Looking ahead 5-10 years. Where do you drop your Benjamins?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I remember several here yoloing into DKNG in early 2022…how’d that work out?
That is the ending allocation... :D

Not that I don't believe there will be digital currency - just not something where someone says, "hey, this is digital currency"
It’s about something that I believe will appreciate in value again. I don’t believe bitcoin has value per se but it does go up and down. I din’t think the bottom is in until Binance, Coinbase or Microstrategy capitulates.
For the record real digital currency is functional and in use. Just look up the Chinese government backed crypto.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
10 yrs is about my window.

Still DCA into index funds and equities.

Recession be dammed.
I think we are in for a rude awakening within the next year. I am thinking the next month more than likely. Not a single stock out there has broken out and held it. All of the mega caps have either collapsed or are just starting too. Honestly, I think what Elon is doing on twitter and to tesla is a crazy plan to strip wealth from the upper tier of wealthy people. TSLA is bringing everything else down with the it and the top shareholders are pissed!

SAM

I think we are in for a rude awakening within the next year. I am thinking the next month more than likely. Not a single stock out there has broken out and held it. All of the mega caps have either collapsed or are just starting too. Honestly, I think what Elon is doing on twitter and to tesla is a crazy plan to strip wealth from the upper tier of wealthy people. TSLA is bringing everything else down with the it and the top shareholders are pissed!
Not selling anything. Buy on the way down, sell on the way up. It's basic.

Can't wait for the awakening. What a great buying opportunity for select securities if it really happens.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Not selling anything. Buy on the way down, sell on the way up. It's basic.

Can't wait for the awakening. What a great buying opportunity for select securities if it really happens.
I think the problem is we may be near or past the easy money. I don't see the markets going up up up from here. \Many bag holders already and many more to come. It must suck owning Bitcoin at $70K or Arkk at $130+

w_b

I think the problem is we may be near or past the easy money. I don't see the markets going up up up from here. \Many bag holders already and many more to come. It must suck owning Bitcoin at $70K or Arkk at $130+
I use my funky accounting, and pull out my principal first, therefore my funky cost basis is zero. I’m mostly playing with house money. Win win maybe kids get into college…

xmonger

You may be right. The COVID printing press papered over some problems but created some new ones. Most markets are broken and I don't see a fix coming anytime soon.

I'm not selling anything though. I'm taking it on the chin like everyone else and staying the course.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Isn’t this thread supposed to be about looking ahead?

You guys should just start sports gambling.

as a fellow golden turd recipient, i'd advise against it.

;)

BTW - the reason i own all of them is the total US and Intl mkt funds........
which if i live another 5-10......

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
as a fellow golden turd recipient, i'd advise against it.

;)

BTW - the reason i own all of them is the total US and Intl mkt funds........
which if i live another 5-10......
I talked to my FIL last night. I told gim my conservative poroach with this bear market/recession. He said it’s acceptable that his personal retirement account is down $100k this year because is financial advisot said so and “everyone else is down”. You don’t need to call the exact top as a money manager but to get a good chunk of the up and a good chunk of the down should be part of your job. Not losing people money. Are you all prepared if thw market goes sideway like 68-82? @rick81721 ?

Patrick

Staff member
Since i'm an SP500 fan for the majority of $

Could look at it as down from the top in 12/21 , 18% less dividend (2%ish/yr so 16%), or 20% up from Jan 2020 + divided so up 26%) or about 8% per year
which isn't far off the 30 year average. reference

Interesting that it is roughly the same drop for my income fund VWEAX (which i use instead of a traditional bond fund) - it is off 13% from the high, but it generates lots of cash.
Problem is that the bulk is junk rated bonds. Might be playing with fire here. Annualized return is around 5% right now.
Using the mythical $100,000 in investment, it would throw off about $450/month

The percentages quoted do not include div reinvestment except where i adjusted for the divided.

I think I'm doing better than the money we have "under management" - cause they drag their fee out of the portfolio,
and keep a couple percent in cash - which missed the gain.

Mainstay has a nice income fund - MHCAX
BXSL looks interesting too.

Looking for a high div corp fund? VHYAX
year-to-date, off 2% + 3% annual dividend......taxed at dividend rate.

rick81721

Lothar
I talked to my FIL last night. I told gim my conservative poroach with this bear market/recession. He said it’s acceptable that his personal retirement account is down $100k this year because is financial advisot said so and “everyone else is down”. You don’t need to call the exact top as a money manager but to get a good chunk of the up and a good chunk of the down should be part of your job. Not losing people money. Are you all prepared if thw market goes sideway like 68-82? @rick81721 ?

No reason to believe a repeat of that time period - but even if it did, the S&P averaged 6.8% annual return.

120.jpg

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
No reason to believe a repeat of that time period - but even if it did, the S&P averaged 6.8% annual return.

View attachment 202705
Well, this was a few weeks back but basically gonna 50% loss takes 100% gain to recoup. So what are your investments that are going to double to make up for the losses? Even a 35% loss on aapl now ( safe haven no less) will take years to come back.5654F1E8-6656-40C2-822F-57B693E94AD7.jpeg

Patrick

Staff member
Well, this was a few weeks back but basically gonna 50% loss takes 100% gain to recoup. So what are your investments that are going to double to make up for the losses? Even a 35% loss on aapl now ( safe haven no less) will take years to come back.View attachment 202748

they don't have to recover - even tho they probably will.
ya gotta figure out which are the next to double -
or just buy them all.....let the market cap weight system do its thing.

Top Bottom