a bit heavy and get to the responses. Yeah I was told two weeks ago about cheesequake, I need to look at the map and see if there is enough for a leanghy ride. And yea funny that you say running because today is my first trail run of the summer and my training program. And I am not trying to represent high bridge with any attitude ktmrider. I will try to get in contact with monkeysoup.

So no takers on motivated long rides. I keep the cooler stocked with beers and ice in the car.

Patrickbrown. I like your style.

:rolleyes: wow...I can understand not wanting to train road, I despise road, have never had a road bike...but my fs 29er is nice and probably makes things easier than a 26er, but can't possibly by any means make me a "roadie in the woods"...I stand insulted.

Is this A.L ? Spells and sounds like him.. Helmets required for these ride's?

Hey Lost,
If I get done shaving my legs this afternoon early enough I'd gladly take you on a quick tour of Allamuchy North. :popcorn:

The Vermont 50 is IMHO harder than the Leadville 100. The VT 50 climbing never ends and the weather can be evil. 9,965' of climbing in 48.5 miles.

From the video it looks like there is virtually no technical bits; just whole lotta smooth trails.

Don't go to Cheesequake. If your training do what's convenient. It's more important to get saddle time than to drive all over the state find a trail like some trail in VT. I have plenty of 50 milers that I have never ridden before the gun went off. If you are confident in your skills just get the fitness to match.

Based on Kris' (RyderX) estimation of the course you better start climbing for the next few weeks. I would try to get rides where you are not necessarily getting mad miles but go for mad elevation. Go to Allamuchy and do Cardiac 5 times - great climb fun DH down white - nice training loop. Make sure you rest the week before the race - only a couple/few easy rides. You will want fresh legs.

One final comment on your comments. There is nothing about this sport that is dying and no body is telling you to get anything. 26 vs 29 vs 650B is matter of preference. The choice of bikes available only demonstrates how the sport is evolving. If you want to become a top level MTB racer you will have to train on the road - your body simply will not take the pounding required to get the fitness and miles in the woods alone. There is also a very good chance that the 29er roadie folks you castigate would serious kick your ass on the most technical of technical trails around. I would be more than glad to give you a nice 20 to 30 mile tour of Wildcat Ridge. Hopefully I could keep up on my lame 29er; especially on the downhills.:getsome:

Last edited:
I admire the misuse of beet instead of beat. That even tops Iggy.

Wax your nuts. That's the first step.

Cheesequake is not worth the drive, I was busting your balls.

are you on strava bro?

Back
Top Bottom