Lewis Morris

That's a good rant, well done!

I'm not going to counter anything you say. It's all valid. And I have to be honest, when I went to the Marty's site to look up the phone number the same thought struck me about the "reliable" part. Funny stuff.

I think the redundancy should be a paper trail. I know a promoter who was thinking something along the lines of number plates with rip-off tags. So when you finish and go down that chute, the rip-off gets pulled and given to the redundant scorer. So even if you don't know your time at least you know how you placed. Even a video recorder would work as redundancy. Just plop it along the fire road and record the whole race. Hope you don't need to go back and watch it but if you do, you can.

On Ringwood, I believe you were flamed because you flamed first. But please let's either leave that alone or bring up the old thread since it's a separate conversation.

If they lost the results, I agree we should get a refund. But as I posted in another thread, they weren't lost.

I know my times since I used a Garmin with auto laps - I want to know the other times. According to last years results I got third or fourth. That'll be a surprise to the guys in front of me :D

Seriously though, props to Marty's. I appreciated how well the race was run and hope that the scoring delay is just a glitch that will be fixed. Even if not I don't think they should refund race fees. It is a risk we take as racers.

I know my times since I used a Garmin with auto laps - I want to know the other times. According to last years results I got third or fourth. That'll be a surprise to the guys in front of me :D

Seriously though, props to Marty's. I appreciated how well the race was run and hope that the scoring delay is just a glitch that will be fixed. Even if not I don't think they should refund race fees. It is a risk we take as racers.

Oh do tell. Post your race link from motionbased. I'll upload mine this afternoon and we can compare!

NERDS RULE!

That's a good rant, well done!

I think the redundancy should be a paper trail. I know a promoter who was thinking something along the lines of number plates with rip-off tags. So when you finish and go down that chute, the rip-off gets pulled and given to the redundant scorer. So even if you don't know your time at least you know how you placed. Even a video recorder would work as redundancy. Just plop it along the fire road and record the whole race. Hope you don't need to go back and watch it but if you do, you can.

Thanks for the support, Norm.

I believe they have a paper trail at Allamuchy. Some of the scoring devices have what looks like a cash register receipt tape coming out of the top. I never looked much closer, but I'm guessing it has the racer's # and a time stamp next to it. That way if all the electronics go down, they have at least that. And hopefully the paper/ink combo is water-resistant. You need that at Allamuchy.

The Michaux Endurance Series uses the tear-off numbers you describe. I did the Terror of Teaberry last year, and it worked amazingly well. The bottom section of your number is perforated to facilitate tearing off. When you pick it up, it already has you name, #, and class on it. As you come across the finish line, an official rips it off, rights your time and place on it, and then sticks it to a bulletin board. By far the quickest, simplest and most reliable system I've ever seen.

Within seconds of crossing the finish line, I knew I was in 77th (or was it 79th?) place, and that both Chris Eatough and Harlan Price beat me by almost 4 hours.

Since the numbers were Tyvek and written on with a Sharpie, the odds are pretty darn good it will survive to the finish, no matter how bad the weather.

The video system is easy to use, and could be reviewed to resolve disputes, but you still have to have reliable power that will last all day, and weather-resistance issues.

wow, 31.2mph? Dam thats hammereing. I can normally hit 24-25 through the last section and I feel like im going to travel back in time. Of course this is on my crappy hardtail with a toy fork :D

^bushpig mine was 40:20. Minus the 2 min for the start, so 38:20. Which was pretty close to the 38:16 my timer stated. I was in 30-39

Not to say I prefer the MASS series or anything, but I do think Campmor has a lot to learn. For example, after Fair Hills, the results were online in the time it took us to get home, they uploaded them straight from the event, same thing as most of the 'cross races, results for the race, standings for the series, and pictures, in a few days max...I'm not quite sure why our series can't seem to get that:hmmm:

-Jim.

i finished ahead of greg h. and behind the guy in the red jersey. will this info help? some of us dont feel they need to race w/ computers. im on the refund line when it forms.

Isn't he just aodrable :D

Christina ... :)

Here is Bill's (yes he's an expert):
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5861036

And mine (sport 35-39):
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValue=5881295

Fred got me by about 30 seconds per lap. My goal was to be under 1:40:00. My moving time was 1:39:57. Score! Actually I forgot to turn it off right away so it was probably more like 1:39:50. :)

Thanks for sharing. I did alright on lap 1,2and 4 butI really sucked ass on 3. I'm missing something still. Call it lack of sperience orsumtin, i dunnano.

wow, 31.2mph? Dam thats hammereing. I can normally hit 24-25 through the last section and I feel like im going to travel back in time. Of course this is on my crappy hardtail with a toy fork :D

I usually go fast up and down. I haven't figured out that flat stuff yet.

we could redo the race on motion-based: "my gps is beating your gps!":D

I got a garmin 305 (apparently it was on sale because they just released a new model that's smaller than a shoe!) but haven't got all the features down yet. I recorded the race tho! I didn't figure out auto lap yet so I pressed the lap button each round.:confused:

I hope they at least learn their lesson and scrap this silly Compuscore system in favor of good old fashioned pencil and paper next year.
You still want to use pencil and paper or would you like to revise this statement?

You still want to use pencil and paper or would you like to revise this statement?

Not at all. I believe this was the year they more or less had to fabricate the results from top to bottom. So I think the pencil & paper would be an improvement to Harry Potter's Fantasy Scoring.

Back
Top Bottom