looking at mid sized pickups

Just ask; if they are evasive, walk.
Always remembre YOU are the boss, not them.
oh yea - i've got up and walked out of quite a few stealerships. its funny how you always seem to get a call back. I've had some good experiences as well though.

Reactions: w_b
i've been doing some research and looked at a couple crew cab mid-sized trucks. Car seats do not fit well in the tundra and frontier. I'm not a big guy (5'8") and i'd have to move my seat up. might have to go the full sized route and up my budget a bit

I took a car seat with me when I went car/truck shopping. I was surprised at just how big a car/truck you needed to comfortably fit a rearward facing car seat in. My accord fits a car seat better than my Acadia GMC but both are somewhat uncomfortable for my wife (5-11") to sit in the passenger seat. I would have gone with an f150 if I had room to park it.

My 2013 f-150 supercrew has plenty of room in the back seat. The newest ones with the V6 ecoboost and 10 speed (!) trans have decent mileage numbers.
Mine with the 5.0 V8 & 6 speed auto struggles to get 18 mpg on the highway, but I tend to have a heavy foot though...

Reactions: w_b
good discussion; I've been hemming over a Tundra or f150. For years now I just can't kill my 4R and Highlander, so ridin them out...

Prolly just jinx'd it.

oh so much negativity about GM here :( but I love my Canyon SLE V6 so far but I purchased it in Feb and have only 12K miles.
With $6K off msrp it beats similar priced Ridgeline and I did not like Hondas seats.

I've got a '16 GMC Sierra SLT and I love it. I had a 2004 Colorado before that and never had a problem.

My Sierra gets significantly better gas mileage than my Colorado did. Your observations about midsize fuel economy being less than desired are very correct. They don't get great mileage because they are underpowered. For the increase in price in going to a full size you get better fuel economy, more power and more room i.e. more comfort.

A car seat does fit in my Sierra Crew Cab just fine but I have it behind the passenger seat. I am only 5'10" so even if it were behind the driver seat it would be fine. My brother-in-law just bought a crew cab F150. It has significantly more rear seat leg room than the GM full size. He is 6'4" and has 2 car seats in the back seat and he can adjust the driver seat where he wants it with no problem.

One final note pertaining to bikes. I have the 6.5" bed and for the price of some 2x4s and screws I made a bike rack that fits in the bed. So for less than $20 I was good to go. You can't beat pickups for the versatility.

I've got a '16 GMC Sierra SLT and I love it. I had a 2004 Colorado before that and never had a problem.

My Sierra gets significantly better gas mileage than my Colorado did. Your observations about midsize fuel economy being less than desired are very correct. They don't get great mileage because they are underpowered. For the increase in price in going to a full size you get better fuel economy, more power and more room i.e. more comfort.

A car seat does fit in my Sierra Crew Cab just fine but I have it behind the passenger seat. I am only 5'10" so even if it were behind the driver seat it would be fine. My brother-in-law just bought a crew cab F150. It has significantly more rear seat leg room than the GM full size. He is 6'4" and has 2 car seats in the back seat and he can adjust the driver seat where he wants it with no problem.

One final note pertaining to bikes. I have the 6.5" bed and for the price of some 2x4s and screws I made a bike rack that fits in the bed. So for less than $20 I was good to go. You can't beat pickups for the versatility.
glad to hear you've had a good experience. at this point i'm mainly looking at full sized trucks with crew cabs. i appreciate everyone weighing in.

i'll be shooting for something used. 50-60 thousand miles in the 18-24k range. could spend more, but no reason to. rams seem to be the cheapest, then chevy, then ford. looks like i need to start test driving. from what i've read these trucks commonly hit 200k without much more than maintenance, but of course there are duds in every batch.

glad to hear you've had a good experience. at this point i'm mainly looking at full sized trucks with crew cabs. i appreciate everyone weighing in.

i'll be shooting for something used. 50-60 thousand miles in the 18-24k range. could spend more, but no reason to. rams seem to be the cheapest, then chevy, then ford. looks like i need to start test driving. from what i've read these trucks commonly hit 200k without much more than maintenance, but of course there are duds in every batch.

Same situation here. Between an aging honda pilot and sierra long bed pickup truck I need a single vehicle for family and utility. As of now I'm leaning towards the ram 1500 crew cab because it has coil springs in the rear instead of leaf. And with all the bed extension gadgets out there a short box can haul 10ft lumber pretty easily. 390 horsepower is cool too.

for both of you looking, the ram crew cab IS available with a 6.5 foot bed you just have to look/ask for it, its not common as most get the 5.5foot bed, i was planning to order one originally just for the sake of future proofing the purchase but the quad cab is definitely big enough for me, at least for the forseeable future.

been looking into fords with ecoboost - really surprised to find that the 6cyl twin turbo doesnt give any better gas mileage than the 5.3 vortec or 5.7 hemi. I thought that was the whole point.

They have those ECOs setup so they build boost almost the second you touch the pedal. Always "on the pipe."

Get the V8.

the 5.3 and 6.2 shut down cylinders when coasting/not accelerating, and they have the power at the base end.
the penalty is weight, but an engine that will last longer than anything boosted. that monster yukon xl i had did better than 20 on the highway.
think i posted a pic of the trip consumption going to lk george - will try to find.

anyone have experience with the ecodiesel rams? quite bit more expensive but mpg's look impressive and diesel engines last forever.

the 5.3 and 6.2 shut down cylinders when coasting/not accelerating, and they have the power at the base end.
the penalty is weight, but an engine that will last longer than anything boosted. that monster yukon xl i had did better than 20 on the highway.
think i posted a pic of the trip consumption going to lk george - will try to find.

They burn oil instead of gas. Cost me a new engine in my Suburban by 110k miles.

that sucks just out of the 100k - 5.3 or 6.2?

5.3 They had already done pistons and rings the year before to "fix" the problem, then the engine blew. Well at least they credited me the $2k I already paid for the pistons and rings.:thumbsdown: Google "5.3 oil consumption." You can read for days how I'm not alone. Done with GM.

Just one more bash on GM. The 2014-18 have a chitload of stupid problems. I'm there on the front line when the customers are in the shop stomping their feet. Most everyone says "I cannot believe" how much better their old truck was WAY better, pre -2006GM, Ford or Dodge. You have been warned...
5.3 They had already done pistons and rings the year before to "fix" the problem, then the engine blew. Well at least they credited me the $2k I already paid for the pistons and rings.:thumbsdown: Google "5.3 oil consumption." You can read for days how I'm not alone. Done with GM.

I've done a chitload of pistons/rings, and not just on the V/8's. It's only a band aid because 40,000 miles later the oil consumption starts over. Have personal friend that I did the pistons on, just hit 40k and like clockwork the oil is disappearing.
The direct injection engines (2014 to now) have been ok with oil consumption. They have their own problems.

The best thing to do with the DOD engines is disable the lifters from shutting down. Does not seam to effect fuel mileage too badly, but keeps the oil consumption within normal.

Not to worry; GM fixed the oil burning issue: They put out a TSB stating "oil burning is OK."

The effort they expended on this fix really shows through. Eff them.

I'll play. I have a 15 GMC Sierra with the 6.2 - 8 spd tranny. The tranny is a POS. I have the common clunking issue and have developed the shudder within the last month. I have 37k miles. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow to have them trouble shoot the shudder which is most likely the torque converter based on what I have read.

My 2000 Chevy Silverado had no problems.

@Dingo what dealer do you work at?

Back
Top Bottom