looking at mid sized pickups

@Gnick I almost traded in my 15 GMC Sierra for the new Chevy ZR2. I had an older ZR2 and loved it. My current truck isn't worth any money so I have decided to keep until the 5/100k mile warranty is up. Although the Colorado/Canyon ride nicer that the Tacoma I would probably go with the Tacoma just because of the issues I have had with my last two GMC trucks. Read up on the Colorado/Canyon. There are some common problems with them.

This is my issue. It's an 08 with 130k miles. I have 90K or 2.5 years left on the warranty on the new engine. Other than that I feel like I'm driving a ticking time bomb

I'll play. I have a 15 GMC Sierra with the 6.2 - 8 spd tranny. The tranny is a POS. I have the common clunking issue and have developed the shudder within the last month. I have 37k miles. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow to have them trouble shoot the shudder which is most likely the torque converter based on what I have read.

My 2000 Chevy Silverado had no problems.

@Dingo what dealer do you work at?
Yep Torque converter. GM has us flushing the fluid and installing mobil hp. The all come back in 400 miles. The 8 spd can't make up its mind what gear to be in, very annoying to drive.

Just dont buy a 97 Toyota T100....unless you really like rust :)....Like starter motor rusting, splitting in half, falling off bell housing kind of rust.

Just dont buy a 97 Toyota T100....unless you really like rust :)....Like starter motor rusting, splitting in half, falling off bell housing kind of rust.

It's 20 years old. I can't imagine what a current GM will look like 20 years down the road. They are definitely not building these to last anymore.

@Gnick I almost traded in my 15 GMC Sierra for the new Chevy ZR2. I had an older ZR2 and loved it. My current truck isn't worth any money so I have decided to keep until the 5/100k mile warranty is up. Although the Colorado/Canyon ride nicer that the Tacoma I would probably go with the Tacoma just because of the issues I have had with my last two GMC trucks. Read up on the Colorado/Canyon. There are some common problems with them.
those start at 40k - they're cool looking but wow

My son replaced his 2013 Ford F-150 Crew 6.5 bed Ecoboost @ 80k miles (bought new).

The Ecoboost engine makes tons of power but only averages 15mpg. The reason he got rid of it was the rear seal leaked oil then the trans oil cooler line connectors corroded out and pissed out all the trans oil. Luckily the trans did not get trashed. But he quickly traded it for the '17 Tacoma. The only thing we do not like about the Tacoma is the 3.5L motor with Akin cycle. It makes no low end torque. He got the Tacoma with the 6speed manual, that motor supposedly is worse with the auto.

It's 20 years old. I can't imagine what a current GM will look like 20 years down the road. They are definitely not building these to last anymore.
I can tell ya what a 20 yr old GM looks like... Rusted brake pipes, fuel lines. At least in 2007 Gm went with coated brake pipes.
I'm making a small fortune on this rusty junk.

I can tell ya what a 20 yr old GM looks like... Rusted brake pipes, fuel lines. At least in 2007 Gm went with coated brake pipes.
I'm making a small fortune on this rusty junk.

But the exhaust is still intact.
It has probably baked a couple alternators, but replacements are free from AutoZone.

This is good stuff, I had 96 Chevy WT full size , with 180k miles. Just got rid of it last year and yes it was rusting apart. I also used the s out of it. Being in construction, hauling a ton+ of scrap wire more times than I can recall, cords of wood and yards of dirt. My gage of how much I could put in it was when it was on the bump stops. It was a V6 and got 17mpgs , but was a dog. I was bent on new GM , but dealers weren't as loyal to me as I was to brand. I did love that truck. So I bought a Ram eco diesel instead, mpgs and cost. I Had it a year now,I get 25mpgs . Around town or highway, it has lowest gear I think you can get 3.92 , this is probably the most over looked thing in a truck. It just goes. I must say I love it and will probably not go back to gas in a truck again. I put a cap on it and could fit 4 bikes with front wheels off. Haven't though. Have done 2bikes and gear for 4 adults and 2bikes on borrowed hitch mount. 4 adults weekend trip to Burke. Still got 25mpgs. It was tight, quad cab with 6.6 bed. If I had to do it again I would get Crew cab with 6.6 bed.

anyone have experience with the ecodiesel rams? quite bit more expensive but mpg's look impressive and diesel engines last forever.

this is the exact setup i was looking to buy new, they arent allowed to sell them right now, (thanks VW) until they address EPA concerns about the auxillary (read: engine failsafe) emmision control programs. There will be a recall with a new engine tune coming for the trucks already sold. (hopefully the 18s will be available in the spring, but no guarantee until it happens)

also do a search on the 1500diesel forums about this, the 14s had a run of bad oil coolers which were failing mixing oil and coolant, this was causing bearings to go out, there are guys with 30k with a new engine in the truck already (there are also guys with over 300k with the original engine still in it. very hit or miss for the 14s) Also note that the used ones are demanding a premium right now because they arent making new ones, they WILL run disproportionately expensive compared to a gas truck from the same year. some guys on the forums are getting offers for the trucks with up to 100k to buy them back for they sold for new (not everyone, but i have heard a few stories about it).

i was also talking to someone at the waway ride on thanksgiving, he said he only gets about 24-25 mixed driving from his, not the 29 advertised. i get 20-21 out of my HEMI, is that 3-4mpg worth the extra up front expense? you decide.

All i can say is with the current events relating to the trucks and the supposedly coming resolutions im happy with my hemi, especially for the price.

This is good stuff, I had 96 Chevy WT full size , with 180k miles. Just got rid of it last year and yes it was rusting apart. I also used the s out of it. Being in construction, hauling a ton+ of scrap wire more times than I can recall, cords of wood and yards of dirt. My gage of how much I could put in it was when it was on the bump stops. It was a V6 and got 17mpgs , but was a dog. I was bent on new GM , but dealers weren't as loyal to me as I was to brand. I did love that truck. So I bought a Ram eco diesel instead, mpgs and cost. I Had it a year now,I get 25mpgs . Around town or highway, it has lowest gear I think you can get 3.92 , this is probably the most over looked thing in a truck. It just goes. I must say I love it and will probably not go back to gas in a truck again. I put a cap on it and could fit 4 bikes with front wheels off. Haven't though. Have done 2bikes and gear for 4 adults and 2bikes on borrowed hitch mount. 4 adults weekend trip to Burke. Still got 25mpgs. It was tight, quad cab with 6.6 bed. If I had to do it again I would get Crew cab with 6.6 bed.
25mpgs WOW - what does the yearly maintenance look like? i know oil changes and fuel treatments are expensive. how many miles do you have on it now?

this is the exact setup i was looking to buy new, they arent allowed to sell them right now, (thanks VW) until they address EPA concerns about the auxillary (read: engine failsafe) emmision control programs. There will be a recall with a new engine tune coming for the trucks already sold. (hopefully the 18s will be available in the spring, but no guarantee until it happens)

also do a search on the 1500diesel forums about this, the 14s had a run of bad oil coolers which were failing mixing oil and coolant, this was causing bearings to go out, there are guys with 30k with a new engine in the truck already (there are also guys with over 300k with the original engine still in it. very hit or miss for the 14s) Also note that the used ones are demanding a premium right now because they arent making new ones, they WILL run disproportionately expensive compared to a gas truck from the same year. some guys on the forums are getting offers for the trucks with up to 100k to buy them back for they sold for new (not everyone, but i have heard a few stories about it).

i was also talking to someone at the waway ride on thanksgiving, he said he only gets about 24-25 mixed driving from his, not the 29 advertised. i get 20-21 out of my HEMI, is that 3-4mpg worth the extra up front expense? you decide.

All i can say is with the current events relating to the trucks and the supposedly coming resolutions im happy with my hemi, especially for the price.
yea i was reading about that oil cooler thing, and they are super expensive used even. i sure would like to drive one though.

Haha that was me you talked to. @shrpshtr325 . Very funny, I'm a bit of a pessimist so as for mileage, I'm going to under state it a little. But definitely not 29. I've done 2 oil changes and nothing else. Bad part is they don't make a 10k oil filter so you need to change it at 5k into oil change. The def needs to be topped off every 2k and I buy the 2.5 gal container. Not going to wait till I have to add more than that. 10 quarts of rotella 50 or 60 buck. Oil changes are easy and filter is a cartridge on top of engine.

yea i was reading about that oil cooler thing, and they are super expensive used even. i sure would like to drive one though.

looks like you have a current owner to ask about that, my research showed about $100 a change to do it yourself, i never noticed the 5k filter life requiring a mid run change, but that would add $25-$30 iirc.

like i said i have a HEMI in mine since they arent allowed to build/sell new ones for the last 14-16 months, but i go 10k miles on a change and spend maybe $70 on oil and filter, and get 20-21, the 25 woulda been nice, but with diesel at the same price as premium now with the DEF added in the savings is even less. I did get to drive one, IMO they feel the same as the hemi from behind the wheel, technically not as quick to 60 but it doesnt feel sluggish IMO, and for the savings i would have been plenty happy with it.

Since then i have realized i will eventually need an enclosed car hauler which would be too much for the 1500 to tow anyway, so the 1500 is my short term vehicle and when i am ready for a new trailer ill upgrade to a 2500 with the cummins in it and never look back from there.

i ended up going with a 2011 ram. a friend of a friend is a sales guy at a new honda dealer and they had a 2011 laramie come in with only 44k on it. crew cab, 2wd, 5' bed. he gave it to me for considerably less than bluebook, and i didnt have to fight and haggle. has all sorts of nice features and is way more truck than i need. averaged 20mpg on the 35mile drive home last night.

after thorough research a mid sized pickup would be good for a year or two, but as my family grows i'm going to need the space. also i found out my company expenses mileage in addition to the car allowance so i wasn't as worried about the mpg.

i ended up going with a 2011 ram. a friend of a friend is a sales guy at a new honda dealer and they had a 2011 laramie come in with only 44k on it. crew cab, 2wd, 5' bed. he gave it to me for considerably less than bluebook, and i didnt have to fight and haggle. has all sorts of nice features and is way more truck than i need. averaged 20mpg on the 35mile drive home last night.

after thorough research a mid sized pickup would be good for a year or two, but as my family grows i'm going to need the space. also i found out my company expenses mileage in addition to the car allowance so i wasn't as worried about the mpg.

welcome to the crew, i think youll be happy with the truck, hopefully you dont care if your bike is covered with only the 5.5 ft bed. (or you will have to get a full blown cap)

welcome to the crew, i think youll be happy with the truck, hopefully you dont care if your bike is covered with only the 5.5 ft bed. (or you will have to get a full blown cap)
i like it so far. super quick with the 3.92 rear end. I thought about the cap thing. I'll grab a locking hitch mount or maybe start looking for a cap at some point, but for now ill be in good shape just going back and forth to the places i usually ride

yea the 3.92s are quick off the line, is that the 6 speed still or did 2011 have the 8 speed?

i have the 8 speed w/ 3.23 (i think) in mine and it moves plenty good enough when the need arises (i also have the challenger if i actually want to go fast)

im not looking to go fast, ill drive it like the old man who had it before me. but its sure nice to be able to pull out into traffic, unlike my wifes 4 banger equinox

Back
Top Bottom