Lewis Morris Conditions

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The lower trails were pretty shit by the time I got out there today. I ended up getting off the bike on Red and walked my way out to higher ground. All of orange and then the Teal climb up were perfect so I thought it’d be good. The lower trails are just holding a ton of water still. If you get out here before thaw you’ll be good...but it’s a rutted out mess.

xc62701

The lower trails were pretty shit by the time I got out there today. I ended up getting off the bike on Red and walked my way out to higher ground. All of orange and then the Teal climb up were perfect so I thought it’d be good. The lower trails are just holding a ton of water still. If you get out here before thaw you’ll be good...but it’s a rutted out mess.
Thanks for doing the right thing. I usually avoid LM this point of year since I don’t want to get pissed off at irresponsible riders.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This was the scene at LewMo this afternoon. I didn’t even make it to the “bad” trails.

32CEF42D-74FB-43CD-97A1-4E4415F8F7E8.jpeg
6F59BB61-1408-4083-9758-98AE49D52750.jpeg
F8FE6C4D-08FB-413E-BA12-1DFBC2E8ADC9.jpeg
8298E21A-A707-45D0-BCC8-377D0D9DA2A1.jpeg

The parking lot was literally filled with bike racks at 3:30pm. Saw a NICA group of about 25 kids headed in as well.

Last edited:

stilluf

This was the scene at LewMo this afternoon. I didn’t even make it to the “bad” trails.

The parking lot was literally filled with bike racks at 3:30pm. Saw a NICA group of about 25 kids headed in as well.
This is an embarrassment for the MTB community. Not sure which is worse: lack of awareness or lack of caring. Just hope that some of the Mud Heroes show up for trail maintenance.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
This is an embarrassment for the MTB community. Not sure which is worse: lack of awareness or lack of caring. Just hope that some of the Mud Heroes show up for trail maintenance.

tbh close the park for 2 months to riders, parks police is basically within the property and ticket everyone. I've stayed away from lewmo because its been a wet winter and there is a shit ton of good riding within 30 minutes that handle moisture very well. People are fucking stupid and its sad to see NICA rolling out to this.

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
Agree, that's why when I heard the report above I went to Huber. The trails were good there and LewMo and Harts/Huber are both 30 mins from me but in the opposite direction. I do like LewMo for good cardio but not at the expense of the trails; those ruts look awful.

xc62701

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Totally sad and irresponsible riders. This place attracts them like magnets. This looks to be the six mile of the north...
A lot of it is a lack of awareness. Both parks are hotspots for the weekend warriors that are looking for a fun way to enjoy the outdoors when the weather is nice and truly don’t know the impact.

Seeing people on $6,000 bikes wearing full kit, on the other hand, just shows outright neglect. I really hope the leader of that NICA pack did the right thing and turned back...they were at the pavilion about to get started when I saw them.

Xler8

Although I understand the debate of not riding in poor conditions, but in the grand scheme of things, is it really that serious? It’s just dirt. After a few rain storms, it’ll wash out. A few ruts here and there does not signify permanent damage. No one is out there with a bobcat cutting new trails that shouldn’t be. If conditions are that poor, then no one should be out there, by foot, by bike, or by horse. And we all know that’s not going to happen.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My issue with it, is if you look at those pictures I posted...ten years ago that was all narrow singletrack. Improper use causes widening of the trails and massive erosion. This is an environmental impact, and if bikes are continually linked to adverse impacts to the parks we will eventually be banned, as we already have been in many situations. Look at the Kindgom Trails controversy going on in Vermont. One of the Northeast’s most popular bike destinations just pulled the plug for mountain bikes. We are not entitled to ride on these trails and if we don’t respect that fact we will soon have no where to ride.

Xler8

Kingdom trails and LewMo cannot be looked at as a comparison. They are two totally different animals not just in scalebut also in the number of users, maintenance, build type, etc. Not only that, but the controversy in KT seems to be revolving around how people treat other people.

There’s something to be said about how trails are built and maintained when it comes to erosion. Erosion is a phenomenon that will happen naturally regardless with Mother Nature being the biggest contributor. If trails are built such that they promote adequate rain off and don’t hold water, then there would be a different conversation.

Its easy to blame, however solutions are scarce.

stilluf

Although I understand the debate of not riding in poor conditions, but in the grand scheme of things, is it really that serious? It’s just dirt. After a few rain storms, it’ll wash out. A few ruts here and there does not signify permanent damage. No one is out there with a bobcat cutting new trails that shouldn’t be. If conditions are that poor, then no one should be out there, by foot, by bike, or by horse. And we all know that’s not going to happen.
Yes, it is serious because this shows irresponsible stewardship. Trail access can be just as easily taken away as granted (look at what we went through in Union County), and when our community acts irresponsibly, then it directly and negatively impacts our reputation for responsible trail use. Yes it's true that no other user group gets as much scrutiny as MTB, but this is the universe we live in. So when I see pictures like these, see afternoon rides on Strava, and hear that riders at Chimney this weekend looked like they were at Six Mile, it makes me sad because I know how hard many people have worked to get access to those trails, and yet the actions of just a few can make all that hard work worthless.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
We will address this issue on our next NICA coaching call. I know of two teams that rode there that day; one did drills at the sugarloaf lot and didn't hit trails and the other team was there earlier in the day and avoided low spots.

Either way, we are taking steps to educate coaches and students regarding the optics and potential negative impacts of riding in these conditions.

argyle

Has there ever been any discussion to add advocacy signage to trailheads concerning subpar conditions?
Of course going through the proper channels to make it happen. But this could speak to all three trail user groups to benefit everyone.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
We will address this issue on our next NICA coaching call. I know of two teams that rode there that day; one did drills at the sugarloaf lot and didn't hit trails and the other team was there earlier in the day and avoided low spots.

Either way, we are taking steps to educate coaches and students regarding the optics and potential negative impacts of riding in these conditions.
Thanks Ken. This is the best course of action at this point. MCPC has more properties to police than they have staff for.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Thanks for posting this. I was gonna text you this thread as I just saw it tonight.

We (the Veloraptors) often go to LewMo and several times this year have just gone down Patriot’s Path if conditions are poor. I wasn’t there on the day in question but I know several of our kids & head coaches do TM and are well aware of the trail issues.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Has there ever been any discussion to add advocacy signage to trailheads concerning subpar conditions?
Of course going through the proper channels to make it happen. But this could speak to all three trail user groups to benefit everyone.

Yes - some parks are resistant to the idea of more signs. (somerset county)
Not sure where it stands with LM, and mcp commission.

Perhaps they would be more amenable to temporary banners during mud events. ie this winter.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions