Looking ahead 5-10 years. Where do you drop your Benjamins?

w_b

I have been investing in VHS and cassette, it is coming back and I do not see how you could buy it any cheaper than what is out there now. People are literally “throwing it away”. Plus it is not some “digital” investment that can be hacked away.
My Mom left a lot of VHS. Prolly worth millions.

2 fat ladies, got all the episodes.
That’s Gold Jerry, GOLD.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have been investing in VHS and cassette, it is coming back and I do not see how you could buy it any cheaper than what is out there now.

Smart, but I'm playing the longer game. People are gonna eventually realize that betamax is the superior format, and I've got that shit locked down. I also believe strongly in diversification, so I've also stockpiled HD DVD players...fuck Blu-ray!

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
they don't have to recover - even tho they probably will.
ya gotta figure out which are the next to double -
or just buy them all.....let the market cap weight system do its thing.
Well if u r in the hole on them u do need to wait. Not if you are a bew buyer.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Well if u r in the hole on them u do need to wait. Not if you are a bew buyer.

What's the difference? Hold.until long term so you can harvest the loss, sell and move on. It is just a line on a chart until you spend it.

Didn't you support a 10% stop loss or trailing stop along the way?

Ride them up, not down.
I learned my lesson with ge and cisco when they were fighting for the largest mkt cap.

rick81721

Lothar
Well, this was a few weeks back but basically gonna 50% loss takes 100% gain to recoup. So what are your investments that are going to double to make up for the losses? Even a 35% loss on aapl now ( safe haven no less) will take years to come back.View attachment 202748

Folly of owning individual stocks. S&P lost 50% in the crash of 2009 and fully recovered 3 years later. My guess is a small recession next year will make things worse, but will bounce back quickly.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
What's the difference? Hold.until long term so you can harvest the loss, sell and move on. It is just a line on a chart until you spend it.

Didn't you support a 10% stop loss or trailing stop along the way?

Ride them up, not down.
I learned my lesson with ge and cisco when they were fighting for the largest mkt cap.
Yes. I use stop losses still on most stuff but some smaller allocations are too volatile/risky. Also why these are small, speculative positions. MSOS and GDXU being examples. The intraday moves would clean you out every time. One strategy I am working on as an accumulation plan is swing trading SPY. Combining this with selling covered calls can be a great way to accumulate shares. Basically just sell monthly covered calls near the top of longer term swing cycles. 66day MA will get you close if you ise that with basic trend lines.

Patrick

Staff member
Yes. I use stop losses still on most stuff but some smaller allocations are too volatile/risky. Also why these are small, speculative positions. MSOS and GDXU being examples. The intraday moves would clean you out every time. One strategy I am working on as an accumulation plan is swing trading SPY. Combining this with selling covered calls can be a great way to accumulate shares. Basically just sell monthly covered calls near the top of longer term swing cycles. 66day MA will get you close if you ise that with basic trend lines.

Speculating is fine - the expected outcome is $0 from any 1 stock. just gotta hit one out of group no?????

if you believe it is going to yo-yo for a few years - you might be able to harvest some cash.
The drawback with the covered call strategy is making a nickel and missing out on a dollar.
Are there wash sale rules to worry about? call is triggered and you are locked out for a month.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Speculating is fine - the expected outcome is $0 from any 1 stock. just gotta hit one out of group no?????

if you believe it is going to yo-yo for a few years - you might be able to harvest some cash.
The drawback with the covered call strategy is making a nickel and missing out on a dollar.
Are there wash sale rules to worry about? call is triggered and you are locked out for a month.
There are wash rules. I would be ok if they got called away. But this strategy typically works 90% of the time as you use it with swing pivots,5/9/20ma and weekly/monthly supply/demand levels. Sort of use reversals to enter the move with an initial position. Add if it pulls back before going higher or goes higher before going down you can add to a full position. If it doesn't give you that opportunity ride initial investment down adjust keep your eye on the daily candle close making surfeits riding the MAs down or up. Looking intraday will drive you nuts.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Wow, TSLA holders taking it on the chin! Down 60% in 2 months. David Tepper saying on cbs that the s&p is 1500 points over valued accordi g to where the fed put is…gulp.

Patrick

Staff member
Maybe they got in low?
Funds are selling to maintain ratios

w_b

Dollar cost average. Keep buying slow and steady according to your risk tolerance.

Me personally I’m thinking about a road trip to Vegas. Take my time and when I get there put it all on Red.

phillychris498

It would take alot to DCA into TSLA. $104 pre market and sown 50% in the last month alone.
I feel like Elon is in for a tough next year with TSLA. Used the value of his TSLA shares to get $44 billion worth of loans to buy twitter, and now needs to sell huge amounts of shares to pay his loans, which is helping to fuel the Tesla selloff. I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla fell to COVID lows, near $30. That’s where the next support level is.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I feel like Elon is in for a tough next year with TSLA. Used the value of his TSLA shares to get $44 billion worth of loans to buy twitter, and now needs to sell huge amounts of shares to pay his loans, which is helping to fuel the Tesla selloff. I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla fell to COVID lows, near $30. That’s where the next support level is.
Just shorted aapl with feb 110/105 put spread for .75 . Risking $75 for a whole lot in return.

Top Bottom